Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium Experts Plz Help..

Hello fellow welders-
    Next week my time is up, to face the music on an AWS 1/8th Titanium butt weld for cert. Not allowed any gap what so ever, straight up flush butt weld. **** you AWS, your Monsters!!

I'm pretty much getting sporadic results on my test pieces. It's such a fine line of reading the puddle vs. excessive penetration root side.

Looking to achieve a 3/1 ratio as in (3)face vs (1)root penetration ultimately.

Have my purge box, face protected by trailing cup extension, garbage.

Amperage- Rule is 1amp per thousandth, 1/8th =.125 hence an immediate 125 amp. I'm feeling that just wont cut it. I know with stainless 316 it requires 10% bump (12.5). Which puts us at 137.5 amp. Though titanium (Grade 2) seems to require more. Or compensate via travel speed, i dunno yet, quite honestly..

I start, load up with rod to build a readable puddle. Not much to read into Ti though, (no cats eyes etc), i was taught wait till puddle is truly clear, mirror like, then you know your getting pen. Past milky/foggy puddle, to true mirror quality. Well by then am I pushing it too much? Was told, clear means add an move, ie: fill and get off quickly.

I place purge fixture on 45% angle towards me, so i can see what puddle trail is doing. Puddle shimmer means drop through to me. Am I looking for light, med, or heavy shimmer?

Noticed face usually sits flush with mild rod dips. No, concavity issues up top. Yet trying to read and use gravity to my advantage at same time.

Its literally driving me BATS!! Have to get this dialed in.

Any help greatly appreciated!!
    Pleeeeease Help!!
    Thanks!!
    gg

Titanium Experts Plz Help..

Geez, cant even say Dam as in holding rivers back on here.. Touchy touchy!!

Comment

Originally posted by GG47 View Post
      Hello fellow welders-
      Next week my time is up, to face the music on an AWS 1/8th Titanium butt weld for cert. Not allowed any gap what so ever, straight up flush butt weld. **** you AWS, your Monsters!!

I'm pretty much getting sporadic results on my test pieces. It's such a fine line of reading the puddle vs. excessive penetration root side.

Looking to achieve a 3/1 ratio as in (3)face vs (1)root penetration ultimately.

Have my purge box, face protected by trailing cup extension, garbage.

Amperage- Rule is 1amp per thousandth, 1/8th =.125 hence an immediate 125 amp. I'm feeling that just wont cut it. I know with stainless 316 it requires 10% bump (12.5). Which puts us at 137.5 amp. Though titanium (Grade 2) seems to require more. Or compensate via travel speed, i dunno yet, quite honestly..

I start, load up with rod to build a readable puddle. Not much to read into Ti though, (no cats eyes etc), i was taught wait till puddle is truly clear, mirror like, then you know your getting pen. Past milky/foggy puddle, to true mirror quality. Well by then am I pushing it too much? Was told, clear means add an move, ie: fill and get off quickly.

I place purge fixture on 45% angle towards me, so i can see what puddle trail is doing. Puddle shimmer means drop through to me. Am I looking for light, med, or heavy shimmer?

Noticed face usually sits flush with mild rod dips. No, concavity issues up top. Yet trying to read and use gravity to my advantage at same time.

Its literally driving me BATS!! Have to get this dialed in.

Any help greatly appreciated!!
      Pleeeeease Help!!
      Thanks!!
      gg
      You just have to be consistent with the amps, travel speed and filler addition, which comes with practice. It can be tedious but as you practice it will get easier. I can't imagine having the fixture on that angle though.

>>Have my purge box, face protected by trailing cup extension, garbage.<<
      If you're using a purge box you shouldn't need the trailing cup

I passed this test many years ago, we also had to do a thick to thin fillet joint

Good luck!
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

Working...
      X