Using the spool gun on cast Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cityjack View Post
    All I have access to is 6061-T6 bar stock. No cast. Will the settings for the barstock be comparable? Also type of .030 wire you think would act best for this cast work? The 4043 or 5356?

Thanks

Sid
    No Cast available..??... ??? how about dead Briggs.. Tecumseh motors etc??
    neighbors..??... local outdoor power products repair place have a scrap bin..??
    (used castings will give you real world experience with oil soaked castings too)

If it were me......
    NO 5356.... it will see service above 150-F.. so that is out..
    4943 if you can get it.. otherwise 4043...
    others may have a better idea..
    but that would be my 2cents..

FWIW... Given the choice... I would TIG it... 99 out of 100 times...
    but I do understand that you do not have that choice
    Last edited by H80N; 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Sir, you wouldn't be Kevin Caron from youtube would you?

Just curious.

No thats not me. Also 4043 would be your best guess at wire. If possible mill out that broken piece through the case. Then weld up the bushing on the outside. Then weld up the inside. Remember aluminum welding with a spool gun is not like steel. You must move fast and find the proper travel speed. Travel speed will go from slow to fast very quickly. Or the weld pool will be on the floor.
      kevin
      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
      Ln25
      Miller spectrum 625
      Miller 30a spoolgun
      Wc115a
      Lincoln 210mp
      F550 imt service truck

Comment

Advice taken

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
        No thats not me. Also 4043 would be your best guess at wire. If possible mill out that broken piece through the case. Then weld up the bushing on the outside. Then weld up the inside. Remember aluminum welding with a spool gun is not like steel. You must move fast and find the proper travel speed. Travel speed will go from slow to fast very quickly. Or the weld pool will be on the floor.
        kevin
        Thanks guys. getting off early today to go pick up my Argon.

Have a good day.

Sid

Comment

Spool gun works!

Hey guys,

I was successful building up the broken boss on the casting. I drilled out the newly built up boss where it was needed getting it ready for a tap. But looking at it now, I probably should have built up more on one of the sides because after tapping I'll have a thin wall on one side and it'll probably break again.

How can I build up more with the spoolgun without filling in the already drilled out hole? Can I put a drill bit in the hole and reweld? Will the aluminum not stick to the drill bit and keep my hole good?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Hey guys,

I was successful building up the broken boss on the casting. I drilled out the newly built up boss where it was needed getting it ready for a tap. But looking at it now, I probably should have built up more on one of the sides because after tapping I'll have a thin wall on one side and it'll probably break again.

How can I build up more with the spoolgun without filling in the already drilled out hole? Can I put a drill bit in the hole and reweld? Will the aluminum not stick to the drill bit and keep my hole good?

Thanks

Sid
            why not just build up enough weld then just redrill it..??

is there some problem..??

why try and preserve the hole..??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 200

Comment

Keeping the hole

Originally posted by H80N View Post
              why not just build up enough weld then just redrill it..??

is there some problem..??

why try and preserve the hole..??
              I'd like to try to keep the hole. Its .196 x 1/2 dp and straight. It then needs to be tapped. Not sure if I can fill it successfully at the bottom and then if I do not drill in the exact same spot again my hole for tapping will not be strong. The hole is exactly where I want it, only thin wall on 1/2 the side. I just thought I read somewhere that aluminum weld will not stick to steel.

Sid

Thanks H

Comment

I'd like to try to keep the hole. Its .196 x 1/2 dp and straight. It then needs to be tapped. Not sure if I can fill it successfully at the bottom and then if I do not drill in the exact same spot again my hole for tapping will not be strong. The hole is exactly where I want it, only thin wall on 1/2 the side. I just thought I read somewhere that aluminum weld will not stick to steel.

Sid

Thanks H
                You are right.. the aluminum will not stick to the steel...

but it seems you are making a lot more extra work for yourself..

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Bit in it will be

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                  You are right.. the aluminum will not stick to the steel...

but it seems you are making a lot more extra work for yourself..
                  I have the bit and upside down it fits perfect. I'll try it. If it fails I can always try to fill it. the part is in the oven right now and almost done.

Thanks again H.

Sid

Comment

Working...
                  X