Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the spool gun on cast Aluminum

Evening all,

I am thinking of trying to use my Autoset 211 and hook up the spoolmate 100 to try to fix a broken boss (Lower red arrow)on my motorcycle case. Please see attached pic. Am I wishfully thinking here?

Thanks

SidClick image for larger version

Name:	single-wire-contact_broken boss.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	532959

Originally posted by cityjack View Post
    Evening all,

I am thinking of trying to use my Autoset 211 and hook up the spoolmate 100 to try to fix a broken boss (Lower red arrow)on my motorcycle case. Please see attached pic. Am I wishfully thinking here?

Thanks

Sid[ATTACH]34928[/ATTACH]

Think you would have a better chance with a tig repair.
    sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 350P
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution dry saw
    40 ton press brake
    Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

well....

Evening all,

Thanks

Sid[ATTACH]34928[/ATTACH]
      If it were me i would machine out that broken piece, make an aluminum bushing, weld the bushing then drill and tap it. Your biggeet probelm is going to be getting the aluminum clean enough to weld. Likely will need to do a full cleaning, then place it in the oven at 300 degrees for a few hours.
      Kevin
      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
      Ln25
      Miller spectrum 625
      Miller 30a spoolgun
      Wc115a
      Lincoln 210mp
      F550 imt service truck

Comment

In the oven?

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
        If it were me i would machine out that broken piece, make an aluminum bushing, weld the bushing then drill and tap it. Your biggeet probelm is going to be getting the aluminum clean enough to weld. Likely will need to do a full cleaning, then place it in the oven at 300 degrees for a few hours.
        Kevin
        Is the purpose of the oven to clean the Aluminum or get it up to temp before welding with the spool gun?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Clean. Cast material is so porous it traps contaminates in its pours and imperfections do you have to burn or bake them out. Some will run the tig torch over the area to be welded at low heat with no filler to just release the contaminated so you can grind them over and repeat until clean.

Comment

It will probably work. You will be frustrated by it.

Comment

Gonna try it.

Thank guys. I am going to get a small bottle of Argon on Monday after work. I'll remove the two seals today that need replacing anyway. Clean the heck out of it, then bake it. Does it matter if I bake it today or before I weld it? How long at 300 F? I won't mess the casting up will I?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Do you have access to a milling machine to carve off the excess aluminum.. after welding????

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Excess metal

I have made a fixture/jig to locate the proper spot for drilling and tapping. To clean up I have plenty of different burrs for my die grinder plus a nice little air dremel of sorts.
                  I apologize for the duplicate question about how long in the oven too.

The only Aluminum I have to practice on is 6061-T6 bar stock. No casting material other than the casting in question. I just do not want to do more damage than good. Ugly is ok since its covered by a alternator cover. The repair just need to be solid and work.

300F for a coupe hours it is then. When all the impurities come to the surface around the welding area, what do I use to clean them with? Solvent, the stainless brush or a combination of both. Should I bake it twice do you think?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Was hoping you had a friend with a mill...

certainly doable by hand... but much more time consuming and difficult...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

I have fixed those types of cases. You will learn lots from your first one. Clean clean and more clean. Unless 100% of the oil is gone you will have a tough time. Good luck..Bob
                      Attached Files
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Caron?

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                        Kevin
                        Sir, you wouldn't be Kevin Caron from youtube would you?

Just curious.

Comment

Gauges?

Evening,

When I pick up my argon tomorrow, can I just swap my gauges from my mixed tank to my straight argon tank? Do I need to do anything in particular before I get going with the spool gun as far as purging gas or anything if I can swap the gauges?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Evening,

When I pick up my argon tomorrow, can I just swap my gauges from my mixed tank to my straight argon tank? Do I need to do anything in particular before I get going with the spool gun as far as purging gas or anything if I can swap the gauges?

Thanks

Sid
                            Yes ABSOLUTELY purge your lines... you want ALL of the CO2 mix out of the lines... about a minute should do it...

Also... please do yourself a favor and practice for a couple of hours on some aluminum scrap first ... make sure you can run a decent bead on something that does not count... instead of trying to learn on something important...
                            Aluminum spoolgun is not as easy as it looks... the practice will be time well spent...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

Practice

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                              Yes ABSOLUTELY purge your lines... you want ALL of the CO2 mix out of the lines... about a minute should do it...

Also... please do yourself a favor and practice for a couple of hours on some aluminum scrap first ... make sure you can run a decent bead on something that does not count... instead of trying to learn on something important...
                              Aluminum spoolgun is not as easy as it looks... the practice will be time well spent...
                              All I have access to is 6061-T6 bar stock. No cast. Will the settings for the barstock be comparable? Also type of .030 wire you think would act best for this cast work? The 4043 or 5356?

Thanks

Sid

Comment

Working...
                              X