No announcement yet.

miller tig inverters fail often....??.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller tig inverters fail often....??.

So i have noticed that there seems to be a pattern of miller tig inverters....ie dynasty 200, 300, 350, and diversion which fail with low hours...or with in 3-4 years of build date. Is this normal for tig inverters across the manufactor lines? Do other companies have these issues?
    Also i have always had inverter multi purpose machines, and they have never failed. What i did to my Maxtron 450 made me believe they were very durable. Infact i replaced it with an xmt304 when i went with newer equipment(would have been an xmt 456 if they would run single phase like the maxtron). Is there something to the ac tig inverter machines which frys them?
    Kevin
    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
    Ln25
    Miller spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spoolgun
    Wc115a
    Lincoln 210mp
    F550 imt service truck

Mine purrs like a kitten.
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
      Mine purrs like a kitten.

They all purr like a kitten, Until they die.

Comment

There are quirks with all machines. The millers require basic maintenance yearly, ya don't and yes there are problems. I make rental firms open new units up , inspect and tighten the backs of the output studs. Red loctite is added so they don't come loose. And yearly to tighten all connectors, and mod screws as they always heat loosen.

also there is a problem with the plastic strain reliefs on the backs of the machines, as they overly squish the primary's together. This causes electrical noise. And ends up taking out the machines over time. I replace them with a standard. Sleeved version.

KInda buying a car, never changing the oil, then wondering why it broke down...
        Last edited by cruizer; 02-14-2015, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
          There are quirks with all machines. The millers require basic maintenance yearly, ya don't and yes there are problems. I make rental firms open new units up , inspect and tighten the backs of the output studs. Red loctite is added so they don't come loose. And yearly to tighten all connectors, and mod screws as they always heat loosen.

also there is a problem with the plastic strain reliefs on the backs of the machines, as they overly squish the primary's together. This causes electrical noise. And ends up taking out the machines over time. I replace them with a standard. Sleeved version.

KInda buying a car, never changing the oil, then wondering why it broke down...

Thats all great advise Cruiser, thanks! Wish you could make tutorial videos.
          Last edited by ja baudin; 02-14-2015, 11:04 AM.
          sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 350P
          30A Spoolgun
          Lincoln Pro Mig 140
          Hypertherm Powermax 30
          14" Rage Evolution dry saw
          40 ton press brake
          Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Electrical noise…

"as they overly squish the primary's together. This causes electrical noise. And ends up taking out the machines over time. I replace them with a standard. Sleeved version."

Hey Cruiser,
            i have seen in the manuals for the units labelled CE only- i think they use a 400volt input supply, where there are 'filters ' installed in circuit ( one would usually be on the cooling fan and the other somewhere close to the input contactor/ input supply wires).
            Would these be for electrical noise?
            and if so,
            can they be fitted retroactively to the non-CE units? Or would these filters be designed only for 400volt CE models?
            or would your method of sleeves take care of that problem only cheaper?

Comment

Well, for 5 bucks you can stick a rubber sleeved strain relief in. I mean all the filters in the world are not going to help problems with the primarys jammed together.

Comment

I think the perception of inverters failing is partly due to this being a technical forum mostly used to help diagnose broken machines. If somebody has a healthy dynasty they have no reason to post about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                  I think the perception of inverters failing is partly due to this being a technical forum mostly used to help diagnose broken machines. If somebody has a healthy dynasty they have no reason to post about it.
                  At the risk of angering the gods of good fortune...

I have had my three Miller Inverters for several years now... with ZERO Problems..

My Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner, Dynasty 200DX & Millermatic 350P... have performed flawlessly and do things that no transformer machine could hope to equal....
                  those inverters add refinement to the process that is not available with a transformer...

Would suspect that my experience is probably typical.... out of the hundreds of thousands built... would expect only a small percentage to fail from defects... some from abuse.. but the vast majority to be chugging along for many many years...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Well, that's true too, however, you may get a noticeable change for the better by merely loosening off the plastic strain reliefs from the backs of the machines

Comment

I have a FD rx-7, anyone who comes into our forum would walk away wondering why anybody would bother with such a problem ridden machine. But that's just cause happy owners are out driving for the most part and people with issues are the ones to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                        I have a FD rx-7, anyone who comes into our forum would walk away wondering why anybody would bother with such a problem ridden machine. But that's just cause happy owners are out driving for the most part and people with issues are the ones to post.
                        Wankels were great high rev engines, few apex seal problems. But so quiet and so fast. If you always ran premium and a high grade oil, they would seem to last forever. It was the low grade fuel, which they ran just fine, but tended to carbon up on, and crap oil that ended them.

Comment

Well, for 5 bucks you can stick a rubber sleeved strain relief in. I mean all the filters in the world are not going to help problems with the primarys jammed together.

I wouldn't mind spending 5 bucks, where can I find one? Tried looking on line, sure you could put your hand on the right one pretty quick for a 200dx? Part number and manufacturer?
                          sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 350P
                          30A Spoolgun
                          Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                          Hypertherm Powermax 30
                          40 ton press brake
                          Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Just a standard 3/4" sleeved strain relief. Available at pretty much any hardware store, depending on the machine hole might need a couple of step own plates
                            Last edited by cruizer; 02-14-2015, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Just a standard 3/4" sleeved strain relief. Available at pretty much any hardware store, depending on the machine hole might need a couple of step own plates

Thank you sir!!
                              sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 350P
                              30A Spoolgun
                              Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                              Hypertherm Powermax 30
                              40 ton press brake
                              Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment