Help with Synchrowave 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Synchrowave 300

Just bought an eBay Synchrowaave 300. Never TIG welding and only basic on MIG. Machine in pretty good condition but..Cooler water was nasty and pump stuck, cleaned and ran until more gunk in the lines and blew the fuse. Right now, no cooler (possible problem)No weld current, 110 relay appears fine but am replacing. The cooler motor worked at first then it blew the fuse or circuit breaker (not sure which). High freq slugs were almost closed shut and I set them to 0.040. The 110 voltage is only 62 volts, seems half voltage but why. Doesn't the 110 come from one leg of the 220? Yet the 220 measures correctly.I don't expect any weld current with the 110 at low voltage but I tried anyway and I hear the high freq start I think.Does anyone have any suggestions about the low 110 voltage? What needs to be replaced or repaired.

Serials..?? Please....

Originally posted by stevedollar View Post
    Just bought an eBay Synchrowaave 300. Never TIG welding and only basic on MIG. Machine in pretty good condition but..Cooler water was nasty and pump stuck, cleaned and ran until more gunk in the lines and blew the fuse. Right now, no cooler (possible problem)No weld current, 110 relay appears fine but am replacing. The cooler motor worked at first then it blew the fuse or circuit breaker (not sure which). High freq slugs were almost closed shut and I set them to 0.040. The 110 voltage is only 62 volts, seems half voltage but why. Doesn't the 110 come from one leg of the 220? Yet the 220 measures correctly.I don't expect any weld current with the 110 at low voltage but I tried anyway and I hear the high freq start I think.Does anyone have any suggestions about the low 110 voltage? What needs to be replaced or repaired.
    Could you post the serial number of the welder and of the TIG cooler...??
    there have been MANY variations.. and the serials help us know what we are looking at..

also... you can download the correct manuals for them by plugging in the serial numbers here..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Serial Nummbers

The radiator is finally running fine on outside 110VAC. Put a seal gasket in t he pump and cured the leaks. No problems with now at all. I could not find a serial number anywhere.I could not find a serial number on the welder either. I was told it was made in 1984. I was looking at wiring hookup and it may have been wirred 460V. Hmmm... If so, would that not cause my 110VAC panel to be only 62VAC. Seems that would be since feeding it 220 and if it was expecting 440 then the 110 panel would only be given 63V-Right?Steve

Comment

The radiator is finally running fine on outside 110VAC. Put a seal gasket in t he pump and cured the leaks. No problems with now at all. I could not find a serial number anywhere.I could not find a serial number on the welder either. I was told it was made in 1984. I was looking at wiring hookup and it may have been wirred 460V. Hmmm... If so, would that not cause my 110VAC panel to be only 62VAC. Seems that would be since feeding it 220 and if it was expecting 440 then the 110 panel would only be given 63V-Right?Steve
        Later models have a black and white sticker on the back panel with model # and serial #

older welders like yours largely had the serial numbers stamped into the front panel...

if it really is 1984 production then you should be finding a a number starting with "JE7XXXXX" or similar... stamped into the front panel... it may be hard to see...

AND if that is the case.. then this should be the correct manual..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o350m_mil.pdf

Last edited by H80N; 02-11-2015, 08:06 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 200

Comment

Wow. Stop what you are doing. You obviously have no clue what's going on with this machine. Never plug a welder or other heavy machine with out verifying the input wiring. Post your serial number so you can get the manual and some good advice before you cause a really big problem. If you haven't smoked something already. Don't run water or standard automotive coolant in your tig cooler btw.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate all the help. Yes, it had been wired for 440v and I rewired it to 240V and everything is fine. I did my first TIG and of course it was terrible but done. I had checked with the seller and he didn't know much about the machine but said it had been hooked up as 220V, so much for seller's knowledge. This is a beast of a machine with little use. Those huge transformers are easily changed from one voltage to another. Thanks for the safety natzies also, I realize your concern is for safety and I appreciate that. My knowledge of electrical is actually quite high with many degrees and much experience and I would never knowingly do anything unsafe.

Comment

I appreciate all the help. Yes, it had been wired for 440v and I rewired it to 240V and everything is fine. I did my first TIG and of course it was terrible but done. I had checked with the seller and he didn't know much about the machine but said it had been hooked up as 220V, so much for seller's knowledge. This is a beast of a machine with little use. Those huge transformers are easily changed from one voltage to another. Thanks for the safety natzies also, I realize your concern is for safety and I appreciate that. My knowledge of electrical is actually quite high with many degrees and much experience and I would never knowingly do anything unsafe.
              Sounds like you are on your way to learning TIG

Here is a booklet that outlines the basics to get you started...

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf

And the Miller TIG resources section..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ur-skills/tig/

Also...

There are lots of excellent TIG videos on Youtube & WeldingTipsandTricks

PLUS a few suggestions

Follow the guidelines in the booklet.... there is a reason for them based on physics and experience

Keep the metal to be welded clean and shiny as TIG has no tolerance for rust, dirt, oil, millscale etc

Take a little more time and care to insure your joint fitment is tight and neat.... TIG will not easily fill in wide sloppy joints that you may have gotten away with using MIG

AND.... practice... practice... practice... that will help you to develop the rythm of the TIG dance

Last edited by H80N; 02-12-2015, 01:01 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Nope. I don't care so much for safety... Just don't want a perfectly good welder to blow a board by being installed improperly. But say what you want, it's yours to fry all you want.

Comment

TIG Practice

Thanks H80N;

I have been an engineer for 50 years and now just an old trying to do something I have always admired and loved. I will diligently read and study your links. As I am endeavoring to learn a bit about machinist/welding, it is becoming even more of a journey than I had originally planned. I have a big ole RP lathe and a BP mill and various other old and worn but highly useful pieces. The process is revealing ever more to me how much it is about the hands. As a pencil and computer guy, I never had to do much more than solder and that was a very long time ago. I realize that no matter how many books I read, I still don't have the hands that have the experience of a lifetime of working with these machines. My MIG is acceptable, my gas is sorta OK, my stick has 40 years of unuse to determine and my TIG (you mean it can really look that bad). But my goals are not perfection, just darn good looking beads and being able to weld aluminum.

According to everything I have seen or heard, the answer is really simple. Practice, practice, practice. A buddy of mine and I are doing our 'class' together so we will some mutual push to get it right.

Thanks again to all those on the site who contributed and I will be checking in in the future and likely asking more dumb questions.

I am just amazed at this Miller machine. That thing weighs about 900 pounds when you include the cooler and the pedal and all the wires and cables and its little cart which could haul an elephant. Boy, they sure did make boxes in those days.

Steve

Comment

Steve

Sounds like you understand the formula

Am sure you will do fine... and... if/when there are stumbles..
                    there are many here willing to give advise to get you extracted from the pickle

All part of lifes great adventure..

BTW... what part of the map do you call home these days... I am in NE Pa...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

I am in Virginia, just outside of Roanoke

Steve

Comment

I am in Virginia, just outside of Roanoke

Steve
                        Nice area... good weather this time of year...

not so much here in Ne Pa.... was -8 F here @ 06:00 this morning...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 200

Comment

I was in Philly a week ago yesterday. Fairly cold and windy. I was picking up a new to me band saw. It is an old (1980's) Enco with included blade welder and the unit is in very good condition. Bought if off eBay for an acceptable price.

Steve

Comment

I was in Philly a week ago yesterday. Fairly cold and windy. I was picking up a new to me band saw. It is an old (1980's) Enco with included blade welder and the unit is in very good condition. Bought if off eBay for an acceptable price.

Steve
                            Good for you...

sounds like you are equipping your shop well..

looking forward to hearing of progress and projects..

even colder here..

we are located about 200 miles north of Philly.. not too far from Binghamton, NY...

just waiting on this weekends blizzard and cold snap...
                            Last edited by H80N; 02-14-2015, 07:30 AM.

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 200

Comment

Synchrowave gas valve

Is there any good reason someone would not use the valve in the Synchrowave to turn the gas on/off while TIG welding? My machine does not have the gas going thru the valve, it is routed directly to the TIG torch. This is not helpful since one is forced to have the gas flowing all the time while using the welder for TIG. I checked the valve on the bench and it works fine, I checked it in the machine and it appears to be fine. I have not checked the valve operationally as of yet because I don't have another gas line to hook it up. I will get one but, I was just wondering if there was a reason it would be used without the valve?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X