best way to weld cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to weld cast iron

Hey guys I was wondering what the best way to weld cast iron is I normally just braze it.

preheat, weld with ni-rod, and a slow post heat. kitty litter, or floor dry around the part works well to retain the heat

Comment

I use fiberglass blankets and bricks. 55 nickle rod works well
      Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
      Millermatic 211
      Spoolmate 100
      (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
      Work better & less parts to stock.
      Miller 130xp
      T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
      Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
      2. 4-1/2" grinders
      1. 9" grinder
      14" Makita chop saw
      1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

I have used plenty of nickel rod and it works good. I have also used the Crown Alloys 44-30 MIG wire for cast iron with good success. It is expensive, but is an easy solution for most cast repairs. I have not had great luck with either on cast iron exhaust manifolds, as they seem to get burned out over time, and don't like to weld well.

Comment

best way to weld cast iron

Also plain fiberglass the old pink stuff you put between studs. Pull off the paper backing and wrap.
          Very cheap, works great, no mess.
          I will sometimes wrap part in fiberglass then wrap in welding blanket. Stays hot for a long time and saves your blanket when part is very hot. Also use this when welding 4130 alloy parts for slow cooling.

Comment

I don't do a lot of cast iron these days... but when I do...

I have had pretty good luck with
            Cronatron™ 211 Cast Iron MIG Welding Wire

using 98-2 Argon/Oxy gas

http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Cronat...8.lp#documents

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

WOW at $132 per pound, I hope you would have good luck with it.

Comment

When I can (smaller parts), and have a good idea what kind of iron it is, AND have cleaned it as best I can (hot vapor degreasing is good if you know a place that does it), I vee out the crack with a rotary file (grinding is said to smear the carbon). I get it heat-soaked up to the desired temperature, with firebrick and asbestos cloth around it to keep it at the right heat, then gas-weld it with cast iron rod, and very slowly cool it. Use cast iron flux; feed the rod into the mushy puddle with a sort of jabbing action that tends to shove the impurities out of the puddle. Kind of a fun change of pace thing to do, and seems to work out well.

I hear there's a guy around here that repair-welds cast iron cylinder heads by gas-welding. Some time I'd like to go watch him work (just out of curiousity. not as anything I'd want to do regularly) . . . .

Comment

Depends what the part is. Not really any wrong answers...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

I know it isn't welding cast iron, but do any of you guys tig braze it with silicone bronze?
                    MillerMatic 251
                    Maxstar 150 STH
                    Cutmaster 42
                    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                      I know it isn't welding cast iron, but do any of you guys tig braze it with silicone bronze?
                      I think silicone bronze with tig is the cats meow. I have used it on an old, I do mean old wood stove door to replace a broken out section and a hinge.

Old cast iron bed frame and several other odd and hard to repair projects.

An engine block or cast manifold I have never tried it on those, but I would.

IMO its quick and easy.

Comment

Working...
                      X