Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get Industrial

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking to get Industrial

    I love my old Hobart TigWave but after building a few heavier projects, it is lacking.

    I have 240 3phase power now and would like to add the capacity of a 400-600 amp 100% duty cycle unit. Prefer multi process, CC/CV, ability to have air carbon, stick stinger and a some sort of industrial wire feeder. I'm leery of the inverter and lots of digital controls as I plan on having it forever. I'm on cheap power and will run 150# of wire a year so the efficiency of an inverter impresses me less than the bullet proof nature of a SCR.

    Am I overly concerned about the inverter? If so what would be a good choice? I know the red line but not impressed with the people. I need a Miller history to keep up with what the various prefixes and model numbers equate to.

    Prefer used and stay under $5k

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by Stubs View Post
    I love my old Hobart TigWave but after building a few heavier projects, it is lacking.

    I have 240 3phase power now and would like to add the capacity of a 400-600 amp 100% duty cycle unit. Prefer multi process, CC/CV, ability to have air carbon, stick stinger and a some sort of industrial wire feeder. I'm leery of the inverter and lots of digital controls as I plan on having it forever. I'm on cheap power and will run 150# of wire a year so the efficiency of an inverter impresses me less than the bullet proof nature of a SCR.

    Am I overly concerned about the inverter? If so what would be a good choice? I know the red line but not impressed with the people. I need a Miller history to keep up with what the various prefixes and model numbers equate to.

    Prefer used and stay under $5k

    Thanks
    AC-DC..??.... or is just DC for steel and no aluminum TIG going to meet your needs..??

    Lots of good used 3phase stuff out there pretty reasonable..
    Last edited by H80N; 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #3
      3 phase with AC output.....?

      No I'm going to stick to steel.

      Hope for some light on Miller. Lots of Lincoln dc400 and 600 machines but I don't know the older miller numbers much less their reputation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stubs View Post
        3 phase with AC output.....?

        No I'm going to stick to steel.

        Hope for some light on Miller. Lots of Lincoln dc400 and 600 machines but I don't know the older miller numbers much less their reputation.
        To the best of my knowledge... all of the Syncrowaves (AC/DC TIG) are single phase.. Do not know of any 3phase Miller AC/DC TIGs

        But believe there are a bunch of DC only models
        Last edited by H80N; 01-18-2015, 06:49 PM.
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          Tig is already covered by my 20 year old Hobart square wave machine.

          My challenge is long welds in 1/2"+ plate. 5/32" 7024 gets old and is about all I can push with the Hobart. I was warned not to air gouge when I bought it. I want that capacity.

          I'm NOT looking for a tig or aluminum machine. Sincrowave is a fantastic machine but not what someone who wants to build heavy farm equipment is after.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Stubs View Post
            Tig is already covered by my 20 year old Hobart square wave machine.

            My challenge is long welds in 1/2"+ plate. 5/32" 7024 gets old and is about all I can push with the Hobart. I was warned not to air gouge when I bought it. I want that capacity.

            I'm NOT looking for a tig or aluminum machine. Sincrowave is a fantastic machine but not what someone who wants to build heavy farm equipment is after.
            There are machines like the CP/CC 1500-P

            it might cover your needs....

            http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o271d_mil.pdf
            .

            *******************************************
            The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

            “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

            Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

            My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

            TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh that's nice lol. I only have a 400 amp service so that 1500 amp beast is just a little bit overkill.

              I also left SubArc off my to do list but I like how you think.

              XMT 450 or a Dimension 652 (452?) Is the current models I'm thinking about. Used and a few years old I hope to find a dimension that got replaced by an inverter for power savings. Trouble I have is that miller seems to have changed the numbers a lot. If it is not a shop mate anyway.

              A used power supply and a new suitcase feeder makes sense to me. Fill me in if I'm out of line.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Stubs View Post
                Oh that's nice lol. I only have a 400 amp service so that 1500 amp beast is just a little bit overkill.
                only draws 308amps 3phase @ 230vac (even less w/PFC 270amps)..

                would hate to source the 1500amp TIG torch for it... probably resembles a baseball bat...
                .

                *******************************************
                The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

                TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                Comment


                • #9
                  If I needed to weld plate I would be looking for a used Deltaweld 452 & a 22a feeder. That would cover the welding part of it. As far as stick & cac I would find an old Lincoln or Miller 500 amp stick welder. I used this set up for years in a fab shop running 1/16" & 5/64" wire & it is bullet proof.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    update

                    Although older and in less than ideal condition, a DeltaWeld 450 with a D-52a dual head feeder for $350 went into the back of the Kenworth on my way home from delivering potatoes. I need to switch to low voltage (of course THAT part of the decal is missing), get some gas equipment (big tank and a regulator) and unload the .035 304 wire that is in the one side with a gun. I will give it a good clean out before powering up. Guess I can live without ACA and stick for now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Stubs View Post
                      Although older and in less than ideal condition, a DeltaWeld 450 with a D-52a dual head feeder for $350 went into the back of the Kenworth on my way home from delivering potatoes. I need to switch to low voltage (of course THAT part of the decal is missing), get some gas equipment (big tank and a regulator) and unload the .035 304 wire that is in the one side with a gun. I will give it a good clean out before powering up. Guess I can live without ACA and stick for now.
                      You can match your serial number to the correct user manual here... that will give you the proper strapping for your voltage..

                      http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

                      sounds like a heck of a deal.... CONGRATS!!

                      PLS post some pics and keep us apprised of how it is going..
                      .

                      *******************************************
                      The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                      “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                      Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                      My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

                      TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I may have to download a few more manuals because the one I got from miller (thanks for the link but I was already there) did not have a diagram.
                        Attached Files

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stubs View Post
                          I may have to download a few more manuals because the one I got from miller (thanks for the link but I was already there) did not have a diagram.
                          Serial Number...???

                          this one may or may not match your machines serial...

                          but the jumper diagram is on page 7 of the manual (page 11 of the PDF)

                          http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
                          .

                          *******************************************
                          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                          My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

                          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stubs View Post
                            Although older and in less than ideal condition, a DeltaWeld 450 with a D-52a dual head feeder for $350 went into the back of the Kenworth on my way home from delivering potatoes. I need to switch to low voltage (of course THAT part of the decal is missing), get some gas equipment (big tank and a regulator) and unload the .035 304 wire that is in the one side with a gun. I will give it a good clean out before powering up. Guess I can live without ACA and stick for now.

                            fyi air arcing can be done on a cv machine. Infact used a delta weld 452 for years to air arc. Never hurt the machine.
                            worked very well.
                            Kevin
                            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                            Ln25
                            Miller spectrum 625
                            Miller 30a spoolgun
                            Wc115a
                            Lincoln 210mp
                            F550 imt service truck

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Got it. Also after more carefully looking at the wiring diagram (in the first manual I got) it was obvious. I picked up the last 37' of 4-4awg wire, copper ends, exc. for $140. Hope to get a good cleaning and the wire done later. If I'm lucky I'll have time to check out the brushes in the feeder and disassemble/clean/inspect the gun.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X