Go Kart Advice SAFETY-STRENGTH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Kart Advice SAFETY-STRENGTH

I'm in the neighborhood of building a GO KART. The question is not what type of metal should I use?, how thick should the metal be?, when welding should the stick be smaller then the thickness of my metal to prevent blowouts?. My question is what metal would hold up to the everyday of abuse of light off road and heavy street use when pushing twin 6.5 hp motors. The speed equaling up to 70 mph. I'm trying to prevent the worries of a weld braking because of poor structural design or my metal not holding up due to poor tensil strength. I'm in the neighorbor of hot rolled or cold rolled square tubing because I don't have the funds to *** out on chromiumum molly alloy. 200 bucks for 8 foot is to rich ffor my blood and I'm skeptical on welding such a metal. I'm only experienced in stick welding and that experience is very minor. Which metal in square tubing would be ideal, hot or cold rolled? Will it be strong enough to be worry free of breakage? Should I use fillers when welding? My structure is based on the goose neck trailer designs. Reason for my thinking in going this route is that they are put through **** in back, they are dragged every where and anywhere, and can hold a ton of weight. I'm also basing my rear end design of a T REX, it has a single drive wheel in the rear. I have the designs drawn in the layers that will be welded if needed I will upload. I need piece in mind that my kart wont brake into pieces along with my self. Its just for fun and weekend use but when I'm playing I play hard. If we have a smart *** that's going to answer shove it and shut it. I don't need your response. If detailed questions need to be ask just let me know!

Nobody can give you advice with no picture, plan, weight loads, welding machine you can use, or more likely what welding process you know.

I'm sure people would chime in if more details were to be had. Also, there is a million ways to achieve the same thing, it's your project, you need to design it...not a stranger.

With all that said, I have always wanted to build a go kart. Had one as a kid that was a blast but I've always wanted to make an adult kart with a 125cc engine out of a Dirtbike. Keep us updated on progress.
    Last edited by Cgotto6; 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Check craigslist you can find a cheap inexpensive frame and just build around it. From your text i wouldn't trust you welding anything carrying someone's life . You need more welding skills thank just sticking to plates together. rude but true..
      Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
      Millermatic 211
      Spoolmate 100
      (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
      Work better & less parts to stock.
      Miller 130xp
      T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
      Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
      2. 4-1/2" grinders
      1. 9" grinder
      14" Makita chop saw
      1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

Is this a joke? That is like asking how to design a new tack to hold a painting when all you have is a sledgehammer and you want to safely attach the painting to the wall.

The only experience you have is with smaw but you are asking about filler to use. Are you talking about what kind of electrode? If you are considering chromoly then you should learn proper welding methods, which are not stick welding.

This just has death written all over it. 70mph in a hacked together go kart is not smart.

My advice is to stop dreaming about this until you learn a bunch more about welding. Buy a proven used frame or spend the time and money on machines and classes so that you can do this right and prevent death.
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
          Is this a joke? That is like asking how to design a new tack to hold a painting when all you have is a sledgehammer and you want to safely attach the painting to the wall.

The only experience you have is with smaw but you are asking about filler to use. Are you talking about what kind of electrode? If you are considering chromoly then you should learn proper welding methods, which are not stick welding.

This just has death written all over it. 70mph in a hacked together go kart is not smart.

My advice is to stop dreaming about this until you learn a bunch more about welding. Buy a proven used frame or spend the time and money on machines and classes so that you can do this right and prevent death.
          Aww, let him build it. His ensuing wreck will improve the gene pool.

Griff

Comment

"70 MPH" "Should I use filler?" "Smart *** remarks" Sounds like someone who has a total lack of knowledge plus an attitude problem. Hope someone makes a video of the crash when & if it ever gets built & you test it.
            Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

Originally posted by griff01:326966

Aww, let him build it. His ensuing wreck will improve the gene pool.

Griff
              Hey Griff, I didn't mean to subvert natural selection. Sometimes I can't believe the things I read...

The funny part is that lacking knowledge is not a bad thing. But not accepting criticism, which is often sarcastic in this world, is a good way to get ignored.
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Hey Griff, I didn't mean to subvert natural selection. Sometimes I can't believe the things I read...

The funny part is that lacking knowledge is not a bad thing. But not accepting criticism, which is often sarcastic in this world, is a good way to get ignored.
                You are absolutely correct!

Griff

Comment

Originally posted by hbroussard2015 View Post
                  I'm in the neighborhood of building a GO KART. The question is not what type of metal should I use?, how thick should the metal be?, when welding should the stick be smaller then the thickness of my metal to prevent blowouts?. My question is what metal would hold up to the everyday of abuse of light off road and heavy street use when pushing twin 6.5 hp motors. The speed equaling up to 70 mph. I'm trying to prevent the worries of a weld braking because of poor structural design or my metal not holding up due to poor tensil strength. I'm in the neighorbor of hot rolled or cold rolled square tubing because I don't have the funds to *** out on chromiumum molly alloy. 200 bucks for 8 foot is to rich ffor my blood and I'm skeptical on welding such a metal. I'm only experienced in stick welding and that experience is very minor. Which metal in square tubing would be ideal, hot or cold rolled? Will it be strong enough to be worry free of breakage? Should I use fillers when welding? My structure is based on the goose neck trailer designs. Reason for my thinking in going this route is that they are put through **** in back, they are dragged every where and anywhere, and can hold a ton of weight. I'm also basing my rear end design of a T REX, it has a single drive wheel in the rear. I have the designs drawn in the layers that will be welded if needed I will upload. I need piece in mind that my kart wont brake into pieces along with my self. Its just for fun and weekend use but when I'm playing I play hard. If we have a smart *** that's going to answer shove it and shut it. I don't need your response. If detailed questions need to be ask just let me know!
                  want a piece of mind that the cart won't break into pieces . i always live by one rule and that rule is if man can make it man can break it.

Comment

I am in the find a cart frame group.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                      I am in the find a cart frame group.
                      +1 I agree....

Sounds like the OP has neither the skillset or equipment to Safely tackle such a project...

Not meant as an insult or jab.... simply an observation...
                      Last edited by H80N; 01-15-2015, 09:23 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

This comes to mind almost immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCTRjK69Vq8

Me and a buddy built a go kart in 1977 from the leftover parts of a wrecked Kawasaki H-2 (500cc triple two stroke) and go kart frame we purchased from the local paper. We were just about to graduate high school and I had a couple of years experience of how not to weld. With my stick scratching and A/O abilities we were able to get the engine shoe horned into place. Throttle response was uncontrollable and needless to say the paddle brake wasn't much use at all. In fact we are probably luck to still be alive. We never got this death trap up to speed, no helmets or safety gear at all and lots of curb hits and roll overs.

Not unlike this guy, our main concern during the build was strength of the materials used and my ability to weld it together. I am guessing that if we were able to get this thing up to speed it would have run out at about 70MPH or so.

My serious recommendation would be to go find a go kart that is built for the capabilities you desire, study it and ask questions. There are plenty of Karting forums you can join and get answers. I cant stress enough how this isn't a venture you want to engage on a low budget.

Been there, done that. Please don't let anyone get hurt!!!!!
                        TB 302
                        Sync 250 DX
                        MM 180 Auto
                        Lincoln tombstone
                        DVI-2
                        Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Comment

Working...
                        X