X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    Wheels,

I know where some used 22a feeders were a year or so ago. The man had a shelf full (20 or more). It would probably run you$650 or $700 for a good used 22a. If you are interested, email me.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    HAWK and Andy

Seems to me I would have my aluminum bases covered with the 200dx and the Regency. It welds the heck out of 1/4inch I use to replace floors in my asphalt dump truck bodies. I cut them out with an Esab PCM875.
    My only regret is that the Regency has a spool gun only. A fresh 2lb spool of steel gets heavy! Also, it seems that towards the end of the spool the wire feed suffers slightly. Not noticed with AL. A feeder has been mentioned but a new tig AND a feeder might cause the better-half to have MY wiring checked out unless I can find a used feeder!!

THANKS Mike

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY
    Sorry,
    No can do with the regency.
    The regency is a CV (constant voltage)machine and TIG is a CC (constant current)process. To put it another way, when you adjust your regency you are changing voltage. A TIG machine changes Amperage on it's adjustment.

Andy
    Andy,

I may have mentioned this before. It is not ideal, but some CV machines have a high OCV and are capable of scratch tig. I don't think the Regency will do it. The ESAB Migmaster 250 will TIG with an OCV around 70 volts. I know it goes against the grain, but....

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Wheels,

I have a Dynasty 200DX. It is a fantastic machine! You won't go wrong with it. It will weld as long as you can. If you plan to do a lot of 1/4" everyday or even every weekend, then I would give the 200 amp water cooled Diamond Back and a Coolmate 4 some serious thought. The air cooled 150 amp torch in the contractor kit is a nice torch and does not overheat. However, long runs at max amperage with argon and helium mix at 50/50 build considerable heat and can be uncomfortable. I guess most people use 100% argon with this machine. However, the 50/50 mix and the right settings will make this machine run slick. Use the 50/50 HE/Ar gas mix, 250 HZ frequency 65-70% balance. I must credit these settings to Bertram Chase of Welding Dynamiks. He uses this set routinely down to .035" and thinner with pulse added to the equation at .065". Try and you will see how aluminum can weld like stainless! It does not get any better than that!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Thanks again Andy
    I`ve been bouncing back & forth between the Dynasty and the TA180. The Dynasty looks to have the edge.

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Wheels,
    Because you specified 1/4 inch as a possibility, that puts you in the Dynasty 200 or Sync 250 Tigrunner. The Sync 180SD doesn't have enough power to do any amount of 1/4 inch. It will do a little of it in a pinch or if you preheat it but I would never sell you a 180 to do much 1/4.
    I'm all about the Dynasty 200 and unless you need the cooler and a water cooled torch for long runs or all day welding, the 200 should be fine with the air cooled contractor accy kit.

Good luck

andy

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Thanks , Guess the head scratching continues. This is an over-asked question but, what would your choice be for a tig machine to build aluminum tool boxes with a little added power for the odd 1/4 inch job which always pops up as soon as your pals realize you have a new toy!

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Sorry,
    No can do with the regency.
    The regency is a CV (constant voltage)machine and TIG is a CC (constant current)process. To put it another way, when you adjust your regency you are changing voltage. A TIG machine changes Amperage on it's adjustment.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    started a topic Tig With Regency200?

Tig With Regency200?

Been thinking of going to a tig setup. Before I shell out the green I wondered if I could tig with my Regency200. It is setup with a 30a spool gun now , Which is what I use for mig on steel and aluminum. If I could get some practice on it I might be able to justify $2000 for an inverter machine.
Working...
X