Indentify this welder !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indentify this welder !

Gentlemen: I have a fresh barn find. It's a portable gas powered welder. Ford flathead power and no idea who man it. Also ,look where they put the fuel tank ?
    Anyway any of you out there have any idea who made this puppy ? It has a gauge that says Lincoln. But inside the welder frame I found a plate that says" Arcontrol Works Electric Mfg., Model T, Los Angles <Calif. Thanks for looking
    Attached Files

V-8 power !

first V-8 powered welder I,ve seen....That ford engine,depending on model, could be a 65 or 85HP....There was also a 100 HP flathead V8 . My guess is that this is a shop-made welding machine....The builder used off the shelf components and generator....or perhaps re-powered an existing machine....great find! are you going to restore it? Red

Comment

To add onto what he said, it could be a mishmap of parts to make a welder. I have a friend that owns a Ford tractor made in WW2 that had a Ford v8 flathead engine and truck axle because they just used what they could find during the time. I'm no expert on welders or years for when they did what but that could be why the welder is like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Type View Post
        To add onto what he said, it could be a mishmap of parts to make a welder. I have a friend that owns a Ford tractor made in WW2 that had a Ford v8 flathead engine and truck axle because they just used what they could find during the time. I'm no expert on welders or years for when they did what but that could be why the welder is like that.
        You speak of a doodlebug. Most had Ford in their blood lines. Built of cars, truck rear ends, often two transmissions, they were a poor man's tractor. Often as not they towed horse drawn implements. This practice required two men, but was faster than horses.
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

Comment

The tractor I was talking about is made by a brand named Love (I'm not sure why), it's an orchard tractor and the point was to be able to go straight from the orchard to the store so it could reach speeds up to 60 mph.
          Last edited by Type; 01-05-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

I know the name of that Welder, Its a S Y it was built way back when, the seriall # is $$$$$ and the S and Y stand for Scrap Yard.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself on this one. I really have no idea, I was hoping to at least see a cover.

Comment

Other manufacturers made them each a little different One of which was from Minneapolis Moline. My own favorites were the Dodge Power Wagon, and the Willys Jeep. Both were spin offs from military vehicles in WWII. Both were available with 3 point hitch, PTO, belt pulleys, and every implement you could get for any tractor, plus snow plows, and dump bodies. They had promotional films showing the hard working ex GI plowing the field, then going to the house where his lovely bride in stockings and high heels got in and went to the market.
              These were formidable machines, but paled in comparison to the real "transformer", the Mercedes Unimog.
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

Working...
              X