X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectrum 625x-treme or spectrum 875??

Hello...First post.
    I was given as a gift the portable Spectrum 625 x-treme plasma cutter,
    with the option to exchange if not what I want.
    I have never used one the small portable cutters, and wonder if I should keep it, or exchange for the stationary Spectrum 875, which is more like what I have been using. I mostly cut sheet up to 3/8 plate...and every once in a while 1/2 inch plate. Cost is not an issue and I do not need a portable to take out on job sites. Should I keep the little box, or exchange? Are there any cons to the 625x-treme that I should be aware of?

I bought my 875 in 2010 & have been happy with it other than the stiff torch cable. I went with it because at the time I needed to clean cut 1/2" aluminum which takes more power than steel. If not for that I may have bought the 625 because I rarely use it on anything more than 1/2" steel. Above that I usually grab the torch. I don't do much aluminum that thick any more.

I have not heard any bad things about either but I would think cutting 1/2" plate with the 625 will be maxing it out maybe?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Comment

Spectrum 625x-treme or spectrum 875??

I have a 625 in my shop and have no complaints about it whatsoever. I believe it's rated for up to 5/8" steel cutting and 3/16" steel piercing? I have tested mine on both 1/2" steel and aluminum and it stood up to the task, the aluminum was only about a 4" long cut tho. It quite often cuts up entire sheets of 3/8" steel in my shop and cut quality remains good from start to finish.

I did ponder the same question when it came time to buy one for my company, went with the 625 because I often need to throw it in the truck and use it on location.

But nonetheless, been very happy with!

Comment

If cost doesn't matter and you don't plan to take it to the field then get the bigger machine. Always buy the biggest you can!

The only other factor I would consider is input power. Sounds like you have plenty of electrical service to support a good size plasma.
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Bigger is better in a way,but make shure you have power to run it IE. amperage...

AG

Comment

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have been using a Lincoln Pro 55,
            which I am replacing. My husband got me the 625x-treme, with the option to exchange...so I am trying to decide. Still not sure what to do.

Comment

Working...
            X