Felt wire-wipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felt wire-wipers

On a previous thread that might not be revisited, Cruizer made this statement:

(Cruizer)

Probably liner time, wire is getting jammed in the liner, likely full of crap from the wire. Best to stick an earplug in before the drive to clean the wire. DO NOT USE a felt cleaner as it plugs the liner up. (end quote)

I'd not heard this before, and am trying to recall seeing this (I've been mostly stick welding, haven't needed to change liners in a long time). Cruizer, does this apply to all of the felt wipers (some are used dry, others with a special lube)??
    Last edited by old jupiter; 12-24-2014, 12:06 PM.

Have been using the felt wipers on the 350p for a while now, no trouble. But this is the first I've heard of it not being recommended. However, if cruiser said no, I'll probably rethink it.
    sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 350P
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution dry saw
    40 ton press brake
    Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

I typically use a little square of scotch bright held around the wire with a binder clip and have had good luck with it (don't let the binder clip actually grab the wire or it will mess with the feed)
      Mark
      (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
      Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
      1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
      BFH

Comment

I have been using them for about 20 years with no ill effect. I have never seen a liner plugged with felt.

Comment

I personally have had problems with the felt cleaners. The problem is just a large build up of dust and the felt just can't hold it anymore and felt rips from the bunch. It causes the wire to jerk as if the contact tip was welded but wire still able to feed. It is easy enough to just blow it out with air.

I run scotchbrite with a piece of foam in front of it. The foam will clean the wire of any chucks of fiber and works great.

Comment

never had problems with the felt cleaners but i also clean the felt cleaner everytime i put a new role of wire in wich is twice a day so it never really builds up any trash on it.but i will give them ear plugs a try i have a huge box of them and never use them because i keep my ear phones on all day.

Comment

I got away from the felt liners and lube also. It builds up the inlet guides and even gets in the liner. In short circuit (lower wire speeds) its not a big issue, but in spray it will build up enough to cause the wire to chatter. Causing more burnt tips. The foam earplugs sound like a great idea.

Comment

Used to be back in the olden days that the liners were coiled mild steel ( now they are stainless). Stainless needs no lubrication. The coated consumable wire provides its own. I do INDUSTRIAL service. seldom if ever do I go out to someones garage, unless its a tech machine to do any troubleshooting. so 20 years ago when these oil felts where being used, guys were complaining, that, they had to replace the liners constantly. Very iritating for me to travel 2 hrs out to replace a freaking liner. The oiled felts were the culprit in ALL cases! Always plugging up the ends of the liners, and in many cases oiling the drive rolls (more problems as the roller gears are supposed to be isolated, so they would arc out, as oil collects more conductive welding dust)

Wire rolls were merely getting dusty. The guys that clipped on small peices of rags were not going through liners. So I figured why not puncture a ear plug. they pucture well, and collapsed on the wire. Experimented and found them to be good for a whole roll. They are cheap, and reduced the need to r/r the gun liner for weeks instead of days. This increased production. Have to remember that production shops are 12 hrs/day everyday, often 24hrs.

These production feeders are NOT running with enclosed drives and spools, so welding dust is everywhere

Everyone uses earplugs now, leastwise in all the shops I was servicing. And its funny because pretty much ALL shops are on the ear plug route everywhere!
                Last edited by cruizer; 12-28-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

There's always some poor slob who hasn't gotten the word (why me?). Thanks very much!!

Comment

Working...
                  X