can power big inverter off Big 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can power big inverter off Big 40

I'm only a welder & know very little about electric. Have older Big 40 D for out of shop work. Never quite understood why you can have 400 + amps on weld side and only 26 amps 3000 watts on AC side but that's the way it is. Need to power plasma in field.
    Just a thought is it possible to power a inverter with welder and get 10,000 watts AC power.
    Thx Greg

Nope nothing that big. I don't think that even with a couple of big batterys the big 40 charging system would keep up

Thats 26 amps of 120, so only 13 amps of 230
    Last edited by cruizer; 12-09-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Well that's what I thought but never hurts to ask.
      Thx again.

Comment

Was hoping you could use welding current to power inverter. But guess that was more of a dream. Just day dreaming never hurts.

Comment

Well you probably could in CV mode, and if you could monitor the output DC to around 24Vdc. However any kind of spike and you'd roast your rather expensive inverter.. However most plasmas are 230. So that inverter would be major bucks anyways.

Comment

Thx again & you answered the question I didn't ask. Cost. Thought may be expensive due to 230 volt. Don't need one that often.
            I'll just buy cheep gas generator and run it till it dies.

Comment

Working...
            X