Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need input ready for new welder, Trailblazer 275 or 325???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my .2 cents
    I would lean towards the trailblazer, more so the 325. Sure it is quite a bit bigger but... You never know when you might need it. I have the trailblazer 275 and love it. It seems like I weld on many different things but the generator has been the best feature. I was doing a job a few years ago welding miles of 1/8" dimand plate to 1/4" angle. I was running the trailblazer (using the welder) while my little brother was using our MM140 and a friend of mine was using my little maxstar all At the SAME TIME... there were also points in time at which we were using our 375x plasma cutter and had 2 other arcs burning. All power coming from the trailblazer. The machine is a Hoss, the best part, or what I really liked was when I was welding with the machine I never noticed any interference to my welding arc while the other 3 machines were running. I also had a compressor running for my plasma cutter.
    That being said I don't believe I would have been able to do all of that with a Bobcat, which ironically I was going to buy instead. The only thing I regret when I bought mine was not going ahead and buying the diesel and AC switch so maybe the 302 diesel instead
    Trailblazer 275DC
    eleite helment
    millermatic135&140
    375extreme plasma
    new set victor torches
    ingersolrand 185 compressor
    1 big f550w 8 4ft toolboxes full of tools
    o and the rest is too much to list lol
    im very blessed to have all of it paid for

Comment

I was wondering how many had used it as a power supply? On small work with lots of fabrication could really save a lot of money, as you said a couple Maxstars and small plasma and you could work a crew.
      This gets discussed some here but not always right on the button. I got all the machines but use a little DC buzz box and a 175 feeder for almost all of it and I actually bought 10# of 5/32 lo hi years ago and got some left on my service truck.
      I do a little service work but maintenance and light fab is all done with 1/8 and some 3/32 lo hi. I did a service on a ripped bracket on a forklift a while back. The guy has an AC buzzer but normally its close and would have taken my service truck.
      I reached around the cord reel and got 120V for a Max. There was a limited amount of weld and 1 where I needed 3/8 or so maybe 4 or 5 inches long. It didn't take 15 mins of weld, and welded 3 or 4 rods more in a second pass for the little bit which gave me a chance to really dress it up. On the truck would have used 1/8 7018, there due to power used 1/8 6011 for fit up and stripping in any gaps and poor fits then welded it out neat and flush.
      Point is, a bigger welder doesn't always save much time, the demand for large electrodes is rather rare in the world for most people. On my job it would have saved less than 5 minutes and taken a whole lot more effort on the other end.

Comment

Our welding is so spotty the duty cycle is super low. I keep a 250 class feeder and only 035 solid in it but its 2x as fast and if I was doing real welding wouldnt hesitate in any way to buy equipment to make it cheaper faster. As a farmer today in my class or as a hobby type would have a hard time buying a portable, the alternative isn't big but a guy could save a lot and get what he wants or needs.
        I am going to build another welding/service truck but instead of bigger am going to jam it all in a pickup. Battery power has reduced the need for air. I am going to do a generator most likely or a Thermal Scout type thing. On my trucks I carry a torch and a welder, it isn't that I cant have it all but that I don't need it and that I am a career stick welder and the truck is parked most of the time anyway.
        I new lighter truck would help my incentive, not that I want to be on the road but I should drum up some business.

Comment

A big regret I had was never pipelining. I had intended to right from the start, even have the machines. Every time I headed to get in that biz something came up.

Comment

I like my 302. It doesn't see much actual weld time anymore, but that is due to using the 220v more often. I use my maxstar and passport off of it mostly. It has no problem putting out the amperage I need for the passport doing 3/8". I still keep the leads on the truck for some heavy equipment repairs, but not much. I like the power port as a house generator as well. Just keeping the fridge, freezer, pump and other "required" items on.

I like the maxstar a lot for field work so i can just open 1 cabinet, grab the machine, leads, and helmet. Drop at location, grab 110 cord (I modify the 220v cord to run off the 10g 110v cords, and I am fully set up in less then 3 minutes.

Comment

Working...
            X