X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Bosco View Post
    What I'm seeing in video tutorials is that fit up has to be really tight for tig. I'm laying in a lot of fill sometimes with the mig. Closing 1/8" gaps is common. Questioning tig purchase.
    Yes a tight fitup is very important for TIG... as is maintaining rigorous cleanliness of the joint area... unlike MIG which is not so particular.....

but once you start to develop some proficiency in the process you will be hooked...

Nothing is as pretty as a well executed TIG bead...

TIG is the most versatile welding process available....
    Last edited by H80N; 11-30-2014, 08:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    What I'm seeing in video tutorials is that fit up has to be really tight for tig. I'm laying in a lot of fill sometimes with the mig. Closing 1/8" gaps is common. Questioning tig purchase.

Leave a comment:

• Country Metals
    replied
    If you can currently tig 20-24 ga stainless, then getting a machine with 500 pps isn't going to help much. I do a lot of 16-20 ga stainless and I normally run anywhere from 2.4 to 60 pps. I rarely go above but I have found some nice spots at 240 and 450 pps.

A machine is still only as good as the joint design/fit up.

I have the dynasty and it is a nice machine.

Also, PPS is a good guide, but setting proper background and peak time is more important IMO then PPS.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Tig raises the bar in many respects, both for challenging your abilities and for your customer's end product. This in turn increases word of mouth business. That is something that is hard to put a price on.
    Get the better machine if you have any plans of bettering yourself in the future. I always overbuy my present needs. Haven't gone wrong on that yet.

Leave a comment:

• 'Stang
    replied
    25 years of arc and mig and have never touched a tig. Been welding 20-24g stainless the past year with a mig running 0.023 wire. Really tired of all the grind out. Have to buy and learn tig in one week. Heard pulse makes it easier for beginners. Still trying to figure out how much machine to buy for this one application that I'll be doing for many years.
    If you are going to be doing this job for many years-then you need to look at buying a new machine as an investment. I don't know what your budget is, but I would strongly recommend buying a Dynasty.

You can dial in the pulse feature and make beautiful welds. Pulse will cut down your heat input and minimize distortion. Depending on the joint-you might be able to do a fusion weld. It sure beats the clean up that you have with mig.

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    I'm in my second year with TIG, I'm hooked! The learning curve is a big one. I did as well with MIG the first day as I'm at now with TIG. Of course, my primary interest was aluminum. No I don't yet glow in the dark. Aluminum doesn't stink to weld, you melt it not burn it. It's a great product, build something from aluminum, use it. Build something with steel, grind it, etch it, prime it, paint it, get a crane to move it. Then a year later, sandblast it to repaint again. Each year repeat.

My 1967 Grumman canoe looks almost as nice as it did new. I can't count how many steel vehicles have rusted out since 1967.

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...uce-Distortion

1. The Maxstar 200dx is preferred.
    2. I'm going to try my hand on a borrowed Syncrowave first.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    You bettar buy another grinder...good luck learning tig that quickly. I dont care what machine you have tig is a very different process than mig and is not as easy to pick up like a mig machine is.
    Kevin
    Oh I would not count him out so quick...

everybody learns at a different pace... with different aptitudes..

25 years of welding... probably with some significant oxy-acet time.. should give him a leg up...

I have seen folks pick up a good TIG rythm in an afternoon... while others are still making bird guano after years of trying...

Just no telling...

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    25 years of arc and mig and have never touched a tig. Been welding 20-24g stainless the past year with a mig running 0.023 wire. Really tired of all the grind out. Have to buy and learn tig in one week. Heard pulse makes it easier for beginners. Still trying to figure out how much machine to buy for this one application that I'll be doing for many years.
    You bettar buy another grinder...good luck learning tig that quickly. I dont care what machine you have tig is a very different process than mig and is not as easy to pick up like a mig machine is.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    The big question no one seems to know which I'll hopefully get an honest answer from the Miller sales rep is:.... will the Maxstar STH with 60ppm pulse weld 20-24g stainless as well as the Maxstar 200dx with it's up to 500ppm?
    If you can weld, it will do a fine job. High speed pulse can make a difference.
    If that is all you are buying the machine for, get the cheaper machine.
    The more expensive machine has the potential to do a better job.
    If you can already make nice beads on 24ga stainless then it really depends on how far you wanna take it.
    You want a specific answer and the answer specifically is the 200 can do a better job because it has more features. Doubtful you will ever use that tho. Doubtful you will ever wish you had bought the cheaper, less capable machine if you bought the 200.
    Buy them both. I doubt you ever get to try them both unless you have somebody who really loves you!
    Just sayin'
    We weld that stuff a lot and never use pulse. Most people don't.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Left an aluminum pot on the stove and it melted and burnt. It stunk up the apartment so bad I was very grateful my lease ran out soon after and I moved out. Can't stand aluminum. Nasty crap. It releases radioactive isotopes when it burns. Leave that crap to the aliens from Mars! Steel rules!
    Cowabunga..!!! stick to your guns....!!!

Meanwhile many of the rest of us Martians are having a marvelous time welding Aluminum with our Dynasties...
    (BTW a couple of touches on the membrane panel and we rule the DCEN world of welding steel too)

That darned Aluminum seems to be creeping into everything... even the beloved F-150 Ford.... the aliens must be taking over...

Radioactive isotopes..??... PLS tell us more...

I'm with FusionKing....

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    You can weld aluminum with a 200 Dynasty.
    Once (if) you achieve that, your world will change entirely.
    Your welding time will increase dramatically. There is so much aluminum to be welded it will blow your mind.
    Last edited by H80N; 11-27-2014, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    pants......

The big question no one seems to know which I'll hopefully get an honest answer from the Miller sales rep is:.... will the Maxstar STH with 60ppm pulse weld 20-24g stainless as well as the Maxstar 200dx with it's up to 500ppm?
    Would you buy a pair of pants becuase of a sales rep without trying them on first? Why not try both welders on a piece of scrap you want to weld, and see the results first hand? I wont buy any welder until i have personally tried it.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bosco
    replied
    Left an aluminum pot on the stove and it melted and burnt. It stunk up the apartment so bad I was very grateful my lease ran out soon after and I moved out. Can't stand aluminum. Nasty crap. It releases radioactive isotopes when it burns. Leave that crap to the aliens from Mars! Steel rules!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X