150STH or Dynasty 200dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150STH or Dynasty 200dx?

I've got other welders for heavier stuff. I just need a good tig for 20-24 gauge stainless. Just this one application. Is the Dynasty 200dx going to do any or much better than the 150STH? The 150sth has only 4 settings of pulse up to 60ppm. The Dynasty 200dx has variable pulse settings up to 500ppm. Is the increased pulsing worth the added cost?Really have to make a decision quick. Appreciate all response! Not interested in other manufacturers. I just ordered drive rolls for my 35 year old Miller tig that still performs like a champ. No way I'm buying anything else!

Maxstar DX would be more comparable with the 150STL

Comment

Yeah I meant maxstar 200dx. I'm calling a sales rep on monday

Comment

You can weld aluminum with a 200 Dynasty.
        Once (if) you achieve that, your world will change entirely.
        Your welding time will increase dramatically. There is so much aluminum to be welded it will blow your mind.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Left an aluminum pot on the stove and it melted and burnt. It stunk up the apartment so bad I was very grateful my lease ran out soon after and I moved out. Can't stand aluminum. Nasty crap. It releases radioactive isotopes when it burns. Leave that crap to the aliens from Mars! Steel rules!

Comment

The big question no one seems to know which I'll hopefully get an honest answer from the Miller sales rep is:.... will the Maxstar STH with 60ppm pulse weld 20-24g stainless as well as the Maxstar 200dx with it's up to 500ppm?

Comment

pants......

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
              The big question no one seems to know which I'll hopefully get an honest answer from the Miller sales rep is:.... will the Maxstar STH with 60ppm pulse weld 20-24g stainless as well as the Maxstar 200dx with it's up to 500ppm?
              Would you buy a pair of pants becuase of a sales rep without trying them on first? Why not try both welders on a piece of scrap you want to weld, and see the results first hand? I wont buy any welder until i have personally tried it.
              Kevin
              Lincoln ranger 305g x2
              Ln25
              Miller spectrum 625
              Miller 30a spoolgun
              Wc115a
              Lincoln 210mp
              F550 imt service truck

Comment

Left an aluminum pot on the stove and it melted and burnt. It stunk up the apartment so bad I was very grateful my lease ran out soon after and I moved out. Can't stand aluminum. Nasty crap. It releases radioactive isotopes when it burns. Leave that crap to the aliens from Mars! Steel rules!
                Cowabunga..!!! stick to your guns....!!!

Meanwhile many of the rest of us Martians are having a marvelous time welding Aluminum with our Dynasties...
                (BTW a couple of touches on the membrane panel and we rule the DCEN world of welding steel too)

That darned Aluminum seems to be creeping into everything... even the beloved F-150 Ford.... the aliens must be taking over...

Radioactive isotopes..??... PLS tell us more...

I'm with FusionKing....

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                You can weld aluminum with a 200 Dynasty.
                Once (if) you achieve that, your world will change entirely.
                Your welding time will increase dramatically. There is so much aluminum to be welded it will blow your mind.
                Last edited by H80N; 11-27-2014, 06:36 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

If you can weld, it will do a fine job. High speed pulse can make a difference.
                  If that is all you are buying the machine for, get the cheaper machine.
                  The more expensive machine has the potential to do a better job.
                  If you can already make nice beads on 24ga stainless then it really depends on how far you wanna take it.
                  You want a specific answer and the answer specifically is the 200 can do a better job because it has more features. Doubtful you will ever use that tho. Doubtful you will ever wish you had bought the cheaper, less capable machine if you bought the 200.
                  Buy them both. I doubt you ever get to try them both unless you have somebody who really loves you!
                  Just sayin'
                  We weld that stuff a lot and never use pulse. Most people don't.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

25 years of arc and mig and have never touched a tig. Been welding 20-24g stainless the past year with a mig running 0.023 wire. Really tired of all the grind out. Have to buy and learn tig in one week. Heard pulse makes it easier for beginners. Still trying to figure out how much machine to buy for this one application that I'll be doing for many years.

Comment

25 years of arc and mig and have never touched a tig. Been welding 20-24g stainless the past year with a mig running 0.023 wire. Really tired of all the grind out. Have to buy and learn tig in one week. Heard pulse makes it easier for beginners. Still trying to figure out how much machine to buy for this one application that I'll be doing for many years.
                      You bettar buy another grinder...good luck learning tig that quickly. I dont care what machine you have tig is a very different process than mig and is not as easy to pick up like a mig machine is.
                      Kevin
                      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                      Ln25
                      Miller spectrum 625
                      Miller 30a spoolgun
                      Wc115a
                      Lincoln 210mp
                      F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                        You bettar buy another grinder...good luck learning tig that quickly. I dont care what machine you have tig is a very different process than mig and is not as easy to pick up like a mig machine is.
                        Kevin
                        Oh I would not count him out so quick...

everybody learns at a different pace... with different aptitudes..

25 years of welding... probably with some significant oxy-acet time.. should give him a leg up...

I have seen folks pick up a good TIG rythm in an afternoon... while others are still making bird guano after years of trying...

Just no telling...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...uce-Distortion

1. The Maxstar 200dx is preferred.
                          2. I'm going to try my hand on a borrowed Syncrowave first.

Comment

I'm in my second year with TIG, I'm hooked! The learning curve is a big one. I did as well with MIG the first day as I'm at now with TIG. Of course, my primary interest was aluminum. No I don't yet glow in the dark. Aluminum doesn't stink to weld, you melt it not burn it. It's a great product, build something from aluminum, use it. Build something with steel, grind it, etch it, prime it, paint it, get a crane to move it. Then a year later, sandblast it to repaint again. Each year repeat.

My 1967 Grumman canoe looks almost as nice as it did new. I can't count how many steel vehicles have rusted out since 1967.
                            Dynasty 280DX
                            Bobcat 250
                            MM252
                            Spool gun
                            Twentieth Century 295
                            Twentieth Century 295 AC
                            Marquette spot welder
                            Smith torches

Comment

If you are going to be doing this job for many years-then you need to look at buying a new machine as an investment. I don't know what your budget is, but I would strongly recommend buying a Dynasty.

You can dial in the pulse feature and make beautiful welds. Pulse will cut down your heat input and minimize distortion. Depending on the joint-you might be able to do a fusion weld. It sure beats the clean up that you have with mig.

Comment

Working...
                              X