Newbie with diversion 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with diversion 180

I just bought a diversion 180, i have never tig welded before. Just wondering about the basic setup. I have put 3/32 tungsten in it, started welding aluminum and had pretty good luck on flat work. How far does the tungsten extent out? Do i need to grind it? Any help would be great

thanks

div 180

Originally posted by Jesusfreak View Post
    I just bought a diversion 180, i have never tig welded before. Just wondering about the basic setup. I have put 3/32 tungsten in it, started welding aluminum and had pretty good luck on flat work. How far does the tungsten extent out? Do i need to grind it? Any help would be great

thanks
    no grinding on it. Use green 100% about 1/8" stick out. Dip aluminum rod (4043 or 5356 or whatever in front edge of wet puddle that your electrode creates.

Comment

Originally posted by coxey2 View Post
      no grinding on it. Use green 100% about 1/8" stick out. Dip aluminum rod (4043 or 5356 or whatever in front edge of wet puddle that your electrode creates.

?????????
      Yes, you grind a point on the tungsten. No, you don't use pure tungsten on inverter machines. You should probably read the info provided on millers website that is free on tig welding.

Comment

Originally posted by coxey2 View Post

That is WRONG.... inverter machines want a ground tungsten... like the Diversion

Grinding info is in this TIG Guidelines booklet

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf

Balled pure tungsten is for transformer machines...

you want sharpened blunted.... preferably Lanthanated or Ceriated Tungsten...

BTW... depending on the aluminum alloy you are welding... you might try 4943 instead of 4043... it is neat stuff...
        Last edited by H80N; 12-01-2014, 01:24 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

or just look in the manual

H80N-

all dat stuff in the GTAW pdf is in the manual for the 180

If you bought it used wid out a manual here is the online version

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o263920a_mil.pdf
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
            or just look in the manual

H80N-

all dat stuff in the GTAW pdf is in the manual for the 180

If you bought it used wid out a manual here is the online version

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o263920a_mil.pdf
            Broc

you are absolutely correct...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

100% tungsten

I have two of these machines. Yes they are inverters but they weld fine with 100% tungsten. They weld fine with other tungsten's also. They weld easier with the 100% green tungsten. The 4043 flows and wets better too. As you get more used to it try the other tungsten's. The point won't stay sharp on the 100% and will ball like HF and weld fine.

Comment

Working...
              X