Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few general questions from the rookie

Hey guys ....

I just have a few questions for you all. When I had my first real experience at mig and tig I was informed that you need a different glove for each. At least thats what he had. Something about the heat being greater or more intense with tig. That being said do you guys have one for each? What brand of gloves do you suggest? I only mig (for now 8-) ).

On the subject of Plasma cutters I have a few. The first is what setting does one use on the visor? I have the Optrel Sat. I picked up a used Hypertherm Max 20 and was wondering if anyone here has the manual they would be willing to sell or allow me to copy (will pay for the effort or pay to have is sent to me and returned). Do I need another set or kind of gloves for this?

Ok thats it for now....

Thank you

Jorge
    MM210 w/3035
    Next up - Sync 200

SoCalTA,

Gloves: TIG gloves are generally much thinner for manual dexterity. The thinner tighter fitting leather or "kids skin" allows for much more feel and control needed to handle the small TIG torch.

Gloves: MIG gloves are typically the same bulky, thick leather gloves most folks associate with welding. They offer better protection form the heat and spatter. I am right handed and use an aluminum backing (it slips on and is held by a strap) on my left hand when MIG welding with higher currents or using the spray arc mode due to the intense heat radiated from the arc and work piece. It is not necessary to have as much feel and finesse with the MIG/STICK welding gloves because the MIG torch and STICK electrode holder are larger and fairly easy to maneuver.

Optrel Satellite: I use the #5 setting with a short delay for plasma cutting. My plasma has a 55 amp output and I've never had a problem seeing the material or any eyestrain/burn associated with the #5 shade. I usually drag the torch. You may want to try a #6 or #7 if you are consistently using a stand off type tip (holding the torch 1/8" or so above the work). This allows more radiation from the arc and warrants a darker shade.

Hypertherm MAX 20: Try emailing Hypertherm and see if they have such information for download or purchase. Here's the email address:
    [email protected]

Comment

ive found

i have found that TILLMAN make the best welding gloves, they make a medium weight glove for mig welding and the usually last me 6 months of HARD EVERYDAY USE. their tig gloves are or a lightweight kid skin and protect your hands from the high intesity arc and heat, but shout only be used for tig welding other wise they burn up quickly.
      i stronly suggest wearing a good pair of gloves when MIG welding but in tig welding some guys dont use gloves for the whole dexterity thing, if you plan on doing any stick welding or mig or even thick aluminum tig welding a good pair of gloves can save you from some nasty burns.

as far as a helmet goes take a ride to your local supply store and try them all out, i just got a solar helmet after welding for 5 years, it does make a big diffrence but its a big $$$$$ investment and you have to treat them with care, cant leave em in the carin winter or the battries freeze and lord help you if you drop it
      i got a hobart hood shade 9 to 13 nice light weight and comfortable, for under 200.00 its a really nice helmet.

good luck, brian

Comment

Gloves (Tillman are the best) are needed for TIG because of the high amounts of UV A, B & C that are emitted. Like sunburn, the more exposure the sooner you get skin cancer.

Bob Sigmon
        Bob Sigmon
        A/O Setup with Meco Midget
        Miller Big Window Elite
        Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

thanks guys for your input and help. I am not better prepared to get the gloves.
          Hawk I like the idea of the shield. Is it a come thing to find at most welding stores? I noticed when I was using the Mig at my girlfriends fathers house that it was very hot. I would like the added protection.
          MM210 w/3035
          Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Jorge,

Check out the Ebay items from Big Scott

He has great prices on Welding gloves and the shields that Hawk spoke of. He will also combine items for reduced shipping cost.

Bob Sigmon
            Bob Sigmon
            A/O Setup with Meco Midget
            Miller Big Window Elite
            Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

thank you Bob for the link. I will check it out.
              MM210 w/3035
              Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
                Jorge,

Check out the Ebay items from Big Scott

He has great prices on Welding gloves and the shields that Hawk spoke of. He will also combine items for reduced shipping cost.

Bob Sigmon
                I've dealt with Big Scott on several E-Bay items , and he's quite good to deal with, quick ship and very courtious.I would'nt hesitate to deal with him!!
                Mike
                MACH4

Comment

Working...
                X