325 Efi review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325 Efi review

Well I have just shy of 100hrs on my machine now so I thought I would give my opinion on it performance. I haven't tried anything but stick so far, I'm sure the TIG and MIG will follow. The first thing I noticed is that it seems to have a fairly aggressive arc in the 6010 mode while running a bead in pipe, not in a negative way either. I've been doing most of my pipe welding in the 6010 mode with the arc force between -25 and 0, going to the plus side seems a bit harsh for me. While welding on structural components I used the 7018 mode with the arc force at 0 and found it to have a nice smooth arc. The fuel consumption is far better than my old 305G was but still not as good as my Vantage was. I really like the Excel power, it's nice not to hear it rev up while the rod oven is plugged in and/or grinding. As far as noise goes I find it to be fairly quiet too. So far I don't have anything to really complain about with this machine but I'll have to see after I get a few more hours on it. And for those wondering, it will burn 1/4" on pipe. I also added the optional electric fuel pump, which if you follow the direction should take you 1/2 hour or less to install as the wire in the harness already has a clip on it and there is mounting bosses on the inside of the welder to screw the pump to.

As with all hybrids, (those using igbts, or in this case a single IGBT for an engineered weld wave form) they weld nice. They will weld a cold 1/4", but really not alot of 1/4 work out there anyways. I'm just not fond of the high heat situation in the summer, and frozen stuff in the Winter. My covers stop the frozen stuff from happening. Been using 0-40 Lucas motorcycle oil in them and perkins oil filtersnow for the winter. Pretty much same engine in these and with the the Linc 305G EFI. Only difference I can see is a Electronic Throttle positioner in The Miller.

Again the extra fuel pump is silly. as there is a pump in the right head and a high pressure one on the side of the engine.

Comment

I agree about the cold 1/4". My Vantage 400 was the same in pipe mode, always wanted 10 more amps. I find this 325 the same. As far as the fuel pump goes, I'm sure it's redundant but the Lincoln comes with one from the factory, so I didn't think it would hurt. My plans with the oil was to go with Amsoil 5w30 Signature series. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I did some looking on the Fram oil filter sight and they make two different filters for that series of Kohler, a short and a long. The welders come with the short, can I run the longer one to add more filtering capacity?

Comment

I use either the Perkins or Lubrifiner ph2835 or ph2814 the Perkins has a temp valve. Let's oil directly in when it's cold out to prevent cold weather wear. still want to use a zinc type oil. So any diesel oil like T6 Rottella is fine , any motorcycle synthetic oil, or Quakerstate Defy. And no stupid cold weather heat kits

Comment

Fram filters like Hastings are crap. Use the numbers I supplied and all will be happy. you can get Lubrifiner at Greggs

Comment

Why do you recommend diesel motor oil, isn't it quite high in detergents? What cold weather kits are you referring to, electric heaters and such?

Comment

Everything is high in detergents. Thats why I've gone with 0-40 Lucas Motorcycle oil. Or Quakerstate Defy. However if non of that is around a Diesel oil will be fine. Some Kohler cold weather kits have a block off plate and draw air exclusively from the muffler. These are bad news for the engine.

Comment

Oil Filters

Thousands of Fram filters sold every day. What tests prove them to be "junk?"

Byron

Comment

nice to hear the feedback on the 325. there is a difference in the oil filters.

Not much new to say that hasnt been brought up here, other than I have switched from running fram filters to Wix , have had good luck with them so far. I dont know if they have a better filter media in them, Last oil change i did with the fram there seemed to be very fine cheesy looking globules in the oil when i drained it, im not sure if it was bad gas or possibly condensation or something in with the oil. I run 0w40 full syn all year, and either Rotella or mobil delvac. Only happened the one time. so i switched to the wix and it hasnt happened since, Engine runs like a top and not using oil or leaking, so i dunno what it could have been.
                  I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Many many tests and trails, I've cut them all apart as do most diesel and gas guys. Basically all over the internet. Fram has fantastic marketing, but the actual filters, if you can get around the card board, are really not all that good.

Kind of like having a certain type of corn like Taber for instance. It was just a feed stock for many years, untill it was marketed as being the best corn anywhere. Really its not all that good. Turned out that Washington corn was and still is much better. But we are turned on by the Taber marketing.

Comment

Fram ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PyewZ16iL0 Among others...

And you just have to feel the weight difference between good one and a fram.

Comment

325 Efi review

Dodge cummins engines were to Never use Fram filters there junk. Ask your local dealer, there were service bulletins issued on them and if remember they would cover failure under warranty if found Fram filter on engine.
                        I have personally seen a Fram filter blow out on Cummins engine. Enough proof for me.

Comment

325 Efi review

Typo. Big thumbs. Meant would Not cover engine failure under warranty if found Fram filter used.

Comment

Don't use Amsoil Signature Series. Its a fantastic oil for automobiles, but not for small engines. Reason being that its a SN-rated oil which substitutes other lubricating elements rather than zinc, because zinc is not catalytic-converter friendly. Since these engines don't use catalytic-converters, you want an oil that's high in zinc. An oil that's rated SH or SL would be better, or as mentioned, diesel engine oils are excellent too. Amsoil has an oil recommended specifically for small engines like welders, but its only a 10W-30 grade so I would stay away from that for winter use. Find a heavy-duty diesel oil that's 0W-40 and use that year round.

Comment

I looked at the amsoil site and the diesel oil I use is also sn rated, (sae 5w-40 synthetic). Is sn rated oil inferior to oils with Zinc?

Comment

Working...
                              X