Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruizer
    replied
    Thats quite odd, That gas valve would have buzzed like crazy if it was shot. It would not have opened then slowly closed. ( shaft is spring loaded) would have had to have something before the solinoid causing this. They all puff , then go to where ever you set the CFH too. I still say that something is in that gas solinoid, usually a piece of teflon tape that your not supposed to use. When I go on a service call its always a plugged gas inlet screen. Or I disassemble and clean a non-noisy solinoid. Noisy ones I replace. Yours makes no sense.
    Last edited by cruizer; 12-01-2014, 08:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tomget
    replied
    I'm surprised at the responses I'm getting from the forum..

I must not be explaining it well.

As I said from my trouble shooting I can see that the gas valve is not working properly. Yes there's a puff of gas but no flow after that. That's not good! OK?

I just got the replacement valve on the machine. Miller part #218422 and the welds are now just fine. Gas flows. I bought it from Oxygen Supply Co, White Plains, Maryland. I bought it on line.

My trouble shooting told me the valve was bad. Sorry I couldn't convince you all, but I guess I just didn't explain it like you needed to hear.

The old welder is working good again.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by tomget View Post
    Have I welded with it?

Yes. And yes porosity of no shielding gas. It wasn't like that before. Its broken. I'm trying to get some help with fixing it.
    Well solenoid is ok, puff of gas is completely normal. Sooooo,it's getting to the drive. That only leaves the gun, maybe its pulled apart inside. Did you drag the machine around with the gun?

I read new machine, so not welded with yet, apparently not the case

Leave a comment:

• tomget
    replied
    Have I welded with it?

Yes. And yes porosity of no shielding gas. It wasn't like that before. Its broken. I'm trying to get some help with fixing it.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
    Just remember to relieve the pressure on the drive-roller first, before putting it up to your ear,,,, it might hurt if you drive the wire through your eardrum.

LOL, thats common sense, I'd hope

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Just remember to relieve the pressure on the drive-roller first, before putting it up to your ear,,,, it might hurt if you drive the wire through your eardrum.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 11-20-2014, 07:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Actually, everything is working just fine, have you welded with it?

Leave a comment:

• tomget
    replied
    BTW I have the gas inlet plastic housing separated from the solenoid..its just connected with two small fasteners..and I can put the gas inlet to me mouth and blow into it and the air passes through freely with no restriction. So to me..that means there is "no screen".

Leave a comment:

• tomget
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Remove the gas hose at rear of machine then look in at the gas soliniod. There may be an inlet screen in there. This screen likes to plug up. Thus burst of gas then slows down to nothing.
    As i mentioned earlier i did remove the gas hose at the rear..no screen anywhere that I see and yes the gas flows freely from the hose from the tank.
    But when it goes through the valve it only makes a single burst of gas and then slows to a trickle or is not flowing at all.

I bought this machine new and have the Miller owner's manual with all the schematics. It doesn't indicate a screen of any kind in that area.
    Millermatic 150 and GA-17c gun June 1993..is the date on the manual.

Maybe the newer machines have a screen. I don't know. All I have with this is an electric solenoid that pulls or pushes on a rubber looking round diaphragm that then allows gas to proceed or stop passing through the gas valve. Its all pretty open and there's no screens or moving parts other than the round diaphragm.

The gas flows into the valve just fine, but not out. So it could be a bad signal from the trigger itself or something with the diaphragm that is failing to keep it in the open position. Other than that I can't think of what it might be.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Thats true too, I use my ear against the nozzle to hear the air flow. If you have a actual flow meter you can see the little ball rising. when you hit the trigger.

Duh, should have though of this first....

The question should have been, "I have lots of porosity in the weld" No gas?

Leave a comment:

• JSFAB
    replied
    Since you are "pretty new to welding", how do you know there is a problem with your gas flow? Have you actually welded with it, and have symptoms of no shielding gas in the weld?

The "puff" you are talking about is normal, when the trigger is first pressed you are releasing the pressure built up behind the valve up to the limit of the flowmeter/regulator. Once the trigger is pressed for a second or two, there is essentially no pressure in the line, since it is an open, free-flowing line. Assuming you are running 15 - 20 CFH, it is pretty hard to feel if the gas is flowing through the diffuser, especially for an inexperienced person. It will NOT feel like it does coming out of the hose, or an air compressor line. It would feel like you opened your mouth very wide, and gently/softly breathed out.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Remove the gas hose at rear of machine then look in at the gas soliniod. There may be an inlet screen in there. This screen likes to plug up. Thus burst of gas then slows down to nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    You have verified that the gas is flowing to the machine with the hose disconnected?
    The screen should be inside the inlet to the solenoid valve body I would guess. It will be very small if that's where it is. What do you see if you look into the inlet?
    Can you manually activate the valve with it disassembled? Does the gas flow?---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• tomget
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Look at Cruizer's post above. Find the screen on the inlet to the machine I guess and clean it first before you buy anything.---Meltedmetal
    OK will check that.

I've looked everywhere but don't see anything on the machine that looks like an "inlet screen"..The hose from the tank fastens into the valve at the back of the machine and nothing there. I've separated the valve itself into the electric solenoid being one part and the plastic housing that allows the gas to flow, but no screen there.

Where would the screen be? I can't find it.

Thx
    Last edited by tomget; 11-19-2014, 11:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Look at Cruizer's post above. Find the screen on the inlet to the machine I guess and clean it first before you buy anything.---Meltedmetal
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 11-19-2014, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X