Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to me XMT300 CC/CV is there a part missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruizer
    replied
    The early xmt300's were difficult to troubleshoot, caps were not matched very well, and often went blamo if they charged odd.. This surge let the smoke out of various components, so I had to build a quick shut down switch comming off a disconnect. I mean it wasn't all that often, but was close to a couple when they lit up. Not anymore......

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    You had to tell me that they like to blow up, now im going to need to get one and see how much smoke comes out. Kevin
    How much are you willing to give me for that experiment??? Lol.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    great......

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Cause the bottom ends like to explode. This tends to take the power out to the building. So I run them on a fast saftey over amp circuit. The early ones like this one, seemed to be put together with alot of redundant go nowhere circuits.
    You had to tell me that they like to blow up, now im going to need to get one and see how much smoke comes out.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Do they explode, or catch fire? Curious to what they do. I knew they were a powcon welder, i believe powcon was the first to dive into the inverter style machines. I have used them before and they welded nice.Kevin
    Hi KevinI owned 2 powcons a 300ST and a 300 MST, loved them welded great but they both developed problems over time and sold them both at the advice of the LWS. Bought this XMT300 thinking they were better machines because they were newer and they were Miller. I never checked up on the history of them. I need to sleep on this one for a while, still afraid to power it up. Especially when someone with the knowledge and experience cruizer has says stay away from something called a "Popcorn Machine". I get it now for sure. I passed on the pre-charge board on ebay from a previous post since I seem to have wasted enough money on this.Rich

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Cause the bottom ends like to explode. This tends to take the power out to the building. So I run them on a fast saftey over amp circuit. The early ones like this one, seemed to be put together with alot of redundant go nowhere circuits.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    why?

The XMT 300 is kinda a experimental unit, a update of a powcon in a Miller package. As a tech, I'm afraid of them and even after going through a preinspection check list. I stand far away at a disconnect before I turn them on. Not too much stuff I'm afraid of, but the early XMT300 is one of them.
    Do they explode, or catch fire? Curious to what they do. I knew they were a powcon welder, i believe powcon was the first to dive into the inverter style machines. I have used them before and they welded nice.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    The XMT 300 is kinda a experimental unit, a update of a powcon in a Miller package. As a tech, I'm afraid of them and even after going through a preinspection check list. I stand far away at a disconnect before I turn them on. Not too much stuff I'm afraid of, but the early XMT300 is one of them.

Leave a comment:

• Helios
    replied
    At least the ebay item is returnable ... not sure whether it would be ruined if you installed it and it didn't work ... seems like it might be worth taking a chance?

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Welde...-/400738328673Board is on ebay auction ends in 10hrs. It is a buy it now. Do u gamble? Might fix it might not.Kevin
    Thanks Kevin. Saw that last night and am still thinking what to do. This gamble already hurts a little. Not sure but thanks a lot. I appreciate your effort.Rich.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    that board is on ebay....$143 new..

Originally posted by Craftsmanatlarge View Post
    Seller claims it powered up and the voltage display changed while turning the dial. That led me to believe it would work. Just curious. I traced the schematic and found that the A1/A2 coil wires of the W1 and W2 contactors go to this board...so no coil power no control power right? Or am I missing something?ThanksRich
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miller-Welde...-/400738328673
    Board is on ebay auction ends in 10hrs. It is a buy it now. Do u gamble? Might fix it might not.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Would this power up at all with that board missing???

Your missing the precharge / regulator board. In all likely hood, the unit is blown. Parts are obsolete as well, being such an old machine. Don't waste your time on this one, as even if it was fixed and running, it isn't worth much
    Seller claims it powered up and the voltage display changed while turning the dial. That led me to believe it would work. Just curious. I traced the schematic and found that the A1/A2 coil wires of the W1 and W2 contactors go to this board...so no coil power no control power right? Or am I missing something?ThanksRich

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Your missing the precharge / regulator board. In all likely hood, the unit is blown. Parts are obsolete as well, being such an old machine. Don't waste your time on this one, as even if it was fixed and running, it isn't worth much
    Thanks cruizer. That is one expensive boat anchor I have there. I should have known better.
    Last edited by Craftsmanatlarge; 11-18-2014, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Driver card #168777 just found that. Wasn't such a good deal after all. Thanks snowbird.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Craftsmanatlarge
    replied
    Originally posted by snowbird View Post
    sadly it seems so. check the pics there. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...CC-CV-problems
    Thanks. Uggh what was that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X