Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No argon getting to electrode handle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No argon getting to electrode handle

    First I am sorry if this is a stupid question but have viewed the threads and was not able to find an answer.

    I am completely new to TIG welding and just bought a Max Star 150 STL gently used by someone who got it to take classes.

    I have hooked up everything and double checked for leaks. I have brand new full gas bottle. I have disconnected the lines and turned on gas but I am getting "0" gas through machine. I let the gauges sit for 20 minutes with machine on and the pressure did not drop at all. As a matter of fact it did not zero until I disconnected hose from back of machine. I looked in the positive port hook up and there is a torque head bolt at the back. Is it possible that you have to remove this if you want to use gas shielding? I do know that the person I bought it from never had gas on it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Ken

  • #2
    Originally posted by SoapyKen View Post
    First I am sorry if this is a stupid question but have viewed the threads and was not able to find an answer.

    I am completely new to TIG welding and just bought a Max Star 150 STL gently used by someone who got it to take classes.

    I have hooked up everything and double checked for leaks. I have brand new full gas bottle. I have disconnected the lines and turned on gas but I am getting "0" gas through machine. I let the gauges sit for 20 minutes with machine on and the pressure did not drop at all. As a matter of fact it did not zero until I disconnected hose from back of machine. I looked in the positive port hook up and there is a torque head bolt at the back. Is it possible that you have to remove this if you want to use gas shielding? I do know that the person I bought it from never had gas on it.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Ken
    What are the machine settings?? remote??

    do you have a pedal installed..??

    Here is a link to the manual... just match to your serial number..

    http://www.millerwelds.com/service/l...&submit=Search
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #3
      Figured it out "stupid !"

      Thanks for the help and I know I will need more. I had the connections backwards for TIG. I read the post and saw that TIG is done positive ground and negative to electrode. "EN"I have entire owners manual and parts list with set up instructions and no where does it say that in set up.Ken

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SoapyKen View Post
        Thanks for the help and I know I will need more. I had the connections backwards for TIG. I read the post and saw that TIG is done positive ground and negative to electrode. "EN"I have entire owners manual and parts list with set up instructions and no where does it say that in set up.Ken
        DC TIG is usually done Electrode Negative....

        So... you are getting Argon flow now???

        Here is a booklet that will give you the basics & guidelines for the TIG process...

        http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf
        Last edited by H80N; 11-10-2014, 04:09 PM.
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by H80N View Post
          DC TIG is usually done Electrode Negative....

          So... you are getting Argon flow now???

          Here is a booklet that will give you the basics & guidelines for the TIG process...

          http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf
          You may have a leaking hose. Had the same problem on my portable; the torch was new but had been in tool box in cold weather for two year and was full of splits in gas hose.

          Comment

          Working...
          X