Work ground attachment(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work ground attachment(s)

I was curious if there are many different ways people use to attach the work cable to the welding bench as far as what they clamp it to? Like on my 1/2" thick table I just clamp it to a clean spot and have run that way for years. Then I thought it would be nice to have a helper work clamp that I could clamp to the part but not remove the main work clamp from the table. Has anyone welded a large bolt to their welding table where they connect the main work clamp, and then connect a short jumper type cable to the same bolt to connect to their work? Just wonder if it is a common practice or a dumb idea... Some parts are odd shaped and need a direct connection to the work clamp.
    Thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Grumple
    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks
    Miller Swinger AC 180 (SOLD)
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX Runner with Pulser

I hook the machines work connection directly to the part unless it's so tiny this is not practical. Just eliminates a poor connection as a variable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
      I hook the machines work connection directly to the part unless it's so tiny this is not practical. Just eliminates a poor connection as a variable.
      This technique is also good for eliminating the possibility of arc marks ( as can keeping your table clean!). Many times I have to weld machined parts without damaging the machined surface, I can set the part on a clean towel or cardboard and connect the work clamp directly.
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

Absolutely, my table has a ground thru the cement for a central location, I use my bench for plasma and limited stick and my tig is hooked to it. I don't do it with stand alone feeders, they seem to be fussy about ground loops.
        I clamp work to the table to connect it and do have a jumper cable to reach projects especially for cutting.
        I have another set of leads on a hanger near the door on this system with an additional stick lead which also has a Y, one for the booth and benches and one reaches out on floor or out the door.
        I really need a sketch of my floor plan for this to make more sense as to the relationship of all these things to the floor space and the doors. Seasonal pull up out the side door next to the welding area makes it easy to share the tools, I drag out 1 ground cable, the plasma lead and the stick lead.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Sberry; 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I do move the torch in this whole scheme, really just didn't want an extra setup of bottles in the way most of the time, takes a few steps to get it but move it next to the work and we use it on cars at the hoist some too. I work quite a little out the side door on an apron when the weather permits. I let it snow right shut last winter but when its nice its super convenient and the door is open letting foot traffic and some golf cart pass thru but it faces the rest of the complex. I use the front door in winter and funnel car traffic thru the big door on to a drain pad.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Sberry; 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I do have a couple blue machines too. I still fiddle with moving a machine on occasion. It hit me a while back that this one hadn't been in the right spot, it now works on the bench but reaches out on the floor better. That's water on the floor, the bench is a real cobble job but it worked well enough no one felt like changing it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Grumple View Post
              Has anyone welded a large bolt to their welding table where they connect the main work clamp, and then connect a short jumper type cable to the same bolt to connect to their work?
              Thoughts?
              Thanks,
              Grumple

Yes.. that's my arrangement... Two welders (AC Stick and MIG Unit) and a Plasma Cutter sit underneath the welding table and each have a short ground cable lugged and bolted to the table frame.

From that point, one long ground cable with clamp (suitably sized for the 295amp AC welder) is wound up on the back of the table that is used on work too large, too heavy or awkward to sit on the welding table. Otherwise any work placed on the table gets its ground from the table.

My 10" grinder with 50 grit sanding disc is used to occasionally clean and "polish" the table top to remove any splatter or "ground marks".
              Hobby Welder for about 32 years
              Hobart 190 MIG with SpoolGun
              Hobart AirForce 700i Plasma Cutter
              Hornell Speedglas 9000X Helmet
              295A AC Buzzbox (what I learned on)
              Miller Bobcat 225, factory propane option, also serves as my emergency power generator
              Dandeman's Toy Page

Comment

Thanks SBerry and Dandeman for your comments and pics. So I wasn't out of line when I suggested this setup. Glad to hear other people think alike and the idea is functional and useable. Now I need to get it done.
                Grumple
                Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Comment

I usually clamp to the table but often toss plasma work on the grate.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                    I usually clamp to the table but often toss plasma work on the grate.
                    I need to locate some of that grate locally. I always do my plasma cutting outside it seems but your little setup with the grate and bin look very usable indoors. I was going to build a plasma table but decided against it as it seems like it could be messy and I also do powder coating in my shop. Thanks for the pics.
                    Grumple
                    Oxy/Ac Large Tanks

Comment

I cut outside when weather permits especially for demolition. The can is nice, I had a smaller one I cobbled but this works well and keeps dross off the floor, every time a guy cuts a little doesn't have to sweep. I have a 'keyway" cut in the grate so I don't have to be square with the bench not to have it interfere with the cut.
                      You can set a water pan under, that helps although I don't really do it. As with many things there is a difference between a little and a lot. I don't cut a lot but often, some guys could get by with a barrel with grate over it.
                      Last edited by Sberry; 12-04-2014, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X