Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitting Diversion with Dinse connections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    I don't know if I was just sent the wrong receptacle but I overlooked a couple things with this Miller gas-through one. First, there was no nipple or anything in the bag to attach the gas line. It's just a standard M10 bolt thread like on the normal receptacle so there aren't any easy ways to attach a line that will also clamp the ring terminal. I ordered a male -4AN fitting with an M10 thread, and then a mating fitting with a 6mm barb - and while this may have solved my problem of attaching a gas line and clamping the terminal, it didn't solve the biggest problem - there's no gasket inside to seal the dinse connector, and it does leak. I tried to put an o-ring in there but the connector won't fit in anymore. I've had to make a custom o-ring out of foam which has gone against my standard off-the-shelf conversion thread I was trying to make.

It came with 3 large o-rings and I could see where one went, but not sure what the other two are for but the more I looks at this, I'm beginning to think these are simply to make the receptacle water-proof or at least water-resistant for outdoor use and has absolutely nothing to do with a gas-through function. What I'm doing with this receptacle, I could have easily done with a normal receptacle.

I hope I haven't caused people to buy this same part only to find themselves in the same predicament. Walking through the local supply store, I found that Lincoln's TIG-200 actually does have a proper gas-through receptacle on it with an o-ring but I didn't get a part# for it because at the time I was looking for another part. I would have recommended that had I known.

Leave a comment:

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    Sorry for such a long hiatus - other things took precedence and just getting back to this now.

Finally started to dig in to this. Everything came apart pretty easily, save for one panel-mount zip-tie that I didn't want to ruin.

Punched up a little program real quick and cut the holes for the connectors - one of the perks of being a machinist. Nice and tight. I'll start putting the machine back together a little later.

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    Originally posted by Cavi Mike View Post
    I changed my mind and have decided to use the gas-thru connecter so as to keep the front panel OEM in function and outward appearance. So far the parts I've ordered are as follows:

Miller 202813 Female Gas-Thru 1/2" DINSE panel receptacle
    Miller 129525 Female Standard 1/2" DINSE panel receptacle
    SafeLoc SLWHAT-35M Male Water Cooled Gas-Thru 1/2" DINSE Connector
    Miller 221322 Male Standard 1/2" DINSE Connector

Once these parts come in, I'll verify all of these parts will actually work and then I'll get to the build.

And get out of my thread cruzer. You're not welcome here.

hey man, find a new forum. No one wants to help you here. I'll say it at the expense of my membership, get lost. .....

Want to flex some nuts?.. Just remember, in life you should be humble, be a man, and fight for those who can't. In my opinion you have done none of the above.
    Last edited by ja baudin; 11-09-2014, 06:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    *IMPORTANT EDIT!*

I changed my mind and have decided to use the gas-thru connecter so as to keep the front panel OEM in function and outward appearance. So far the parts I've ordered are as follows:

Miller 202813 Female Gas-Thru 1/2" DINSE panel receptacle <--DOES NOT SEAL! DO NOT ORDER!
    Miller 129525 Female Standard 1/2" DINSE panel receptacle
    SafeLoc SLWHAT-35M Male Water Cooled Gas-Thru 1/2" DINSE Connector
    Miller 221322 Male Standard 1/2" DINSE Connector

Once these parts come in, I'll verify all of these parts will actually work and then I'll get to the build.

And get out of my thread cruzer. You're not welcome here.
    Last edited by Cavi Mike; 01-29-2017, 02:22 PM. Reason: Part list update

Leave a comment:

• kiwi
    replied
    An "expert's expert" doesn't immediately assume I'm some ham-fisted hack, jump to the conclusion that I'm going to ruin my welder and then require his help to repair it. If he's so upset with how many people have done this, then that's his problem and he chose the wrong profession; he has no right to take out his frustrations on me.

And I love how you guys all think he's some guru on the top of a mountain. There are plenty of people around with far more knowledge than him - and considering he isn't familiar AT ALL with my specific machine, I specifically don't want his generalized opinions nor comments in my thread.

But back on topic:
    I will be going with standard 5/8-18 fittings for gas and water, I've decided the gas-thru doesn't add enough of a benefit to outweigh the trouble of using special fittings.
    Honestly you know nothing about him. He is an amazing tech. I have been on this board for years and have never been rude to anyone. You just joined and dropped the F-bomb to someone who was trying to help you. Good luck trying to get help now.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Its a mistake to modifiy a piece of equipment, thats all I was saying. If you do run into problems, and blow something on the install, even down the road somewhere, there is no tech that will help you repair it. I'm been at this trade for over 20 years, I've seen it all.

Now, I say F'c it take it somewhere else. Personally, My customer base is massive, I don't call in for tech support, they call me.

Leave a comment:

• Cgotto6
    replied
    Wow. Since you seem to know so much about cruizer why don't you write his bio. You are making yourself sound very stupid, best thing to do at this point is to just leave.

Leave a comment:

• crabber
    replied
    An "expert's expert" doesn't immediately assume I'm some ham-fisted hack, jump to the conclusion that I'm going to ruin my welder and then require his help to repair it. If he's so upset with how many people have done this, then that's his problem and he chose the wrong profession; he has no right to take out his frustrations on me.

And I love how you guys all think he's some guru on the top of a mountain. There are plenty of people around with far more knowledge than him - and considering he isn't familiar AT ALL with my specific machine, I specifically don't want his generalized opinions nor comments in my thread.

But back on topic:
    I will be going with standard 5/8-18 fittings for gas and water, I've decided the gas-thru doesn't add enough of a benefit to outweigh the trouble of using special fittings.
    You are a sensitive fellow..!..

Leave a comment:

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by walker View Post
    What a cry baby. He is what you would call an experts expert. Too bad you just lost yourself the best help available when you pooch your machine.

But back on topic:

Leave a comment:

• elvis
    replied
    Hang on,let me get some popcorn and beer for the show....

Okay okay, proceed. I'm ready for the fireworks and magic smoke.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    If you're such an expert, maybe you should actually do some research on this welder before you make [email protected] comments. Now you can go f*ck yourself and get out of my thread because I will make sure you will never get your hands on anything I own.
    Gee...Cavi Mike... when you asked the question.. you did not specify agreeing answers only..

You may not like Cruizer's response... but he is a very knowledgable TECH that provides helpful ... valuable advice on a daily basis.... and his was a very valid viewpoint

your nasty response will not encourage experienced folks to waste their time responding to your questions..

When you slammed that door you appear to have slammed your oscar mayer in it at the same time....

good way to impress the troops when you introduce yourself in a new neighborhood..
    Last edited by H80N; 11-02-2014, 04:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GlenC
    replied
    If you're such an expert, maybe you should actually do some research on this welder before you make [email protected] comments. Now you can go f*ck yourself and get out of my thread because I will make sure you will never get your hands on anything I own.
    With this attitude and disrespect for members here, I'm through with this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Cgotto6
    replied
    What research of this welder would change anything about what he said. He merely stated that as a certified miller tech, he would prefer it to be in factory condition. If I was you, I would just sell that little diversion and get a dynasty, then your torch dilemma, and underpowered machine dilemma are both solved.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    What a cry baby. He is what you would call an experts expert. Too bad you just lost yourself the best help available when you pooch your machine.

Leave a comment:

• Cavi Mike
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Personally, I don't see the point, torches and parts are cheap. Why try to make the unit into something its not. And if it breaks, your not making it any easier for us to repair..

I'd refuse to repair the unit if someone modified it. people try to modify stuff all the time. Being a welder repair guru, what do you think I'd tell them, and where they can go.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X