Stainless steel will be the death of me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless steel will be the death of me

I have been trying to weld together a stainless steel rail and in 3 days I have 20 ft out of 240 foot done. My setup is millermatic 211 Auto set with MVP wire is ER308L size 0.023. In 11 lb spool. Gas is tri-mix. I am having the hardest time keeping the rail straight and at the angle since it is a rake rail. All the welds are coming out really bad and it is going to need some serious finish work. I don't know what grade ss it is but it is sch 40 size and bends. I also have a millermatic 350p that I could use with the spool gun if that would make a better looking weld. I need some help with this one guys, I love welding but not lately. Any tips or xp with ss would help

I've never done any stainless steel work but the shop next door tig welded tons of stainless steel railing not too long ago. I beleive he built small sections then bolt them together somehow. I may be mistaken.

Comment

Pics of the welds would be helpful....

BTW .023 is usually used for thinner stuff... like 12 Ga and smaller
      Last edited by H80N; 10-28-2014, 03:57 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

023 is for floor pans, so real thin. How thick is the rake rail?

Comment

Do you have welding experience? Do you have pictures of the welds? As others have said, .030 would probably be better suited to your material.

Comment

"Gas is tri-mix."
            Argon, CO2, oxygen or helium, argon, CO2?

Comment

Originally posted by big mike View Post
              "Gas is tri-mix."
              Argon, CO2, oxygen or helium, argon, CO2?
              There is some controversy on what is the best gas mix for MIG on stainless...

Here is an old tread on it..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...el-MIG-welding

And here is the Praxair gas selection manual...

http://www.prest-o-sales.com/other_l...n%20Manual.pdf

Also...I do hope that you are NOT trying to use the AUTOSET feature on stainless...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

Here is the shielding gas cross reference to sort out those zillions of catchy tradenames and figure out the actual gas composition of these mixes...

http://www.aoc.com.mx/biblioteca/tab...PROTECCION.pdf

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 200

Comment

Argon, CO2, oxygen has more CO2 than is normally recommended for stainless(below 5%)

Comment

Tri Mix... Which Tri Mix...???

Originally posted by big mike View Post
                    Argon, CO2, oxygen has more CO2 than is normally recommended for stainless(below 5%)
                    There are a whole bunch of gas mix recipes.... we won't know which one till he tells us...

if we look at the cross reference and selection manual... the selection is formidable...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                    X