Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sledsports
    replied
    A 350 is a little overkill for a home shop let alone a 500... Just saying.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Massive machine, running on a toy power supply. Time to rethink your plans for this thing. Get a smaller machine thats easy on your $$$ input power

Leave a comment:

• cj62565
    replied
    I have a stop on the current dial so it can't be turned above 175. So a melt down should hopefully not be in my future. So I'm hoping my only dilemma is the breakers. If anyone knows of a Square D Homeline 100A that has a delay to it, I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• WillieB
    replied
    Your breaker in the sub panel carries less load. One carries garage load, the other carries garage and house. I suggest you upgrade your service including the transformer. NEC allows a 200% breaker over welder peak load. It offers no such luxury for service disconnect or sub panel. That 200% is contingent on code compliance where it concerns circuit conductor sizing. Were it a Syncrowave 250 I'd say you can limp if you can't upgrade. A 500 is severe overload. Thank God for the breakers tripping, if they don't you are going to have a meltdown on the scale of Chernobyl.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by cj62565 View Post
    The serial # isJD693537. I have disconnected the secondary leads #26 & #28 and was able to get it to fire up after a couple tries. Still getting a 10 amp draw at idle and FYI, according to the prints it does not have power factor correction. I verified by checking for caps on the primary and found none. Does everything sound ok? Can I just get a type of breaker that handles inrush current better? I have Square D homeline panels.
    Maybe some slo-blo variety.... one of our electrician wizards like WillieB could answer that..

BTW.. this is the manual version that matches the serial you provided..

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o350l_mil.pdf
    Last edited by H80N; 10-27-2014, 04:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cj62565
    replied
    The serial # isJD693537. I have disconnected the secondary leads #26 & #28 and was able to get it to fire up after a couple tries. Still getting a 10 amp draw at idle and FYI, according to the prints it does not have power factor correction. I verified by checking for caps on the primary and found none. Does everything sound ok? Can I just get a type of breaker that handles inrush current better? I have Square D homeline panels.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by cj62565 View Post
    Hi,

New to the forum and first post. I have a sync 500 hooked up to a 50A breaker in a 100A sub panel that is fed to my workshop from a 100A breaker in my house panel. when I turn the welder on it trips the 50 that has #6 awg from the welder to the sub panel then bypasses the 100 main in the sub then trips the 100 in my house that feeds the sub. every once in a while I can get it to turn on without tripping. When I am lucky enough to get it running it will be pulling 9.9 amps at idle. I did some test welding just to see how much current it would draw and when tig, it would draw around 60 amps at 175. Does that sound about right? I have already tested the diodes and scr's in the rectifier while I had the covers off just looking around for any obvious issues.

Any help greatly appreciated
    The Sync 500 wants to see an input of 180 Amps at 230 Volts for a full output of 625 Amps

here is a link to the manual... just match it to your serial number..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/l...&submit=Search

Leave a comment:

• cj62565
    started a topic Syncrowave 500 start up issues

Syncrowave 500 start up issues

Hi,

New to the forum and first post. I have a sync 500 hooked up to a 50A breaker in a 100A sub panel that is fed to my workshop from a 100A breaker in my house panel. when I turn the welder on it trips the 50 that has #6 awg from the welder to the sub panel then bypasses the 100 main in the sub then trips the 100 in my house that feeds the sub. every once in a while I can get it to turn on without tripping. When I am lucky enough to get it running it will be pulling 9.9 amps at idle. I did some test welding just to see how much current it would draw and when tig, it would draw around 60 amps at 175. Does that sound about right? I have already tested the diodes and scr's in the rectifier while I had the covers off just looking around for any obvious issues.

Any help greatly appreciated
Working...
X