recommend a tight unit to run off of 250 bobcat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend a tight unit to run off of 250 bobcat

I am going to start taking a tig welding course this winter and was wanting to get a tig unit. I want to do a range of metals (mild steel, aluminum and stainless). The question I have is since I have a bobcat can I get a unit that can use the bobcat as its power source. Or would it be better to get a "full" unit (with it's own power supply) and just plug it into the 220 plug when needed. Also what model?

Sorry dam auto correct every time I put tig it wanted to put tight

Comment

recommend a tight unit to run off of 250 bobcat

Dynasty 200 SD or DX runs fine off Bobcat.
      And awesome tig welder.
      Also runs a rod better than some Bobcats powered by the bobcat.

Comment

Why not just get a HF box, and Tig off the bobcat. Why go more into debt that you have to?

Comment

I say get either a Dynasty 200DX or a 280
          Then you can go either way.
          Listening to the Bobcat burning fuel at a shop becomes pointless after some time IMO .....ymmv

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

As mentioned, hi freq box, tig torch, flowmeter & tig away!
            Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs

Comment

Originally posted by Old Skool View Post
              As mentioned, hi freq box, tig torch, flowmeter & tig away!
              It really depends on what type of TIG you intend to do....

if you are ONLY intending to weld thicker sections and do not need precise control or the ability to do very thin stuff then the HF251 HF box is the way to go...

If you do need the precision then the Dynasty is the hot tip...
              (being able to use the Dynasty in shop as FusionKing said is a big plus too)

I have done both... my HF-251 was hooked to a TB301G which at least allowed the foot pedal and contactor control through the 14 pin... the Bobcat cannot as it has NO 14 pin

While both are called TIG.... one is a sportscar ... the other is a dump truck... both have their place but they are worlds apart...
              Last edited by H80N; 10-27-2014, 06:18 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I'll add to that a bit more

Dynasty series........sportscar

Tig on Trailblazer with Freakbox HF-251.......Dumptruck

Tig on Bobcat with Freakbox HF-251........Tractor

I did the Bobcat tig route for YEARS......it was OK at best. I learned a ton about why tig welders are designed to work the way they do.
                You need to be able to back off and increase your amps as you weld. Otherwise you will be constantly walking back and forth to your machine resetting your amps. The arc on the Bobcat is fine. It will lay a nice bead.
                The Arc on a Trailblazer is fine as well. It will allow you to lay a nicer bead because you can adjust your amps as you weld.
                The arc on a Dynasty is awesome. It will allow you to lay beads that are welding textbook examples of the highest quality. It has adjustability that nothing else does and the 200 or 280 can run off of your Bobcat or shop or whatever location.
                Now the 200 can be used for 120 volt power too. The 280 requires 240 volt.
                That said the 200 Dynasty is the most versatile machine.
                It is a tough, tough, tough decision for me whether to get a 200 or a 280......120 volt capability vs. 280 amps. (get both IMO)
                Seriously, unless you need the 120 volt feature and can afford it the 280 is truly the better machine. Once you master the basic fundamentals of welding, it has features that no other Dynasty has yet to offer. Like the ability to break the arc into individual waveforms for either positive or negative. That being via a SD card port. That means it is upgradeable. IMO a very nice feature.
                I'm certain that will be on the 350 and 700 pretty soon tho. It only makes sense, but for now the 280 is kickin' butt and taking down names!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thank you guys, so I think I'll just same up some more money and get a dynasty. Thanks again for all of the input

Comment

Originally posted by bigtow30t View Post
                    Thank you guys, so I think I'll just same up some more money and get a dynasty. Thanks again for all of the input
                    In the meantime while you are saving for your Dynasty....
                    if you get a TIG torch, regulator and argon bottle you could still do DC scratch TIG on steel with the Bobcat....
                    Kinda basic...but once you get the hang of it you can do some good work..
                    Last edited by H80N; 10-28-2014, 10:08 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                    X