Me and my shinny new MM210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my shinny new MM210

Well she arrived day before yesterday and good lord is it a nice machine. I had no idea it was so big. Those pictures sure make it look smaller. Now that its here I feel somewhat intimidated by all the things one needs to remember. Wires here... hoses there ... spools, etc. For the most part it all seems manageable however the deal with the 200/230 power option has me confused. Electrical is NOT my thing. The video talked about the jumper switches or something like that. It mentioned they can be moved. First off why would I need to .. when would I need and what difference would it make? Is this something I need to change back and forth?

Thanks for your help.
    MM210 w/3035
    Next up - Sync 200

SoCalTA,
    Don't be intimidated the MM 210 is pretty easy to work with. The linking they are talking about would be if your power from the wall was 200 or 208 instead of 230. In this case the unit should be relinked to the 200/208 voltage tap for optimal performance.

If the unit is operated on 200 or 208 vac input and is linked for 230 volts you will not be able to get full weld output from the machine. If the opposite is done operating on 230 volts with the link set for 200 volts the unit would run very hot and you would struggle on thin material.

Enjoy your new machine.

Kevin
    [email protected]
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

hmmmm .. so what do I pick? I just have a regular house and I need to have the electrician come out and wire me a new outlet.
      MM210 w/3035
      Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Mine is set up for 230 volts, this is the factory setting. Look at it like this, 2 seperate legs of 110 volts=220 volts. This is the typical. Most household dryers are 230 volt. I should have a 230 volt 50 amp plug installed on the machine. Weld well

Comment

Most, if not all homes are 230 volts + -. The 200/208 is a result of pulling single phase from three phase 230 volts, which you will only find in a plant, shop, factory etc. Because you aren't using all three phases, the average voltage slumps somewhat. The actual voltages on ac are actually considerably higher ie 40%, but because it alternates between + and - 60 times a second, it drops to zero volts 60 times per second, and the 110, 220/230 numbers are actually just an average. Most meters are designed to measure these averages. Hopefully I haven't confused you too much.

RWG

Comment

Thanks guys. It seems from all the good information and responses that I will just leave the jumpers as is and have my electrician come out and set me up with an outlet to handle the plug.
            MM210 w/3035
            Next up - Sync 200

Comment

Get that done so you can have some fun. You're gonna love it. Weld well.

Comment

Originally posted by richwrenchguy
                Most, if not all homes are 230 volts + -. The 200/208 is a result of pulling single phase from three phase 230 volts, which you will only find in a plant, shop, factory etc. Because you aren't using all three phases, the average voltage slumps somewhat. The actual voltages on ac are actually considerably higher ie 40%, but because it alternates between + and - 60 times a second, it drops to zero volts 60 times per second, and the 110, 220/230 numbers are actually just an average. Most meters are designed to measure these averages. Hopefully I haven't confused you too much.

RWG
                OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT INTERESTING.

That's where true rms AC measurement is handy. Fluke is the Miller of the DMM and precison test instrument manufacturers.

Comment

Your House, if it's in the USA or Canada has 120/240 single phase electrical service, unless something else was specified ( Not likely )208 VAC three phase is stricty industrial and marine. The idea with 208 is that you can measure between any of the 3 "Hot" legs and the neutral and have 120 VAC. 208 is also a "4 Wire" three phase system.

110 / 220 is generally the old 50 hertz voltages, 120 / 240 is generally the 60 hertz voltages.

Comment

Working...
                  X