325 efi Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 325 efi Issues

I just purchased a new 325 efi with Excel power and was wondering if the issues with overheating have been resolved. I would like to know if the fuel caps still need to be vented too. The Miller webpage has raised another question with me, do the efi models need the optional electric fuel pump for high altitude use or do they come with one? Any advice is hugely appreciated, Thanks.

Well its almost winter, so the high heat isn't the issue. The issue now if your in the really cold enviroments is the rear electric tank vent, and the throttle encoder freezing. I have designed a custom cover for those issues.

Comment

If anyone has welded pipe with one, I'd like to hear about it. I'd like to know how the arc performs as compared to my Vantage. I'm not an electritian but I was told the old 302 was like a 305, an inverter. But the the 325 is made with different tech and supposedly doesn't have as smooth of arc.

Comment

Your killin me, the Ranger performs the same way as the Vantage, Both are not inverters though both use IGBTs in Pipemode/gouge mode, so sort of a hybrid. Now the Miller 302 DOES NOT COMPARE weld wise to a Lincoln 305, nor Vantage. They do compare to a 325 and Pro350. However the Lincoln Ranger may be somewhat more robust than the 325 as it runs 2 IGBT's (high speed switch), than the 325's single unit. The 325's also have a problem of running too rich, seems to be solved by loading it so that its really hot, then resetting the ECM.

The 325 is quiet, as the muffler is extended because the engine is reversed,also has a built in inverter for auxillary. (Ecell power) handy, but you can put an inverter into any machine and have it do the same thing. Also you cannot put the 325 behind your cab, (can't change your oil), nor is it easily adjustable should the RPM drop after break in.

Every machine has quirks, as I have the time to bring a new unit in, strip it, and discover how its going to fail. Doesn't matter to me the brand.

The Rangers use the same EFI engine, though no pesky encoder that the Miller uses

Now Vantages and Rangers seem to come out of the factory with built in quirks. I think its so the repair facilitys can get more work, or employee turnover in thier factorys. The problems are pronounced, and quite simple to repair, now that I've seen lots and reported the problems to all techs.

Comment

I'm not trying to spread rumours or cause you grief, I'm just curious what the similarities and differences are. I just like to know how things work and I appreciate all the information and advice you are giving. Can you explain to me what the IGBT units do?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlin444 View Post
            I'm not trying to spread rumours or cause you grief, I'm just curious what the similarities and differences are. I just like to know how things work and I appreciate all the information and advice you are giving. Can you explain to me what the IGBT units do?
            You really have to try them both, as I said the Miller Tig program is fantastic, the Lincoln not so much. Both will run 1/4" all day providing they are tuned corect, unfortunately most techs don't have a clue about that.

The igbts are switching on and off 20K times a second Makes dc to ac, to dc, and back and forth. This forms the engineered output wave form. The Lincoln has somewhat more control. both will need at least a 1/0 stinger whip for the Miller inductance or Lincoln arc control to work properly. Again few techs have a clue about that either.

Comment

While your busy spilling all your secrets, can you tell me why on the Miller web site it says the 325D has [email protected] amps and the gas one only has 28V? Is this a horsepower issue or marketing hype, I would've thought they used the same components save the engine.

Comment

Now that you mention it, I always ran as light a stinger as I could. About 25' of #2 while doing pipeline straight to the machine and about 12' of #1 off the end of my 2/0 while fabbing. Looks like I was shooting myself in the foot.

Comment

More of marketing hype, both units must do [email protected] amps DC thats a Lincoln / Miller plus rating, and must do the nema 32V at 300Amps DC. After that who cares. Now the 325 Diesel is set up just like the 302D, with the same electronics of the 325 Gasser.

And yes on the above post as arc control would never have worked, though the machine was likely running too fast anyways, So wouldn't of mattered what you did. See on a Vantage, it must bee dialed in at 61.6hz, the normal has been 64 hz, no way it could ever be calibrated to data plate specs at that, so many techs just fake it. Many techs, even the ones I go to tech school with simply don't have a clue about engineered wave specs, or how to arrive at them. I adjusted machines at Lincoln, as thier techs apparently don't have a clue either. Likely something to do with employee turn over..

Dial a machine down, line up the wave forms, bingo, oodles more power, it AIN'T MAGIC guys.

However now you can correct that situation.
                  Last edited by cruizer; 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

When I get this new Miller do I have to get it calibrated to 61.9 hertz? Just to make sure I understand, I'll be good with a 1/0 stinger cable?

Comment

Sorry, I meant 61.6

Comment

Sorry, I meant 61.6
                        No, that machine is set at 60hz, and there in lies the problem, once the engine wears in, the speed tends to drop, ie, there is a Throttle position sensor thats supposed to stop that from happening, but it doesn't. Strike and arc and the Rpm drops a little too far. Will, not run 1/4", engine has no place to go. engine shouldn't have to load up to push the rod. There is no cure that I know of.

Comment

Well, that's a little discouraging to hear. Hopefully there will be a cure soon. I don't really go out of my way to burn 1/4" but it's nice to be able to on larger diameter pipe.

Comment

Well, that's a little discouraging to hear. Hopefully there will be a cure soon. I don't really go out of my way to burn 1/4" but it's nice to be able to on larger diameter pipe.
                            It's not that it won't run it, the weld will just be cold. and the engine doesn't care for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X