newbie with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie with questions

Hi everyone I just picked up an old miller model 250 ac / dc-hf tig-metallic arc welder. Everything seems to work good except for when it comes to breaking the arc. When i let off the finger control it continues to weld almost like the scratch start doesn't shut off when hf is on. If i dont have a ground it shuts off but with a ground it just keeps welding. Plus the tungsten is always hot even without the finger control engaged, is that the way this old machine operates i wouldn't think so. Then again I really dont know I've never used a welder this old. Also would anyone happen to have an owners manual for this dinosaur serial number 70-5463-66? Any and all help will be much appreciated
    Thanks Rob Demattio

Originally posted by rob 5711 View Post
    Hi everyone I just picked up an old miller model 250 ac / dc-hf tig-metallic arc welder. Everything seems to work good except for when it comes to breaking the arc. When i let off the finger control it continues to weld almost like the scratch start doesn't shut off when hf is on. If i dont have a ground it shuts off but with a ground it just keeps welding. Plus the tungsten is always hot even without the finger control engaged, is that the way this old machine operates i wouldn't think so. Then again I really dont know I've never used a welder this old. Also would anyone happen to have an owners manual for this dinosaur serial number 70-5463-66? Any and all help will be much appreciated
    Thanks Rob Demattio
    The owners manual can be downloaded from the resources section found on the bar on the top of this page called resources.

Your machine may have 2t and 4t settings. I think if it is in 4t it takes two clicks of the button for each motion as opposed to just holding the switch down. Or the switch could be broken. Or your machine is set to panel.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800