180 autoset pipping and splatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180 autoset pipping and splatter

I have always had splatter with this welder, nozzle clogging up. But recently took my welder to jobsite to weld up steel table. The welds at the jobsite were poor and there was a lot of popping and platter. The welds continued to be popping and poor after I connected it at home. I Recently moved into my new new shop and continue to have poor welds.The power where I live is 220v. Also wondering if there is a different internal connection for this lower voltage? I have work piling up and no useable welder. Wondering if anyone has run into this problem? And found a solution. Thanks in advance for your help
    Last edited by gulchroad; 09-28-2014, 09:07 AM.

This welder only runs on 220v. Don't understand what lower voltage your talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by gulchroad View Post
      I have always had splatter with this welder, nozzle clogging up. But recently took my welder to jobsite to weld up steel table. The welds at the jobsite were poor and there was a lot of popping and platter. The welds continued to be popping and poor after I connected it at home. I Recently moved into my new new shop and continue to have poor welds.The power where I live is 220v. Also wondering if there is a different internal connection for this lower voltage? I have work piling up and no useable welder. Wondering if anyone has run into this problem? And found a solution. Thanks in advance for your help
      Maybe a bad ground/work connection,,, wire brush the clamp and check all connections...

may also be a pulled or damaged conductor/conduit in the gun from dragging by the gun...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Replace the crappy ground clamp.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
          Maybe a bad ground/work connection,,, wire brush the clamp and check all connections...

may also be a pulled or damaged conductor/conduit in the gun from dragging by the gun...
          I replaced the ground clamp with what i thought was a copper plated one a while back, but looks like a brass one. Ill look into replacing gun cable assembly.
          I also noticed the gun cable gets warm after welding for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
            This welder only runs on 220v. Don't understand what lower voltage your talking about.
            220v instead of 240v. But that won't make a difference for the OP.
            Ed Conley
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
            TA185
            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
            O/A set
            SO 2020 Bender
            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Can you give us more details:

Wire size, CFH gas flow setting

Does it perform poorly when NOT on Auto Set?
              Ed Conley
              MM252
              MM211
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Correct Polarity ????

Originally posted by gulchroad View Post
                Are you running hard wire or flux - core ?
                Do you have the machine set correctly ( polarity ) for the wire you're using ?

Norm
                www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi all,
                  Changed the liner, tip, nozzle and switched to Lincoln wire from Home depot. (heard from someone on internet it was good) Welder running ok now.
                  Anyone out there have a recommendation for the best wire for this welder?

Using .030 hard wire, gas 25psi.(on regulator dial) with trigger pulled. C25 gas, polarity good.

Also, had issues year ago with weld quality using auto set. so i started using manual setting, which worked fine. until yesterday. but today all good.

The voltage at my shop power panel is 209VAC. I'm using 8 gauge wire to connect welder. The welder says 230V on back. not sure if the welder would run with less splatter if i used a boost transformer to bump up voltage to 230V.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

It's possible that low voltage supply can affect the 180 but I would find a solid 230-240v supply somewhere and test it before spending money on a Boost Transformer.

The liner could have had a burr/dirt in it.

Drive Roll tension could have been set incorrectly allowing the wire to slip.
                    Ed Conley
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

What voltage do you get on each hot leg?

Comment

Working...
                      X