Removing galvanization from steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing galvanization from steel

I wanted to know if anyone knew of an 'easy' way to remove galvanization from mild steel. I've been welding handrails on a highway overpass, and for obvious reasons I need the galv removed. Standard grinding disks gum up or just spread it around, and I don't want to risk removing too much of the base metal grinding since it's only 1/8" to begin with. The handrails are 'hot dipped' so there's quite a lot of galvanization. Even the smallest amount gives me pin holes and porosity. I'm currently using a 7018 stick rod.

I stick weld galvanized metals frequently. Some of it is dipped and some is zinc painted.
    I prefer to use a pencil grinder aka die grinder with a ginding burr on it to remove as much galvanize as I can. Run your machine hot. Remove as much galvanize as you can and you shouldn't have any issues.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

I prefer to use 6010. I think it does a more aggressive job on the galvanizing.

Comment

Try some of the grinding wheels designed for aluminum. They break off quicker and stay cleaner when doing heavy galvy. Of course if you go laying into the steel real hard and heavy they won't last long but they do a whole lot better than the ones for steel as far as the gumming up.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
          I prefer to use 6010. I think it does a more aggressive job on the galvanizing.
          That would be great if I could. However, QC wont let me use 6010 on structural steel. It's 7018 only.
          Lincoln Idealarc 250
          Miller Bobcat 250
          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Can you burn it off with a torch? A fan at your back would be a necessity. Maybe some test runs to make sure you can do it without getting the steel too hot. I grind, but it's a PITA and slow.

Comment

we ran a 6" fire line on a diamond drilling ship in atlantic marine in mobile the pipe was galvanized we beveled the ends and grinded atleast a 1/16 off the pipe about an inch back from bevel welded like regular pipe after that.do the same on anything i weld galvanized i grind it down atleast a 1/16 and tha ussually takes care of it

Comment

Working...
              X