• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cruizer
    replied
    [QUOTE=Etonic;324127]
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Every rig welder, I've spoke to say 4 years max in McMurray for major building, rest will be maintenance. I've got around 700 rig welders on my cutomer list. Then the SASk Move....[/QUOTE/] Is there a reason that everything might be moving to sask?
    Draining of lakes to get at the tar sands, then building the separators and refinerys. Northern Sask has more tar sands than Alberta....

Leave a comment:

• Etonic
    replied
    [QUOTE=cruizer;324104]Every rig welder, I've spoke to say 4 years max in McMurray for major building, rest will be maintenance. I've got around 700 rig welders on my cutomer list. Then the SASk Move....[/QUOTE/] Is there a reason that everything might be moving to sask?

Leave a comment:

• Etonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Nathan128 View Post
    You said oyap program so I'm assuming your Ontario too. There is lots of good paying welding jobs here too. Look into the pipe fitter union halls and the boilermakers. The union halls are about the only ones giving out apprenticeships here in Ontario. I had a similar start to you.
    Yeah, im near toronto, im not looking to get into pipefitting, if i go to alberta i'll do pipefitting there but when i came back i want to be a steel erector

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
    If everyone in North America continues to pay $1.30/L and $3.50/gallon, things will carry on just as they are, in Alberta and in Sask.
    Every rig welder, I've spoke to say 4 years max in McMurray for major building, rest will be maintenance. I've got around 700 rig welders on my cutomer list. Then the SASk Move....

Leave a comment:

• Nathan128
    replied
    welding in fort mcmurray

You said oyap program so I'm assuming your Ontario too. There is lots of good paying welding jobs here too. Look into the pipe fitter union halls and the boilermakers. The union halls are about the only ones giving out apprenticeships here in Ontario. I had a similar start to you.

Leave a comment:

• snoeproe
    replied
    Its not going to last in McMurray anyways, everything in 3-4 years will shift to Sask....
    If everyone in North America continues to pay $1.30/L and $3.50/gallon, things will carry on just as they are, in Alberta and in Sask.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    still a circle....

Sorry, 3 years plus apprentiship, , think I'd know that. Must be the Alzhiemers kicking in. I make $55/hr running a Excavator in the summer, thats why I suggested it. Yes it is boring, only can spin around so many times before you want to go insane money or not.
    spin around in a circle in a nice heated or air ac machine cab. Or weld a bunch of circles in a bottom of a wet cold hole? Which circle would you choose when your 50? I did both i choose to be a mechanic no circles needed.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    not in chicago...

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
    There is some misleading information being given out in this thread.
    I'm a union structural welder and I have been working in the Ft Mac oil sands for some time now. There is a lot of work available. Get your red seal journeyman ticket first. Then you need the B pressure ticket if you want to weld pressure pipe or your CWB ticket if you want to weld structural. A Union B pressure welder only makes a couple dollars per hour more then a CWB structural welder. There is more stress welding pipe. Must pass X-ray etc.
    A welding apprenticeship is only a 3 yr apprenticeship. Not a 4 yr apprenticeship.
    The cost of living in Ft Mac is insane. A mobile trailer home will cost you $400 000. A nice split level home in the new part of town will set you back 1 million. I couldn't afford to live there myself. Nor would I want to. I stick to the camp jobs with flights.
    No heavy equipment operator is making more $ than a welder in the union construction industry. If you work directly for one of the big oil companies then yes, you will bring in more money.
    The union electrician welders are the highest paid welders in the construction industry. They also have the easiest job, welding unistrut, Chanel for cable tray hangers, ground tabs on piles etc. They have CWB ticket
    Per hr local 150 mechanics make more than any 597 pipefitters fyi the people who weld pipe. I only work for one of the largest gas line distribution companies. However this is chicago illinois.
    kevin

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Sorry, 3 years plus apprentiship, , think I'd know that. Must be the Alzhiemers kicking in. I make $55/hr running a Excavator in the summer, thats why I suggested it. Yes it is boring, only can spin around so many times before you want to go insane money or not.

Leave a comment:

• Etonic
    replied
    Thanks for all the advice, i defiently still want to be a welder, i guess i need to look in to getting my redseal and a few other certificates before i move out west. I love operating heavy machinery, but i think i'd get bored way to fast to make a career of it. I'll just worry about coop and getting into college for now

Leave a comment:

• snoeproe
    replied
    There is some misleading information being given out in this thread.
    I'm a union structural welder and I have been working in the Ft Mac oil sands for some time now. There is a lot of work available. Get your red seal journeyman ticket first. Then you need the B pressure ticket if you want to weld pressure pipe or your CWB ticket if you want to weld structural. A Union B pressure welder only makes a couple dollars per hour more then a CWB structural welder. There is more stress welding pipe. Must pass X-ray etc.
    A welding apprenticeship is only a 3 yr apprenticeship. Not a 4 yr apprenticeship.
    The cost of living in Ft Mac is insane. A mobile trailer home will cost you $400 000. A nice split level home in the new part of town will set you back 1 million. I couldn't afford to live there myself. Nor would I want to. I stick to the camp jobs with flights.
    No heavy equipment operator is making more $ than a welder in the union construction industry. If you work directly for one of the big oil companies then yes, you will bring in more money.
    The union electrician welders are the highest paid welders in the construction industry. They also have the easiest job, welding unistrut, Chanel for cable tray hangers, ground tabs on piles etc. They have CWB ticket
    Last edited by snoeproe; 09-22-2014, 10:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhinox View Post
    how much you get paid in the 150 master mechanic? if you dont mind me asking...
    just for reference..
    Not going to answer that question in an open forum, and i suggest you worry about getting into a shop first. If you start with pay right away its not likely you will get hired, getting your foot in the door is your first step. I make very good money, i work 50 weeks a year, and an average week is 50 plus hours with many 60-70 hrs weeks mixed in. My local is out northern illinois, we incompass 3 states. I really cant stress enough how important it is to be willing to take a job first with pay not being an issue, if you go into a dealership and dont have a work first attitude you will not get hired.

Leave a comment:

• Rhinox
    replied
    welding in fort mcmurray

how much you get paid in the 150 master mechanic? if you dont mind me asking...
    just for reference..

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    hes right...

You have to Apprentise then go to school for 3 months, for 4 years, then write for your journeyman, then write for your Red seal. There are no easy answers.

Realistially, at your age, I'd foego the welding, and take a heavy equipment course. Extremely high demand, and pay is better than welding. Plus your not freezing your azz off in the winter, nor baking in saftey coveralls in the summer.
    Im a local 150 master mechanic, i make more than the 597 pipefitters...ie welders. However we still work in the winter. Who do u think starts the machinery when its sub zero? My advice would be to find a heavy equipment dealership and work to get a job in the shop. Start sweeping the floors and stick around, let them kniw you want to be a mechanic. We are in high demand, just dont waste your money on a tech school, you will end up in the same place you are now.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Its not going to last in McMurray anyways, everything in 3-4 years will shift to Sask....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X