Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller-Matic 350 and Dynasty 350 issues

Howdy folks, forum newbie here.

I have intermediate welding skills and am good with electrical circuits, good with trouble shooting and following given advice and/or instructions.

I've run into a pair of problems.

Both of my welders have working for 8 years on 3 phase w/o any issues.

I recently moved and now have single phase 248V at my new shop. (yea, odd 248 V and each leg is 124V)

----------------
    First issue:

My Millermatic 350 gives me a Help 7 code when I fire it up.
    Code 7 reads:
    Indicates input voltage malfunction (voltage
    too high or too low) causing unit to
    automatically shut down. Turn off input
    primary power and check input voltage per
    primary voltage rating of welder. Unit will
    operate once input voltage is within
    specification and power to unit is turned off
    and back on.

I've checked voltage and I'm getting 248V across the main legs and 124 between the main legs and the neutral (which is correct as far as the wiring goes)

I've gone through troubleshooting - the voltage selection is on 230V, not 480.
    So my question is: Is 248V out of range for the 230 setting? Is there some sort of issue running 248V and what can I do about this?

-----------------------

Second issue:

My Dynasty 350 fires right up on the same 248V single phase circuit that makes the MIG mad. No issues as far as turning it on and getting any sort of error. BUT, when I tried to lay a test bead, it acts as if the polarity is reversed. The arc was a funky yellow and the electrode melted to a nice round ball almost instantly. - sort of like when I used to set up TIG welding with an older unit (can't recall what it was 280? maybe?). I remember being taught to reverse polarity to make the tungsten a round ball and then reversing the polarity again to weld.

I'm 90% sure it's a setting on the Dynasty that I'm just overlooking, so a heads up on this would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.

That's the same voltage we have here in my neck of the woods.
    Everything is fine.
    Hopefully you'll get it figured out soon.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by K-fab View Post
      Howdy folks, forum newbie here.

I have intermediate welding skills and am good with electrical circuits, good with trouble shooting and following given advice and/or instructions.

I've run into a pair of problems.

Both of my welders have working for 8 years on 3 phase w/o any issues.

I recently moved and now have single phase 248V at my new shop. (yea, odd 248 V and each leg is 124V)

----------------
      First issue:

My Millermatic 350 gives me a Help 7 code when I fire it up.
      Code 7 reads:
      Indicates input voltage malfunction (voltage
      too high or too low) causing unit to
      automatically shut down. Turn off input
      primary power and check input voltage per
      primary voltage rating of welder. Unit will
      operate once input voltage is within
      specification and power to unit is turned off
      and back on.

I've checked voltage and I'm getting 248V across the main legs and 124 between the main legs and the neutral (which is correct as far as the wiring goes)

I've gone through troubleshooting - the voltage selection is on 230V, not 480.
      So my question is: Is 248V out of range for the 230 setting? Is there some sort of issue running 248V and what can I do about this?

-----------------------

Second issue:

My Dynasty 350 fires right up on the same 248V single phase circuit that makes the MIG mad. No issues as far as turning it on and getting any sort of error. BUT, when I tried to lay a test bead, it acts as if the polarity is reversed. The arc was a funky yellow and the electrode melted to a nice round ball almost instantly. - sort of like when I used to set up TIG welding with an older unit (can't recall what it was 280? maybe?). I remember being taught to reverse polarity to make the tungsten a round ball and then reversing the polarity again to weld.

I'm 90% sure it's a setting on the Dynasty that I'm just overlooking, so a heads up on this would be great.

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction.
      No problem with the stated line voltages. it is very common for the actual voltage to be different than the nominal service voltage.

Griff

Comment

I had the same problem. The machine comes set for 3 phase. You will have to open the right hand side panel at the bottom and change the voltage setup. It is no big deal. Unscrew 4 little screws unplug wire and move the board plug back in, close it and you are good to go...It will then read 240V or something like that...Regards, Danl

Comment

Working...
        X