Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JSFAB
    replied
    The original question had to do with production MIG welding, not portable welding off a truck. Big difference.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Body Bagger, Based on your calculations I'm losing about 20 hr when I send my guy out in the truck and we charge 80.00 hr with a 2 hr min.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    40 an hr for your own rig is extremely cheap. Who supplies insurance and fuel? Doller a mile is very cheap also. Should be at least 1.75. Here the rates are 3-3.75 mile with labor 97-150hr.
    I'd make good money if I found a guy to do that because I can't drive my own truck that cheap before a single tool ever gets on it...

Sample 5 year ownership cost per mile for a 3/4 ton diesel.
    Fuel $4 per gallon ÷ 12mpg = 33¢/mile
    Insurance $85 per month ÷ 1000 miles a month= 8.5¢/mile
    Tires $600 every 24k miles =2.5¢/mile
    Oil $65 per 5k=1.3¢/mile
    Financial cost (payments or depreciation) 692.88 per month (35k principal at 6.99%) =69.3¢ per mile
    Repair and scheduled maintenance, 1000 per year/12k miles per year=8.3¢/mile
    Property taxes, 2% of midpoint value (35k/2) 350 annually, at 12k miles per year=2.9¢/mile
    Tags, fees, motor vehicle inspection 100 per year=0.8¢ per mile

Total=$1.27 per mile

So unless you're getting fuel for free, running tires until they're bald, driving without insurance, or you're driving an Isuzu Pup, you're losing 27 cents per mile. And that's not counting that your vehicle reimbursement is probably being taxed as wages on your W2 (which would mean you're not even seeing that whole dollar). The picture is much worse if you're driving a 1 ton truck.

Ninety percent of small businesses fail in the first 5 years. A major cause is the gross underestimation of operating costs. I would say another major cause is the large number of folks out there low-balling work that starve out guys who charge a fair rate that adequately covers their true costs of doing business. You can't compete with somebody that's working at a loss.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    Originally posted by tommy2069 View Post
    down here starting pay for a welder is 20.00 an hour all the way up to 35.00 an hour. the average shop welder will get 20.00 to 25.00 an hour . right now i am working for a small company their pay is 20.00 an hour not hard work at all . it's a 45 hours a week job weekends off if you want it or you can come out and work a few hours on the week end. i also do road jobs for the same company because i'm the only one with a welding truck. they pay me 40.00 an hour and 1.00 a mile. i make really good money when the boats are in venice la, because it's a 4 hour drive one way and it's about 400+ miles round trip so for a road job to venice i
    ll make anywheres from 900 to 1500 a day. they supply the wire and most times the oxygen and propane or acyteline and also shielding gas.
    40 an hr for your own rig is extremely cheap. Who supplies insurance and fuel? Doller a mile is very cheap also. Should be at least 1.75. Here the rates are 3-3.75 mile with labor 97-150hr.

Leave a comment:

• tommy2069
    replied
    down here starting pay for a welder is 20.00 an hour all the way up to 35.00 an hour. the average shop welder will get 20.00 to 25.00 an hour . right now i am working for a small company their pay is 20.00 an hour not hard work at all . it's a 45 hours a week job weekends off if you want it or you can come out and work a few hours on the week end. i also do road jobs for the same company because i'm the only one with a welding truck. they pay me 40.00 an hour and 1.00 a mile. i make really good money when the boats are in venice la, because it's a 4 hour drive one way and it's about 400+ miles round trip so for a road job to venice i
    ll make anywheres from 900 to 1500 a day. they supply the wire and most times the oxygen and propane or acyteline and also shielding gas.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Wow, Wow, Wow, Bodybagger, You hit the nail on the head, don't forget the officers who pull you over because they know they can make money from company trucks.

I have to rebuild a steel balcony in Ann Arbor that is 4'-6" x 10' that is 4' off the ground, I have to have sealed engineered drawings ( That's $ 500.00 ) I have to renew my whatever you want to call it to work in the city of Ann Arbor $ 25.00, This big project has to go to Plan review which cost $ 140.00 and wait 3 weeks for approval, then after that's approved the permit is $ 190.00.

So I have $ 855.00 wrapped up in this 2 day to build and 1 day to install job above and beyond the cost of material and labor.

If this job was done in rural Kentucky it would be a $ 30.00 permit.

I have to bid jobs low to get them because the cities require a big cut, Then I have to provide health care to my employee which doesn't leave much to pay them or me a paycheck at the end of the week.

There's way to many white collar people getting paid big bucks that don't actually do anything but cause us worker bees a lot of grief.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    That said, on a lighter note... you could make anywhere from 9-22 dollars an hour according to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojFZ__4t7ck

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    When we met the OSHA man recently for what was essentially a federal government shakedown to obtain $4,000 from us because our guys were caught without safety glasses while putting construction waste into a dumpster, he said they are issuing more fines to small businesses because factories are getting sparse. This is the same agency that fined us $700 for not having an MSDS book for gasoline next to a 5 gallon gas can because, heaven forbid if it caught on fire, nobody would be able to reach through the flames and grab that book and read up on how to put out a gas fire.

Guys, for the few manufacturing places brave (or foolish) enough to remain within the jurisdiction of America's strongarm agencies, by the time they pay for OSHA "compliance" and fines, EPA "compliance" and fines, permits, licenses, insurance, Worker's Comp, B&O taxes, real estate taxes, equipment taxes, inventory taxes, lawyers, lawsuits, and an accounting staff specifically to figure out how big this week's checks to the government are going to be, they've only got so much left over once they deliver their product - and the IRS is going to shake down 36% of that. You know what that leaves you with?

About twelve bucks an hour.

It's incredibly simple-minded and naive to think it's "just the fact'ry gettin' the better over ya." It's the price that's incorporated into every aspect of our lives to cover the purported guarantee of clean air, clean water, safe workplaces, equal rights, protection from crime, new multi-million dollar consolidated schools, a social safety net for those who choose to have 9 kids by six different fathers rather than work.

If those perks aren't worth the paycut, I'm sure they're hiring MIG operators in Shenzhen.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    a world without unions.....

Originally posted by coxey2 View Post
    I'm in western Ky and the factories pay lower wages now (2014) for production mig welders than they did in 2000. One trailer manufacturer now pays 12.00/hr or there about, and an auto suspension/chassis factory which makes parts for BMW, GM, Ford and others pays 13.00 and change. Both of these factories paid about 2-3 dollars more per hour back in 2000. ( I know because I was involved in training for them). They now have new owners or so they say with different names.They also like to use temporary agencies but don't hire the temps full time on any large scale . What are we to make of this economy and policies that foster and encourage these employment practices?
    this is what happens when america has less then 5 percent union labor left. Work union live bettar.

Leave a comment:

• Rhinox
    replied
    Pay scale for producition mig welder poll poll

whats the average pay for a welder (journeyman)
    down there???
    people... looks like everywhere in the world welders getting hit by ...economy?!?
    in my own opinion welders should be pay more for what they do!! without welders what is it going to be done!?!? ....NOTHING(frustrated) loll

Leave a comment:

• tommy2069
    replied
    jeeze thats helpers pay .my helper can't really tack good so most of the time he's on fire watch duty or being my go-fer. he's getting 15.00 an hour.

Leave a comment:

• coxey2
    started a topic Pay scale for producition mig welder poll poll

Pay scale for producition mig welder poll poll

I'm in western Ky and the factories pay lower wages now (2014) for production mig welders than they did in 2000. One trailer manufacturer now pays 12.00/hr or there about, and an auto suspension/chassis factory which makes parts for BMW, GM, Ford and others pays 13.00 and change. Both of these factories paid about 2-3 dollars more per hour back in 2000. ( I know because I was involved in training for them). They now have new owners or so they say with different names.They also like to use temporary agencies but don't hire the temps full time on any large scale . What are we to make of this economy and policies that foster and encourage these employment practices?
Working...
X