Using a table saw top as a welding table -Electrical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a table saw top as a welding table -Electrical Question

I have very limited space in my little garage.

I have a Delta shaper (very similar to the Unisaw table saw) on a rolling cart. I also have a nice cast iron top from another machine that I can put on top of the Delta top to use as a welding table. This top will protect the Delta top from damage.

I read up on the use of machine tops for welding tables but I did not find my answer.

Will using a machine top as a welding table destroy the motor and circuits if I want to use the shaper in the future? I have a 211 mig welder. I am thinking that current going through the ground attached to the table may fry something useful.

I haven't had any issues with my Uni-saw... I attach the ground to the work, not the table (except for small parts, I have a 10"x10"x1/2" piece of steel I clamp to the top). I use both my TIG and MIG on it. Just purchased a folding Miller ArcStation.
    Glen
    Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Comment

no problem as long as the shaper is disconnected, keep the switch off and the plug away from possible electrification from the weld circuit.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

As long as you have the work ground from the welder connected to it then its fine. If the work lead was connected to another electrically grounded bench and you struck an arc it may travel thru the equipment grounding conductor. In a small shop it would be pretty rare unless you were working on 2 machines and forgot to move the ground. Unplugging it if there was this potential would isolate the issue.

Comment

As simple as it gets is you want to avoid an alternate pathway for welding currents, especially small ground wires found in cords.

Comment

Follow up question...

...would it be best to make sure the shaper is UNPLUGGED?
              MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
              Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by Doughboyracer View Post
                ...would it be best to make sure the shaper is UNPLUGGED?
                Post #3: no problem as long as the shaper is disconnected, keep the switch off and the plug away from possible electrification from the weld circuit.

Comment

Working...
                X