Syncrowave 350 HF Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 350 HF Issue

Hi, I have a Syncrowave 350 that I traded for a year ago, when i first got it I welded mild steel and some stainless with it and it welded fine. However I just tried to weld aluminum with it and I had some interesting problems.It seems that when I switch the HF to continuous it just stays on. I get little arcs everywhere if the pedal is down or not. I can see and hear arcing inside the welder also?I tried disconnecting the pedal to see if that changed anything and it did not.Any Ideas or suggestions would be great, Thank you alot!!

Haven't you read the posts????? Being techs, WE NEED THE SERIAL #, or we can't do anything for you!

Comment

Ok, sorry. i will post when I get home Friday. Thanks !!

Comment

Originally posted by WMG893 View Post
        Hi, I have a Syncrowave 350 that I traded for a year ago, when i first got it I welded mild steel and some stainless with it and it welded fine. However I just tried to weld aluminum with it and I had some interesting problems.It seems that when I switch the HF to continuous it just stays on. I get little arcs everywhere if the pedal is down or not. I can see and hear arcing inside the welder also?I tried disconnecting the pedal to see if that changed anything and it did not.Any Ideas or suggestions would be great, Thank you alot!!
        In my TIG class most of the machines are Dynasty 200DXs. But there are a few monster Syncrowaves too. Our instructor said he would like us to spend a couple of sessions with these beasts to get familiar with them, and I'm very happy I did!

Tonight I tried a Syncrowave 351 for TIG welding aluminum. I am pleased to say that I produced very nice beads with this leviathan. I had the current set to 160A. The big Sync must've been yawning

Unlike the 200DX, the HF is on continuously. I too had a few Dr. Frankenstein moments with long unwanted arcs. Also, at the end of the bead I had to deliberately push my heel into the pedal to get the arc to go off. The HF in these machines is created by a spark gap, which is what was used in the very early days of radio. So if you what you are seeing inside the machine is the spark gap, I would think that is OK.

Comment

I had the same issue. I removed the covers and found a wire going to the spark gaps had laid on the chassis of the machine and had worn a hole in the insulation creating some irratic behavior. I repaired the wire and it welds fine now.
          Dynasty 400 wireless
          Coolmate 3.5
          Sw320 speedway
          Ck flex lock 230
          4 victor flow meters
          2 Flametech Duel flowmeters
          2 genuine miller torch buttons
          A$$ loads of tungsten
          XMT 350 CC/CV
          S74DX feeder
          Stick leads from here to China
          A30 Spool gun
          WC24
          Langmuir crossfire hobby table
          Everlast powerplasma 100 w hypertherm torch
          Harris O/A
          Pet raccoon
          I'm just a peckerwood in the boonies with fancy welding equipment

Comment

How is HF Generated?

Originally posted by Arizona Joe View Post
            ..., The HF in these machines is created by a spark gap...
            What I wrote is bothering me a bit because I don't know that for a fact. Can someone out there in Forumland give a definitive answer?

Comment

Working...
            X