Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• day zero....sigh

Hello everyone.

I am about to begin an auto resto and will surely need to weld some things. I have used a cutting torch, oxy actl, but not a Mig. As I understand it you have to heat both parts and flow a bead in overlapping circles and make three passes. Is that right? I realize that this is oversimplification. I expect to join a variety of scraps together until I have the "hang" of it. Any other tips?

Thanks. Have not purchased a MIG yet.

Originally posted by aslbow View Post
    Hello everyone.

I am about to begin an auto resto and will surely need to weld some things. I have used a cutting torch, oxy actl, but not a Mig. As I understand it you have to heat both parts and flow a bead in overlapping circles and make three passes. Is that right? I realize that this is oversimplification. I expect to join a variety of scraps together until I have the "hang" of it. Any other tips?

This is an intro video that will give you a quick MIG overview,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU8Wd...e_gdata_player

PLS tell us more about the project and post some pics...

Here is a good place to start for more MIG knowledge..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/improving-your-skills/mig/

Last edited by H80N; 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

This has the potential to get good...

...Getting my popcorn for this one.
      MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
      Just For Home Projects.

Comment

sure if your restoring a t34 tank

Originally posted by aslbow View Post
        Hello everyone.

if you are doing auto fab....no need for preheat or 3 passes. Maybe if your restoring a t34 tank, but not for sheet metal. You will be spot welding mostly anyhow. Run .030 wire, buy a millermatic 212 and it will be easy. Also buy a sheet metal flanging tool. Sheet metal should not be butt welded.
        kevin
        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
        Ln25
        Miller spectrum 625
        Miller 30a spoolgun
        Wc115a
        Lincoln 210mp
        F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
          .... Sheet metal should not be butt welded....
          kevin

Maybe you do not butt weld it.... but many of the rest of us do...

it is a matter of personal preference, skill and experience..

to each his own....

Here are a few videos on the process...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ng+body+panels
          Last edited by H80N; 09-05-2014, 01:36 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
            Maybe you do not butt weld it.... but many of the rest of us do...

it is a matter of personal preference, skill and experience..

to each his own....

Here are a few videos on the process...

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ng+body+panels
            Lets see I only make my living be able to weld. Butt welding body panels is the worst thing which can be done. Very small sections are ok, but quarters, doors, etc should always be flanged. First it reduces warpage and allows sealant to be used. No manufactor butt welds panels. Butt welding large panels is a lazy body man. Butt welds on body panels is hardly a hard skill to master. Maybe you should look at a video of a rusted out butt welded repair.
            kevin
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

Comment

Lets see I only make my living be able to weld. Butt welding body panels is the worst thing which can be done. Very small sections are ok, but quarters, doors, etc should always be flanged. First it reduces warpage and allows sealant to be used. No manufactor butt welds panels. Butt welding large panels is a lazy body man. Butt welds on body panels is hardly a hard skill to master. Maybe you should look at a video of a rusted out butt welded repair.
              kevin
              You are certainly welcome to your opinions and preferences..

But that will not erase the fact that thousands of people are probably MIG butt welding body panel patches every day..

I myself prefer to TIG weld that type of butt welded patch...

that will not change the fact that there are many folks MIG butt welding sheet metal with excellent results...

To each his or her own...
              Last edited by H80N; 09-05-2014, 05:17 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 200

Comment

I have a body repair shop next door and 95% of sheet metal repair is done with

glue...!!!

a 3M specialty adhesive stronger than welds.

Many new cars these days are "glued together". Even the hood (fiberglass) of recent volvo tractor trailers have a bunch of different materials, plastic steel and fiberglass glued together... Is Welding to become a thing from the past?

I Certainly wouldn't be comfortable on glued bridge but it's just me

Comment

flanged...glued and screwed

Originally posted by snowbird View Post
                  I have a body repair shop next door and 95% of sheet metal repair is done with

glue...!!!

a 3M specialty adhesive stronger than welds.

Many new cars these days are "glued together". Even the hood (fiberglass) of recent volvo tractor trailers have a bunch of different materials, plastic steel and fiberglass glued together... Is Welding to become a thing from the past?

I Certainly wouldn't be comfortable on glued bridge but it's just me

Yup. That glue is awesome. We do chevy cab corners with it. Welded no mater what method you use the rust comes back. Glued seals where welds rust. Actually glued two scraps together and tried to seperate them. The metal tore before the glue failed.
                  Kevin
                  Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                  Ln25
                  Miller spectrum 625
                  Miller 30a spoolgun
                  Wc115a
                  Lincoln 210mp
                  F550 imt service truck

Comment

My experience with butt welds with MIG is All is good except distortion or more specifically shrinkage. I'm big on minimizing the size of heat affected zone by tacking, then hitting it quick with clean compressed air. This will have a hardening effect. Take steps to minimize the length of welds. I know a guy, a real professional who uses exclusively TIG to replace rusted out panels. he keeps the replacement as small as possible, and uses hammer and dolly to stretch the weld so it lays at correct shape. He has an air hammer on what looks like a big homemade C clamp to hammer welded seams spreading them.

I've read of using silicone bronze or better still aluminum bronze as it requires less heat. Aluminum bronze is stronger, but still not as strong as steel.
                    Dynasty 280DX
                    Bobcat 250
                    MM252
                    Spool gun
                    Twentieth Century 295
                    Twentieth Century 295 AC
                    Marquette spot welder
                    Smith torches

Comment

Yup. That glue is awesome. We do chevy cab corners with it. Welded no mater what method you use the rust comes back. Glued seals where welds rust. Actually glued two scraps together and tried to seperate them. The metal tore before the glue failed.
                      Kevin
                      Where do you get this glue ?

Norm
                      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
                        Where do you get this glue ?

Norm
                        Any and most auto parts in canada that sells body work materials, it's made by 3M, lock-tite prematex, devcon etc...regular users buy it in tubes like caulking exept it's a "double barrel gun" and twin tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrGJ_D4CWg

Comment

When I made ambulance doors the outer skin was bonded to the inner frame with "Lord's" brand glue.
                          It was a double barrel-two part product that came out of a single nozzle that you could see thru and watch it mix together.
                          It you made a mistake and had to take it apart you needed to decide which part you needed to save, because you had to destroy one to save the other.... The glue was simply that strong.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                            When I made ambulance doors the outer skin was bonded to the inner frame with "Lord's" brand glue.
                            It was a double barrel-two part product that came out of a single nozzle that you could see thru and watch it mix together.
                            It you made a mistake and had to take it apart you needed to decide which part you needed to save, because you had to destroy one to save the other.... The glue was simply that strong.
                            Anybody want to buy a half dozen welders? I'm getting some glue!
                            Dynasty 280DX
                            Bobcat 250
                            MM252
                            Spool gun
                            Twentieth Century 295
                            Twentieth Century 295 AC
                            Marquette spot welder
                            Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by WillieB View Post
                              Anybody want to buy a half dozen welders? I'm getting some glue!
                              LoL.
                              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X