Milermatic 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milermatic 200

Hello and thanks for the time. I am trying to clear up some confusion on a purchase I made recently of the above mentioned welder. Can someone tell me at what point in time or at what sequential serial number that the Miller brand of welders were changed internally to the machines of the ITW era. I have been told that these ITW era machines were basically junk when compared to the older style millermatic 200s. My bit of re-search has shown that ITW and Miller did not partner with one another until some point in 1993 so Im assuming everything prior to that was still a decent welder. ( assuming again that the ITW era machines were in fact junk ) I am able to tell when my machine was manufactured from this listing http://www.millerwelds.com/service/s...reference.html but again it does not give the information specifically that I seek.

Originally posted by 1930 View Post
    Hello and thanks for the time. I am trying to clear up some confusion on a purchase I made recently of the above mentioned welder. Can someone tell me at what point in time or at what sequential serial number that the Miller brand of welders were changed internally to the machines of the ITW era. I have been told that these ITW era machines were basically junk when compared to the older style millermatic 200s. My bit of re-search has shown that ITW and Miller did not partner with one another until some point in 1993 so Im assuming everything prior to that was still a decent welder. ( assuming again that the ITW era machines were in fact junk ) I am able to tell when my machine was manufactured from this listing http://www.millerwelds.com/service/s...reference.html but again it does not give the information specifically that I seek.
    I disagree with the premise.....

I have been using welding equipment and Miller specificly since 1968 when I started to learn to weld... during that time I have been lucky enough to extexively own & use a pretty good cross section of their MIG and TIG equipment..
    The technology has changed but the quality has not....

Presently I own a late 80's MM200... and current equipment including a MM350P as well as Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner and Dynasty 200DX .... all are excellent machines...

On the other hand I have seen some of the other well known brands slap their labels on some pretty questionable offshore designed and built equipment... Like Italian Lincoln's, Polish Esab's and Chinese Thermal Arc's just to name a few..

While the Miller stuff is still built in Appleton, Wi..... USA

I could have bought any brand and model but chose to spend it on Miller and have NOT been disappointed.. Sure I am brand loyal.... they have EARNED that loyalty...

BTW... I would not be concerned with which side of some imaginary line your MM200 was manufactured by... all of the MM200's were and are great machines... still highly sought after..

My 2cents worth...
    Last edited by H80N; 09-04-2014, 07:29 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

You bought a good machine- end of discussion

I agree with H80N- ITW acquisition didn't really make Miller start popping out junk.

The MM200 preceded the 250 then came the 251, 252

The older welding machines are just well, older and in general- probably more solid but not all of them are better machines.

Technology does offer benefits but with any change or attempt at improvement you'll get some duds.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Dud is such a nice word for a 250.......I have always used turd.
        200?, awesomeness in a Blue wrapper.

Comment

If it is actually a MM200, doesn't matter if it was pre- or post- ITW. They are all good. It was only when the MM250 was built, that problems started.
          Last edited by JSFAB; 09-04-2014, 05:36 PM.
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Milermatic 200

My grandchildren will be handing down my MM200 to their children and it will still be a superior machine.

Comment

Looking into now purchasing a spool gun for some aluminum welding, asking suggestions over on Garage Journal on best possible gun I have been told..........IIRC it depends on the series (broken by serial number) on those units, if you need an adapter kit/box or not. The modern higher end spool guns 15/30A I believe will work on that unit but need an adapter. Even the original spoolmatic 1,2,3 were dependent on which version of the machine you had, again IIRC. I'd start by seeing which ones will fit direct and then look for a used one. Otherwise the new route is going to be pretty expensive...........

End of quote

According to the Miller website serial number/date chart http://www.millerwelds.com/service/s...reference.html my machine which carries serial number KB 113094 was manufactured at some point in 1991.

I have been offered..........I have a brand new Spoolmate 100 that I got as a rebate from Miller when I bought a new 211. Still in the original box I would like to sell it if you are interested. New they are 250-275. I would take $175 and handle the shipping. I am leaving town tomorrow and will not be back until Friday and could send pictures then if you are interested...........

End of quote

Can someone here help me to decide if this spool gun offered is going to do what I need it to do which is occasional aluminum light duty welding with the possibility at some point to do a bit more with it.

Id like to know if I will indeed need the adapter mentioned, approx cost and part # / availability of that adaptor

Comment

Here is link to the spoolgun compatibility chart...

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/...n-hookup-chart

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                    Here is link to the spoolgun compatibility chart...

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/...n-hookup-chart

Thanks, looking at this chart it would appear that since my machine carries serial # KB 113094
                    Effective with JJ407380 Spoolmatic® 1 (N/A) WC-1A (N/A)
                    Spoolmatic® 3 (N/A) Direct Connect
                    Spoolmatic® 15A
                    Spoolmatic® 30A
                    Spoolmate™ 200 Series
                    WC-24 #137549
                    I would need one of these spoolguns, I was offered a spoolmate 100, in the chart above I do not see a Miller spoolmate 100 as an option.

Is the spoolmate 100 a Spoolmatic 1 and is the retrofit kit unavailable?

Trying to decipher what I am reading here. Do not want to buy a gun I cannot use. What would you suggest as a decent gun that would be compatible with my welder?

Thanks
                    Last edited by 1930; 12-26-2015, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1930 View Post

Is the spoolmate 100 a Spoolmatic 1 and is the retrofit kit unavailable?
                      The Spoolmate 100 is a newer "Hobby Duty" spoolgun... while the Spoolmatic 1 is an older "Industrial Duty" gun

Our resident Spoolmate 100 guru is "AAMETALMASTER"..... maybe he could pipe up on it...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...almaster/about

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Thanks for your help

Comment

I would look for the Spoolmate 200 and run with it. Prob won't find one cheap...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

Ok I see that trying to purchase the stuff to make this work just doesent add up than, thanks
                            Last edited by 1930; 12-27-2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X