Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what size welding tanks on service truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what size welding tanks on service truck?

I'm building myself a flatbed to work off. While on site. I own all k size tanks at the moment. And haul my enclosed trailer everywhere. Trying to park the trailer . What size tanks do you guys with trucks carry . I'll be carrying argon and 75/25. Plus my torch setup. What's recommended .
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Also some pictures would help. I've done a lot of searching on the web for setups and designs.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Miller 130xp
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw

Comment

And. What's the pipe frame rig welders have behind their welders does it have a purpose or is it just to keep the welder from getting banged up.
      Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
      Millermatic 211
      Spoolmate 100
      Miller 130xp
      2. 4-1/2" grinders
      1. 9" grinder
      14" Makita chop saw

Comment

More information needed. What kind of work are you doing??? What kind of truck (weight capacity) do you have? How strong is your back, or do you have a forklift or loader tractor that you can use to remove and install bottles with?

About the frame on pipewelder trucks, mostly just to support an arm or boom to hang out over the pipe, holds the cables and cords and hoses so you don't drive over them. I do mostly equipment repair, and installation in industrial facilities, don't have a need for this. If I am wrong, anybody in the business, feel free to correct me.
        Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

large oxygen. medium actylene

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
          And. What's the pipe frame rig welders have behind their welders does it have a purpose or is it just to keep the welder from getting banged up.
          Large oxy, med actylene, all cylinders go into a locked cabinet, but i have a mechanics truck. Actually got a new one this year. Fyi, dot rules are for all cylinders to be capped during transportation, although i have never seen them check. All shielding gas is medium size cylinders.
          Kevin
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

I own. A 97 dodge ram 3500. I work on tractor trailers on the side of the road. Most my work comes from truckers broken down.
            Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
            Millermatic 211
            Spoolmate 100
            Miller 130xp
            2. 4-1/2" grinders
            1. 9" grinder
            14" Makita chop saw

Comment

My local norco has a loading dock I just back up to. No heavy lifting I just roll them off
              Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
              Millermatic 211
              Spoolmate 100
              Miller 130xp
              2. 4-1/2" grinders
              1. 9" grinder
              14" Makita chop saw

Comment

It really depends on the work you do, How much you use your gas at a given time, How close your work area is to your gas supplier, Are you going to be using big rose buds Etc., Do you have room on your truck and weight capacity to carry big tanks.

If you only go through a couple tanks a year then go small, If you go through the gas in a week then go big.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                  It really depends on the work you do, How much you use your gas at a given time, How close your work area is to your gas supplier, Are you going to be using big rose buds Etc., Do you have room on your truck and weight capacity to carry big tanks.

If you only go through a couple tanks a year then go small, If you go through the gas in a week then go big.
                  What Portable says here is valid. Based on my own experience, you should have a #4 acetylene (standard size), either one or two 125 or so Cubic foot Oxygens. Bigger is better, but you don't have a big enough truck. Having two smaller tanks allows you to go out with an almost empty, and switch over if necessary to a full.

I would look into buying some small shielding gas tanks, 20 or 40 cu. ft. capacity. You probably won't be able to exchange them, like you can with normal tanks, have to send each one in to be refilled, and wait a week or so to get it back. Buy two of each, one is out and one is on your truck. Big advantage, cuts the weight you are carrying way down. Leaves more capacity for carrying tools, parts, and metal, which may be more important.
                  Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83:323553
                    Its called a Hoosier pole and the above definition by JSFAB is spot on.
                    Last edited by fencemaker; 09-04-2014, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                      What Portable says here is valid. Based on my own experience, you should have a #4 acetylene (standard size), either one or two 125 or so Cubic foot Oxygens. Bigger is better, but you don't have a big enough truck. Having two smaller tanks allows you to go out with an almost empty, and switch over if necessary to a full.

I would look into buying some small shielding gas tanks, 20 or 40 cu. ft. capacity. You probably won't be able to exchange them, like you can with normal tanks, have to send each one in to be refilled, and wait a week or so to get it back. Buy two of each, one is out and one is on your truck. Big advantage, cuts the weight you are carrying way down. Leaves more capacity for carrying tools, parts, and metal, which may be more important.
                      I exchange my small tanks that I bought/own just the same as the ones you rent. I don't "send them in to be filled." I have what must be a "U-40" and a "Q"... FYI
                      MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                      Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Depends a lot on your location, and your LWS. Just checked with mine today, they exchange ownership cylinders down to 80 cf. They do on occasion send in smaller oxygen cylinders, for refilling and sending back to the customer. Guy wasn't sure about small shielding gas cylinders. I will check with Airgas and see if they can do it, either filling or exchanging.

Tractor Supply and others are selling them, somebody's got to be filling them.
                        Last edited by JSFAB; 09-05-2014, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Here is chart with dimensions and weights which may help.
                          Attached Files
                          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                            Depends a lot on your location, and your LWS. Just checked with mine today, they exchange ownership cylinders down to 80 cf. They do on occasion send in smaller oxygen cylinders, for refilling and sending back to the customer. Guy wasn't sure about small shielding gas cylinders. I will check with Airgas and see if they can do it, either filling or exchanging.

Tractor Supply and others are selling them, somebody's got to be filling them.
                            Sure my LWS would send them in to fill them if I wanted to wait 5 days...or whatever it is...but why would I.
                            True I have a co2 bottle for a kegerator that needs to be "filled" and not exchanged, but we were talking shielding I think...?
                            MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
                            Just For Home Projects.

Comment

We have a couple 20# aluminum co2 bottles that have an argon valve and filled with c25 for portable stuff. Pretty handy. Just swap them at airgas just like I do with my beer co2(5#-20# tanks). I believe the 20# tanks are rated for 60ft3 of argon/co2 mix. They are nice and light and very portable. They don't last that long though.
                              MillerMatic 251
                              Maxstar 150 STH
                              Cutmaster 42
                              Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Working...
                              X