Tig Torches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig Torches

OK, so I have narrowed it down to 150 amp air cooled torch. Is a flex head tig torch a desireable thing? You guys that have done lots of it, do you or would you use it to any extent? Or is it worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks? Also, would you fellas recomend 12.5 or 25 foot cable length? Thanx in advance.

Rich: I have 15 foot cables on my regular mig gun and 25 on my spoolmate and wish often that I had longer standard mig leads. It is easier to have longer and keep them tied up than wish you had longer!

Hope this helps some.pjs

Comment

All right, I will go with 25 foot. I dont think they stretch very far. How about the flex head feature? Is it necessary or desirable?

RWG

Comment

Richwrenchguy,
        I think you'll be much happier with th e 25' power lead on the torch, good choice. As far as the flex head versus the rigid head, how much of your work is on the bench and how much is position work where the area is very tight?? I've used both at my "day" job and have come to the conclusion that the flex head can be an asset at times, it's really not worth the extra $$$. At my shop I run Weldcraft tig torches rigid 17v and have tigged in some very tight spots. I would recommend getting a "button" backcap to "shorten" your torch instead of the flex. Everyone who tigs has their own little quirks and you may come to like a flex but , just my 2 cents worth!
        Mike
        MACH4

Comment

richwrenchguy,

I'd go for the 25 foot cables myself. I have a 25 footer at work and sometimes wish I had more since the machine isn't portable, it's a big ol grey box (Lincoln) the torch barely reaches the end of my table and there are times when I have something hanging over I'd like to weld without having to move my work. I'd rather deal with keeping the extra cable than having to try to move the machine as often. That's just my opinion. As for the flex head I've never used one and haven't run into any situation yet that I couldn't tackle with a fixed head. It's all a matter of personal preference though.

Blondie_486
          Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
          Miller 340A/BP
          Victor O/A torches
          Lincoln SP125
          Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
          78 GS1000
          82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

RWG,

I am with MACH4. The short backcap is a nice asset to the rigid head 17 torch. I have a Weldcraft and a Miller. Both have short and long back caps for the tungsten. You can use a rigid head torch with the flat back cap and get almost anywhere a flex head will get for less money and trouble down the road with the flex head. I have a job in the morning to weld a broken inching cable brake bracket on a Toyota forklift. It is a very tight spot, but I am going to TIG with a flat back cap and a rigid head Miller Diamond back # 17. I like it a little better than the Weldcraft due to it's angled head rather than a 90 degree head. Just preference. I would have 50' torch leads if they were easily available. I definitely recommend the 25' torch lead or leads (one or two wire torch).

Comment

I picked up a C-K Flex-Loc 150 amp torch with gas valve, 25 foot 1 piece cable, power lug, 2 foot whip w/tweco connector, 60 foot gas hose and Uniweld flowmeter. Ya, 60 foot hose, that is no typo. I guess with the way this is setup, all one would have to do is put a longer power cable on it and you could reach any where, within reason. Didn't really want the flex loc body, but that was what he had.

The torch body and hose are in excellent shape, only 2 small cuts on hose jacket. Threads in torch head are excellent. All for $100. Looked like he had at least 2 more setups just like it. The guy at the Air Liquide store told me about this guy. He picked up 4 or 5 of these at a local auction.

I might add that it was $100 Canadian dollars, as that is where I live, which equals about $75 US dollars. This rivals ANY deal I have seen on ebay, without the risks. The torch assembly is $250 on the ck website, so I think I did reasonably well. Thank you all for your responses.

RWG

Comment

So, now all I need to do is add some gas and I am all set to do the tig thing. And ascend the slippery learning curve , I suspect. I have a feeling I am going to be making a few more posts. But I guess that is what this forum is for. regards

RWG

Comment

richwrenchguy,
                  Congrats on your new tig torch. I hope you enjoy it! Just remember that trying new tools or accessories for tools takes time and patients. I hope the flex head does everything you want it to do, everyone has their preference on the equipment we use. Let us know how you feel the flex head is working for you.
                  Mike
                  MACH4

Comment

Congrats on the tig torch 25' cable is good and 60' hose is great. Remember if you go to lenghen it, good water tight seal and no damage to the connection or you could fry. Keep us up on the progress, weld well.

Comment

Working...
                    X