Problem running a miller s-22a wire feeder with shopmaster 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem running a miller s-22a wire feeder with shopmaster 300

Hey guys, new to the forums here, I've got an issue I hope you guys can help me solve.. I picked up a shopmaster 300 off Craigslist the other day, it came with a high frequency tig box, spool gun and a wire feeder. When I went to look at the welder, we started it up and I ran a few tig beads, then we went to switch it to mig, and when I would pull the trigger on the mig gun nothing happens. the shopmaster would make a small noise for about 3-4 seconds, and then the noise stops. We opened up the wire feeder, and the feeder wheels will twitch just slighty every time I pull the trigger. The guy I bought the machine from didn't really know a thing about it, he bought it a few months ago and never even used it. He did tell me that when he went to buy it from the previous owner the mig was working. Honestly it could be simple as something not being hooked up right, or a switch or something like that. I'm not familiar with this machine and I couldn't find hardly anything online. Anybody have any ideas what to look for or where to start?

Go into the resources tab and download an owners manual for it to check your set up. The techs here are much more friendly when you post up serial/model numbers of both your pieces of equipment. Pictures of how it is wired up would help a lot too.

Comment

Duh, have to read the question,,,, thinking Synchrowave. Yes the 22A will be fine on the shop master. Toooo hot here , can't think. Apparently can't read either.

You have a trigger to conduit issue, ie, failed gun. Problem is usually in the gun head itself.

Comment

Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I've been out of town for work.
        The serial number is KE615783

I shot a video of the problem hoping it might give you a better idea. Here's the link

http://youtu.be/bHRdxSAP0es

Comment

Cruiser how to I test the "failure to conduit issue?"

Comment

Remove the trigger connection from the feeder and take a piece of mig wire and jumper the trigger terminals at the feeder, to determine whether or not, the problem is with the gun or with the feeder. Opening the shopmaster is a little premature as the feeder feeds wire, which has ZERO to do with the shopmaster operation. Unsure why people do this.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              ....Unsure why people do this.
              Now we know that people will do most anything, even if it makes no sense!!! :-)
              Glen
              Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150

Comment

Right, it's a new machine to me so I was just checking for anything obviously out of wack. I'll try the jumper thing tomorrow morning and let you know. Thanks for the tips I appreciate it

Comment

OK, I jumpered the trigger wires like you suggested, no luck. It does the exact same thing. I hear a click, the drive rolls twitch like they are starting to spin, then a buzzing sound from the shopmaster for 3-4 seconds. Also, it does the same thing when I hit the "jog" switch on the wire feeder.

I disconnected the wires to the motor, tested them with a meter, they are at around 26 volts.

I hooked up the drive motor to a battery, and it operates just as it should. I'm really stumped now.

What else should I check?
                  Last edited by taylor.palmer1; 09-03-2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Make sure that the feeder's control cable connector is wiggled all the way into the shopmaster. If so , then remove it and make sure you have 24VAC between "A" and "G" on the shopmaster amphenol. Metering out and running the feeder motor tells us ZERO

Comment

Cruizer you're the man! I unplugged the 14 pin connection, and it looks like the "G" pin has been broken off way back inside the plug, so it's not making connection. I never would have noticed that!
                      Last edited by taylor.palmer1; 09-03-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Here's what it looks like
                        Attached Files

Comment

pins are replaceable...

Originally posted by taylor.palmer1 View Post
                          Cruizer you're the man! I unplugged the 14 pin connection, and it looks like the "G" pin has been broken off way back inside the plug, so it's not making connection. I never would have noticed that!
                          Fyi if u buy the crimping tool thoose pins in the plug are replaceable.
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

Comment

Well if your going to leave that feeder connecter plugged into the machine, take a piece of mig wire and make your own pin. Shove a very short piece of mig wire into the area where the broken pin is.

Getting the pin extraction tool and crimper is both a hassle and expensive. Your actually only using A,B,G anyways

Comment

Yeah I tried opening up the plug, looks like the plastic housing is married it didn't want to come apart. I figure I should probably get a new cord anyways cause this one is pretty old. I'm the manual it says it's a plg2 cord. I tried looking for one online with no luck. Do you know anywhere that sells them? Or if that's even the right cord?

Comment

Working...
                              X