X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yofish
    • Jul 2014

XRA feeder prob

I have a Miller Extended Reach feeder ser # KF882824 that of a sudden developed a strange problem. In an instant it made a strange arc squeal and the voltage control POT on the power supply smoked and blew a 120V 3A AGC fuse. It was hooked up to an old Hobart PortaFlex that uses continuity for the contactor. When I began tracing wires I discovered that one of the wires in the contactor control circuit was hot when, using a VOM, touched the wire to the case on the feeder - 120VAC. This only occurs when the feeder is in play, even with the gun not connected so it has to be something in the feeder. I always thought that circuit for a contactor control was just a straight pass-through as it is only continuity and not controlling a switch or relay? And if it is a relay, how in the **** could it dump voltage into one leg? On top of that, there isn't anything that looks like a relay on the board.

If anyone has knowledge or thoughts I'd appreciate feedback.

I bought a $10 POT and hooked the gun up via a PSA-2 and a WC-24 and everything works fine which points to the feeder again.
  • cruizer
    • Oct 2004

Without a serial#, can't help much

Comment

• Yofish
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Without a serial#, can't help much
      If you look, you will see that I gave the serial number, KF882824, in the first sentence. I can't help you, to help me, more than that!

Comment

• cruizer
        • Oct 2004

eyes must have been tired.....

anyways, meter out your control cable first

Comment

• Yofish
          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
          eyes must have been tired.....anyways, meter out your control cable first
          First thing I did.

Comment

• cruizer
            • Oct 2004

Well if the case is hot then you have a short to ground, has to be the control cable or a failed auxillary transformer. Thats it. likely running too much or too little power to the XR-A.

Comment

Working...
            X