X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ggodwin
    • Aug 2010

TIG Welding a tight area.

I have a Diversion 165 welder and looking to expand my knowledge/capability. You guy's always level me up. I can't get my cup insider here to weld it like I would like. How do you recommend I weld this bead? It is OK if the weld goes onto the third tube.

I know I need to change my cup size. But what other parameters need to change and what can I expect?

6061 Aluminum 0.035 wall (thin!)
    currently I have a #7 cup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	54C8B6CB-4DB4-4E1B-BE8D-F4389E72C3E2_zpsdcd3ecb2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	532787
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ggodwin; 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM.
  • ja baudin
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ggodwin View Post
    I have a Diversion 165 welder and looking to expand my knowledge/capability. You guy's always level me up. I can't get my cup insider here to weld it like I would like. How do you recommend I weld this bead? It is OK if the weld goes onto the third tube.

I know I need to change my cup size. But what other parameters need to change and what can I expect?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34288[/ATTACH]

A gas lens with a longer tungsten stick out may be helpful.
    sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 350P
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution dry saw
    40 ton press brake
    Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

• kvwall
      • Jun 2012

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34288[/ATTACH]
      Longer stickout. Increase shielding gas flow a bit for the longer stickout. I would attack it from the sides. No need to weld straight down.
      Lincoln Vantage 400
      Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™

Miller Dynasty® 350
      Millermatic 350P Aluminum
      Millermatic® 252
      Syncrowave 351
      Lincoln LN-25 Pro

Multimaticâ„¢ 200

XR-Aluma Pro Gun
      Diversionâ„¢ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
      Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Comment

• ggodwin
        • Aug 2010

Should I start the bead in the deepest of the tight spots?

Comment

• ja baudin
          • Mar 2011

Should I start the bead in the deepest of the tight spots?
          I would weld into or toward the deepest spot, the additional heat input may help the flow of material into that area.
          sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 350P
          30A Spoolgun
          Lincoln Pro Mig 140
          Hypertherm Powermax 30
          14" Rage Evolution dry saw
          40 ton press brake
          Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

• cope
            • Sep 2005

This set would help you. BTW, they are CK Worldwide, not junk.

Stubby Gas Lens Kit for all 17, 18 & 26 series tig torches. This kit allows you to put a 9 or 20 cup onto a 17, 18 or 26 torch head. This kit fitsall 17 & 26 series air cooled torches and 18 series water cooled torches, including the Lincoln PTA-17, PTA-18 and PTA-26 torches, Miller Diamondback DB17, DB18 and DB 26 torches, along with the Weldcraft LS-17, WP-17, WP-18 and WP-26 torches.
            Last edited by cope; 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• walker
              • Oct 2007

Maybe a plain cup might get you further in there as well, try a 6.

Comment

• OscarJr
                • Jun 2014

gas lens + aluminum foil dam so you can get the stick out that you need, or this

CK Micro Tig Torch
                HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

• Portable Welder
                  • Aug 2004

Since both tubes need to be welded you can bring the weld up higher onto the tubes as they spread far enough apart to allow the cup to get in.

Comment

• zank
                    • Dec 2010

Yes, the bead can flow onto the third tube. Just make sure you aren't just bridging the gap. Don't be afraid of a bigger fillet. As Oscar said, a foil dam is a great tool. I use them a lot, especially when working with titanium. With that joint, I'd run a gas lens, #8 cup, and about 18-20 CFH. That should suffice to get the coverage you'll need with the additional stickout.

Trying out a Dynasty by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
                    Mike Zanconato
                    Zanconato Custom Cycles
                    @mzank on Instagram
                    Dynasty 280DX
                    Meco Midget

Comment

• ggodwin
                      • Aug 2010

What do you mean by Aluminum foil dam?
                      I attempted this joint and it did not turn out the way I wanted it to. I think the gas lens may be an new purchase.

Is the gas lens a handy tool to use all the time? or just in these joints?

Comment

• ggodwin
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by zank View Post
                        Yes, the bead can flow onto the third tube. Just make sure you aren't just bridging the gap. Don't be afraid of a bigger fillet. As Oscar said, a foil dam is a great tool. I use them a lot, especially when working with titanium. With that joint, I'd run a gas lens, #8 cup, and about 18-20 CFH. That should suffice to get the coverage you'll need with the additional stickout.

Trying out a Dynasty by Zanconato Custom Cycles, on Flickr
                        Zank,
                        Which welder do you use? I think I'm very limited with my diversion. Not really sure how capable it is.

Comment

• OscarJr
                          • Jun 2014

What do you mean by Aluminum foil dam?
                          I attempted this joint and it did not turn out the way I wanted it to. I think the gas lens may be an new purchase.

Is the gas lens a handy tool to use all the time? or just in these joints?
                          Tig Welding 4130 Tubing with E70S2 rod. Because it Works

a gas lens to save on argon is great if you know how to manage the stick out. If you go stupid crazy on the stick out, then you don't get any gas savings because you have to increase the argon flow. Keep the stickout as low as you can possibly manage, and you will be surprised how low you can turn down the argon flow without oxidation from the atmosphere.

Of course the other edge of the sword is that you can use much longer stickouts IF you are willing to accept the greater argon consumption that goes along with longer stickouts. For these kinds of joints, when you're right in the middle of the "V", you pretty much have to use a longer stickout and accept that you're using more argon for that one joint.

Even then, an aluminum foil dam works great in addition to a gas lens because argon just "rolls" around and off the joint because of it's density. It's denser than air, so it wants to flow downwards before it ends up mixing with the atmosphere naturally. Using both an aluminum foil dam AND a gas lens you can fine tune the argon consumption (the lowest being a close fitting dam and adjusting the argon flow to suit).

Also, make absolutely certain you put a fresh clean grind on your tungsten. Get as long of a taper as you can (3-5x the diameter is what I would use on a 1/16" tungsten if I were you). If you just approach this weld with any old crappy crud'd up tungsten you found in a drawer, you're doomed to begin with. Little things like this (which we can't be sure of unless you disclose each and every single little detail in the beginning of the discussion) are what help out in the long run (meaning it will keep a very stable arc that will not tend to wander off to the sides as much as it would if you did not plan ahead for this type of joint).
                          Last edited by OscarJr; 07-08-2014, 11:23 AM.
                          HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                          HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                          HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                          HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                          HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                          HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                          X