Guess the weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess the weld

Thought I'd give this a shot if anyone is willing. I'll start by posting a picture of a weld, you have to guess the process (and filler if applicable) and if possible the base metal(s). The winner can then post another photo, and so the game continues.
    Attached Files
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

copper tube, brass fittings and silver braze...Bob
    Bob Wright

Comment

That's not a weld. Silphos braze, copper to brass.
      CG
      Old Miller Swinger 180 Buzzbox
      Miller Diversion 165
      1945 Craftsman Atlas Lathe
      Smithy Lathe/Mill

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        copper tube, brass fittings and silver braze...Bob
        Bob got it.
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by chewinggum View Post
          That's not a weld. Silphos braze, copper to brass.
          CG
          See attached
          Attached Files
          Richard
          West coast of Florida

Comment

no

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
            See attached

Brazing (B)

Brazing is "a group of welding processes which produces coalescence of materials by heating them to a suitable temperature and by using a filler metal, having a liquidus above 450oC and below the solidus of the base materials. The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary attraction." A braze is a very special form of weld, the base metal is theoretically not melted. There are seven popular different processes within the brazing group. The source of heat differs among the processes. Braze welding relates to welding processes using brass or bronze filler metal, where the filler metal is not distributed by capillary action.

Soldering (S)

Soldering is "a group of joining processes which produces coalescence of materials by heating them to a suitable temperature and by using a filler metal having a liquidus not exceeding 450 oC (840 oF) and below the solidus of the base materials. The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary attraction." There are a number of different soldering processes and methods.

According to AWS, Brazing, Soldering, Resistance, Arc welding, ETC all fall into the category of "welding processes"
            Click image for larger version

Name:	art75.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	516603
            Last edited by Irritantno9; 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM.

Comment

i would call that silver soldering. clean pipe ends put on flux then heat it enough so the silver solder gets sucked into the pipe and fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritantno9 View Post
                Brazing (B)

Brazing is "a group of welding processes which produces coalescence of materials by heating them to a suitable temperature and by using a filler metal, having a liquidus above 450oC and below the solidus of the base materials. The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary attraction." A braze is a very special form of weld, the base metal is theoretically not melted. There are seven popular different processes within the brazing group. The source of heat differs among the processes. Braze welding relates to welding processes using brass or bronze filler metal, where the filler metal is not distributed by capillary action.

Soldering (S)

Soldering is "a group of joining processes which produces coalescence of materials by heating them to a suitable temperature and by using a filler metal having a liquidus not exceeding 450 oC (840 oF) and below the solidus of the base materials. The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary attraction." There are a number of different soldering processes and methods.

According to AWS, Brazing, Soldering, Resistance, Arc welding, ETC all fall into the category of "welding processes" [ATTACH]34216[/ATTACH]
                After further research, I concede
                Richard
                West coast of Florida

Comment

concede what?

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
                  After further research, I concede
                  I work for a guy that refers to Silver soldering as Welding. It bugs the
                  crap out of me.
                  I think of welding as joining two like metals together with a filler of the same.
                  Brazing and soldering never fit into that category.

I ended up learning from your post that welding does not exclude soldering and brazing from the group of 'welding processes'

I learned something as well. And I cant get so irritated when the boss refers to silver soldering as 'welding'

I am a welder and welding has made me a better brazer and solderer. I can't say the same for those that know how to solder or braze exclusively..

Comment

30 years ago i was a union sheet metal worker in a large shop. Some days i welded and some days i soldered screen onto perforated weldments. Move ahead 30 years i now silver solder once or twice a week putting brass radiator necks onto steel tanks. I didn't think of it as welding but i have never read every welding book or pamphlet either, it was just part of my job...Bob
                    Bob Wright

Comment

30 years ago i was a union sheet metal worker in a large shop. Some days i welded and some days i soldered screen onto perforated weldments. Move ahead 30 years i now silver solder once or twice a week putting brass radiator necks onto steel tanks. I didn't think of it as welding but i have never read every welding book or pamphlet either, it was just part of my job...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Irritantno9 View Post
                        I work for a guy that refers to Silver soldering as Welding. It bugs the
                        crap out of me.
                        I think of welding as joining two like metals together with a filler of the same.
                        Brazing and soldering never fit into that category.

I ended up learning from your post that welding does not exclude soldering and brazing from the group of 'welding processes'

I learned something as well. And I cant get so irritated when the boss refers to silver soldering as 'welding'

I am a welder and welding has made me a better brazer and solderer. I can't say the same for those that know how to solder or braze exclusively..
                        As the definition states, brazing and soldering is a "welding process". Without knowing how it's defined (a weld), one could easily presume it (a braze or solder)would be defined as a weld, at least I did.
                        Richard
                        West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                          Ok
                          Now that we're all on the same page.....I believe the ball was thrown in your court (to post a pic of the weld of your choice) for guessing the process correctly.
                          That is before we shook out all the particulars about process definition.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300
                          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

My understanding is, if the base metal melts and mixes with the filler, it's welding.

If not, it ain't.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
                              My understanding is, if the base metal melts and mixes with the filler, it's welding.

If not, it ain't.
                              Well AWS says if some part of it melts, it's a 'welding process", which is what the OP was requesting we guess.

Could be plastic (non-metallic)

Personally I don't have any peculiar weld process pictures I can post. I few years back I learned how to forge weld, and I have a feeling that would be a hard one to figure out.( if I had a picture to post)

Comment

Working...
                              X