No announcement yet.

Limits of Work PieceThickness Using MIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see what you are saying. The person who explained all of this to me must have left out that there are limitations on the high end of amperage a specific wire can take. But if within those constraints, you could interchange wire size and just adjust the feed rate to achieve the same weld output. Thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Check or down load the GMAW hand book at this link. About page 16. Search for 'current density (saturation). Notice on the one graph .023 isn't even part of the example.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...L-56/c4200.pdf

Comment

I don't know the technical details of wire size to weld output but my experience is that it is silly to consider using .023 wire for anything over 1/8th thick parent material. To argue otherwise is silly and flies in the face of all the welding disciplines.

You should probably run at least 300 amps through your 3/32 smaw electrode or weld 1/2" aluminum with 040 tungsten. That will yield the best penetration at the smallest part of the duty cycle of the machine.

I was using a mm175 w/ .030 er70 wire at work the other day to weld on 3/8" drag chain for a forestry mastication attachment. I kept hitting the friggen duty cycle of that little machine. What a pain.
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
          Check or down load the GMAW hand book at this link. About page 16. Search for 'current density (saturation). Notice on the one graph .023 isn't even part of the example.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...L-56/c4200.pdf
          True... The .023 data was extrapolated based on the charts in the back showing current vs. wire feed speed. They all start at .030 (that should tell you enough just based on that) but a reasonable look will give you an idea where .023 runs...

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyg340 View Post
            True... The .023 data was extrapolated based on the charts in the back showing current vs. wire feed speed. They all start at .030 (that should tell you enough just based on that) but a reasonable look will give you an idea where .023 runs...

Yeh the .023/.025 would occupy a space at the far left of that chart, pretty much starting at about 25-30 amps and going straight up by 100 amps. A guy might squeak a tad more out of it by setting the feed speed on WFO. Not much tho.

I doubt .023 was developed with occupying a significant range of amperages on a chart. Kind of a 'do it all' wire. That would be nice.

Comment

Maybe the final answer was given and I just didn't get it, but i'm still wondering if you can weld thicker materials by making a vee and just using multiple passes. Of course, it can be done but what would the strength be like?
              I have a mm212, which is rated for 3/8 in a single pass. If I were to make a vee on both sides and make multiple passes, would that be as good as using a machine rated for 1/2?
              Jimmydoc

Comment

Yes, it is as good if you are doing a groove joint. Doesn't work with fillets. Just takes more passes, which is harder to control.

Comment

Working...
                X