Miller 330a/bp reverse polarity troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 330a/bp reverse polarity troubleshooting

I bought a well used Miller 330 a/bp welder and have experience using this model of welder from several years back. The problem I am having with this machine is that when tig welding in DC reverse polarity the tungsten is instantly vaporizing when the arc starts. To the point where I hit the pedal and two seconds later then there is nothing left sticking out of the copper collet inside of the torch. I did check the basic switch settings, input jumper settings, spark gap, tig/stick selector, etc. and everything seems to be right there so I'm guessing it's a failed component somewhere.

Here's the kicker: DC straight polarity works great. I have full amperage control, HF start works, etc.

I have no idea what I am looking at in the wiring diagrams. Are there any knowledgeable individuals here who can help me diagnose the problem?

There's nothing wrong with your machine, Tig should be run DC Straight Polarity (DCEN).
    Last edited by cope; 06-08-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

DC Electrode Neg

Originally posted by cope View Post
      There's nothing wrong with your machine, Tig should be run DC Straight Polarity (DCEN).
      +1... Yup DC Electrode Neg.. for just about everything but Aluminum... that is AC..

See the TIG Guidlines below,,,

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/gtawbook.pdf
      Last edited by H80N; 06-10-2014, 07:51 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
      X