miller 12vs versus 12rc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller 12vs versus 12rc

I'm gonna try finding one of these used. I've read on some forum threads that the RCs are easier to weld with/get better results. And, I really don't need to go beyond 50 feet from the power source. But, I have also been told that the RCs might have more issues and costs associated with electronic/mechanical problems. Any thoughts on this? I figure I'd just go with what I can find for a good price.
    Also, is there a difference between the ones that say xtreme and the ones that don't.

Thanks
    Ford F350
    John Deere 510D Backhoe
    Titan Industrial Gas Air Compressor
    JD-Tech 5500 Diesel Generator
    Millermatic 211
    Hypertherm Powermax 45

If you want a welder that welds like your 211 you need to go with the RC feeder verses a VS .

Comment

Rc

If you get the RC (my choice) you will need a control cable at the minium.
      Next would be a gas hose for solid wire.
      And you would need welding cable, I would suggest 1/0, that will go to 400 amps at a real low duty cycle. But the TB only goes 325 CV. And Lets face it if you need 325 amps at 100% duty cycle you would have bought a bigger machine.
      But for farm work it's perfect.
      A 50' work/ground lead and a 50' pos. lead ,male twist lock on the back of the RC
      and female twist lock at the end of the pos. lead.
      A male twist lock and short 1/0 whip with an electrode holder at the other end and you can do anything, including dual sheild.

Later you can add an Air Arc to use your compressor.

Now the VS: Two 50' leads the male/female twist locks, a work/ground clamp(two hands to squeeze and brass pads), stinger/electrode holder with whip. Done.

Lets talk about whips, I thought the perfect whip would be 25'.
      You can use it for a stinger on the tail gate and a whip at the end of some 2/0.
      Turn out it's too short for a stinger and too long for a whip.
      Your whip should be long enough so that you do'nt have to carry the weight of the 2 twist locks in the air. (15' 1/0 is about max)
      I went to a (so to speak) 50' whip. Stinger at the end of 50' of cable, then I back that up with 50' of cable with the twist locks. (this works for my 8RC as the main cable). I also carry two 50' lengths of 2/0 to get away from the truck.( helps the duty cycle also).

Good Luck,
      Bob
      Millermatic 252 w/30A
      Big Blue Air Pak
      Ellis 3000 Band Saw
      Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
      8-RC
      Dynasty 200 DX
      XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
      Millermatic 211
      Passport Plus
      Spectrum 625 X-TREME
      Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
      2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
      SA-200 Black Face '59
      SA-200 Green Lite '84
      SA-200 Green Lite '80
      SA-200 Red Face '69
      SA-200 Red Face '66
      SA-200 Green Lite '81
      '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Miller View Post
        If you get the RC (my choice) you will need a control cable at the minium.
        Next would be a gas hose for solid wire.
        And you would need welding cable, I would suggest 1/0, that will go to 400 amps at a real low duty cycle. But the TB only goes 325 CV. And Lets face it if you need 325 amps at 100% duty cycle you would have bought a bigger machine.
        But for farm work it's perfect.
        A 50' work/ground lead and a 50' pos. lead ,male twist lock on the back of the RC
        and female twist lock at the end of the pos. lead.
        A male twist lock and short 1/0 whip with an electrode holder at the other end and you can do anything, including dual sheild.

Later you can add an Air Arc to use your compressor.

Now the VS: Two 50' leads the male/female twist locks, a work/ground clamp(two hands to squeeze and brass pads), stinger/electrode holder with whip. Done.

Lets talk about whips, I thought the perfect whip would be 25'.
        You can use it for a stinger on the tail gate and a whip at the end of some 2/0.
        Turn out it's too short for a stinger and too long for a whip.
        Your whip should be long enough so that you do'nt have to carry the weight of the 2 twist locks in the air. (15' 1/0 is about max)
        I went to a (so to speak) 50' whip. Stinger at the end of 50' of cable, then I back that up with 50' of cable with the twist locks. (this works for my 8RC as the main cable). I also carry two 50' lengths of 2/0 to get away from the truck.( helps the duty cycle also).

Good Luck,
        Bob
        Thanks for all the help Bob and everyone else. I will keep my eye out for a good used 12RC. In the meantime, I think I will give stick a shot and see how it comes out. Thanks again for everything.
        Last edited by aneuploidy; 06-09-2014, 10:07 PM.
        Ford F350
        John Deere 510D Backhoe
        Millermatic 211
        Hypertherm Powermax 45

Comment

to me having a machine that has remote capabilities I would never buy a voltage sensing feeder. just me. more control with the rc

Comment

Originally posted by cayager View Post
            to me having a machine that has remote capabilities I would never buy a voltage sensing feeder. just me. more control with the rc
            ok, gang. just can't take this any longer. if you want remote capabilities with your 12VS and you are the owner of a miller unit with 14 pin plug then either buy a rhc-14 remote, or a profax knockoff or a wireless remote and adjust the voltage at the machine. bingo.

I have an 8rc, ln25, and 12vs. they can all be operated remotely. the only limitation is distance and that is rarely a factor. frankly when I have found myself on a site on an upper floor I am usually working off a bank of inverters.

there is no difference in comparative weld capabilities of the two units; how many times does miller have to say so.

ok, got to get going. lol

Comment

aneuploidy,

One thing to watch out for if you get the 8RC/VS is the wire types.
              Quantum Arc 6 only comes on the 12'' roll, so your limited in that respect.
              I see a couple of feeders on the List in OR. (8VS and a 12RC)
              Kinda far from TX though.

Just one more thing, 30A spool gun for all your aluminum needs.

Good Luck,
              Bob
              Millermatic 252 w/30A
              Big Blue Air Pak
              Ellis 3000 Band Saw
              Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
              8-RC
              Dynasty 200 DX
              XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
              Millermatic 211
              Passport Plus
              Spectrum 625 X-TREME
              Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
              2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
              SA-200 Black Face '59
              SA-200 Green Lite '84
              SA-200 Green Lite '80
              SA-200 Red Face '69
              SA-200 Red Face '66
              SA-200 Green Lite '81
              '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob.
                Last edited by aneuploidy; 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM.
                Ford F350
                John Deere 510D Backhoe
                Millermatic 211
                Hypertherm Powermax 45

Comment

Working...
                X