(Broilermakers vs pipeftters)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Broilermakers vs pipeftters)

Just past my test for the broilermakers, I want to start my own company one day doing pipe, just not sure how much does broilermakers focus on pipe can anybody answer this question? thanks

have no idea what a boiler maker is but down here your a fitter welder and that's it basicly. but I would like to know what a boiler maker is though.

Comment

I know that when I worked at the shipyard as a pipe fitter, a lot of pipe fitter and boilermaker work was the same and overlapping.

Comment

(Broilermakers vs pipeftters)

Boilermakers do lots of boiler tubes steam pipes and such. Most of the tubes in a boiler are a lot harder than just welding pipe in a shop or whatever. Most in a confined space. Lots of mirror welds partner welding and other tubes that are so close they are in the way of your hands and sight. Mostly tig welding and stick. Boilermakers also do structural for holding up the vessels and boilers to hang from and lots of heavy plate work. It's a good trade but not for everyone. Pipe fitters is a good trade too. Can't really go wrong here

Comment

Originally posted by jim jones View Post
          just not sure how much does broilermakers focus on pipe can anybody answer this question? thanks
          As mentioned above, 'historically' boilermakers and pipefitters each have their own distinct jurisdiction. Some work is similar. B/m's do risers, feeders and downcomers which can get up into larger pipe sizes and are usually done tig root/stick out. Not very often a b/m will be welding on pipe stands. Heavy lifts of shop welded panels done in position. B/m's do a lot of platework. Pressure vessels from the size of garbage cans to 200 ft. high. Put them together (stick and wire) and the first attachment joint. P/f's carry on from there. B/m's also do the fans for inlet air and exhaust. Also the related breaching to the smokestack, the stack itself if steel or the liner if concrete. Also the platework in shipyards. Also dam penstocks and scroll casing that directs the waterflow to the turbines for power production. Also the storage tanks for the oil and gas industry. As you can see, actual pipework is a very small part of a b/m's work.
          As mentioned these are traditional agreements. Now with so much non-union and right to work going on it's coming that anyone can spin their hat around and do whatever makes them a buck at the time.

Click on the lower pics....http://www.boilermakers359.org/pages...mberphotos.htm
          Last edited by OldSparks; 06-02-2014, 09:10 AM.

Comment

that's pretty much what I do down here we just call it welding.when I get called for a job they will tell me it's at a refinery running pipe or offshore setting up platforms. on the pipe welding I hardly ever go on a pipe job that's easy. most times it's to change out a old bad section of pipe that's in a cluster of other pipes.i just finished a job at port fourchon for yellow fin marine I had to change out a flex on one of their exhaust pipes. the guy who went out there the day before put a new flex in and when he was trying to get the rod in between the pipes to finish welding the back side he arced out on the flex and blew a hole in it so they called me out to go fix it.i fought with that thing for hours chasing a pin hole all over the place. about 16 hours into the 19 hour job the port captain said man I think it would have been faster just to go ahead and cut that flex out and put another one in I said yea it would so he goes to his truck and hands me another new flex??????boy was I ticked off. I cut the flex out with a metabo blade and installed the new one in less than 3 hours. the backside welding with a mirror took the longest he should have just handed me the flex when I got there. I use my thermadyne suitcase with a flex nozzle and run stainless wire through it. we never use tig on road jobs only in the shop.

Comment

Thank You guys very much I had One more question out of both Broilermakers and pipefitters who makes the most money and who work longer out of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by jim jones View Post
                Thank You guys very much I had One more question out of both Broilermakers and pipefitters who makes the most money and who work longer out of the year?
                Sorry Jim Jones, but are you asking about being a broilermaker, or a boilermaker?

What does a broilermaker do?
                :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

Comment

Working...
                X