i cant get a handle on airgas,s choice of welding rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i cant get a handle on airgas,s choice of welding rods

a while back, i bought a 50 pounder of 6011x3/32, lincoln rod, its f,n horrible, it will run ok for the first half of the rod then the second half, the flux catchs on fire and the rod will stick unless there is a huge gap when welding, to avoid this, i bought some washington alloy 3/32x6010, very nice rod, nothing last for ever, i called airgas, got 3, ten pounders of 6010x3/32, it was radnors brand, made by lincoln, terrible stuff, it did the same as the 6011, only not as bad. tonite, i opened a 50 of 7018x1/8, airgas usually sells hobart lo-hi. , this can was radnor 7018-1 as with the poor results of the cellouse rods, i expected the same with the 7018, to my surprise, this rod ran as good as any 7018 that i have used. the flux is a bright white, it reminds me of the airco 7018 of yester year, which was a joy to run. i really hope that they get it together with their choice of rods, when they sell a bad product, it really dosent affect any one, but when i buy a bad product, and use it in front of a customer, it reflects poorly on me

I too have had terrible luck with Air Gas and radnor. I purchased some Hobart rod from tractor supply because I was in a pinch and couldn't make a 200 mile round trip just for rod. I was happy with my choice for the time but it's packaged in a cardboard box with no moisture barrier so I won't trust it long. Our local Air Gas is also horrible at having gas of any type available.

I'm shopping for a new supplier. Unfortunately

Comment

Blame Game..??

Originally posted by kevin View Post
      a while back, i bought a 50 pounder of 6011x3/32, lincoln rod, its f,n horrible, it will run ok for the first half of the rod then the second half, the flux catchs on fire and the rod will stick unless there is a huge gap when welding, to avoid this, i bought some washington alloy 3/32x6010, very nice rod, nothing last for ever, i called airgas, got 3, ten pounders of 6010x3/32, it was radnors brand, made by lincoln, terrible stuff, it did the same as the 6011, only not as bad. tonite, i opened a 50 of 7018x1/8, airgas usually sells hobart lo-hi. , this can was radnor 7018-1 as with the poor results of the cellouse rods, i expected the same with the 7018, to my surprise, this rod ran as good as any 7018 that i have used. the flux is a bright white, it reminds me of the airco 7018 of yester year, which was a joy to run. i really hope that they get it together with their choice of rods, when they sell a bad product, it really dosent affect any one, but when i buy a bad product, and use it in front of a customer, it reflects poorly on me
      Have we gotten a little SILLY here??

How can you blame a supplier for your poor purchasing choices..??

Take some responsibility... plan ahead and find a supplier that DOES carry the supplies you need...
      considering that there are several suppliers in or very near Greenfield

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...8&fr=yfp-t-121

Geez...Did they put a gun to your head and take your money??
      Last edited by H80N; 05-25-2014, 06:46 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

very seldom do I ever get to burn a 3/32 rod all the way down. the 7018's will do pretty good but 6011's will just start to glow just past half way and I chunk it and pop in another one.

Comment

I was having that problem with my bobcat 225 Subaru engine. Cruzier said to set the hz to 62.5 it was at 60.5 I believe it helped. Havnt welded a lot with it yet.
          Old setting would really burn those 6011s up.
          Some of the pipe was magnetized though so I really don't know.
          Cruzier said resetting changes the wave forms.

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
            Have we gotten a little SILLY here??

How can you blame a supplier for your poor purchasing choices..??

Take some responsibility... plan ahead and find a supplier that DOES carry the supplies you need...
            considering that there are several suppliers in or very near Greenfield

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...8&fr=yfp-t-121

Geez...Did they put a gun to your head and take your money??
            with replies like this, no wonder there is a high turn over in people on this forum. why are you so anxious to get on my case, this forum is way too full of guys like you who cant answer a question constructivly, ya need to throw insults. did they put a gun to my head, you are a f,n a,hole to say a statement like that, who are you, above us all, my sister, recently went thru some really tough times, she DID put a gun to her head, now she is dead, f.u. i hope you have a nice holiday. i cant believe that you said that.

Comment

i have been talking to some other local welders and they too are seeing changes in the quality of the welding rods. i have heard that lincoln may be importing some of their stuff from china, who knows, all i know is that the quality has suffered over the past few years, as with any thing else that used to be made here in the us and now is imported

Comment

with replies like this, no wonder there is a high turn over in people on this forum. why are you so anxious to get on my case, this forum is way too full of guys like you who cant answer a question constructivly, ya need to throw insults. did they put a gun to my head, you are a f,n a,hole to say a statement like that, who are you, above us all, my sister, recently went thru some really tough times, she DID put a gun to her head, now she is dead, f.u. i hope you have a nice holiday. i cant believe that you said that.
                Kevin

Airgas is NOT my first choice of LWS.. but I do use them on occasion

We are lucky enough to live in a country where we have CHOICE..…

If a supplier is not responsive or does not carry what I need… then I go to another..

If I get a defective product… then I return it..

I am not required to buy from the “STATE STORE”….

So it is our own choice and responsibility as to what we buy and from whom..

Sorry if that offends you

BTW... I did not know and had no way of knowing about your sister and the circumstances... I am sorry for your loss and apologize for the unfortunate coincdence in word choice in figure of speech and your personal situation.... again.. mt sincere condolences for your loss..
                Last edited by H80N; 05-25-2014, 09:48 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200DX
                Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Kevin, h80n was just telling it how it is. You come on here complaining, which leads people to search for possible outcomes for you. The obvious path to take is to stop buying airgases junk products if you don't like them. But with the internet machine nowadays you get to come on here and piss and moan. Don't get angry for somebody not wanting to hear your rant, it's their choice to respond to you however they see fit as you posted on a FREE PUBLIC FORUM! That's what makes this place great, you get unadulterated opinions, which you get to choose what to do with. This place would get pretty boring if everybody recycled the same info, and stories, and patted each other on the back after each post.
                  Last edited by Cgotto6; 05-25-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

ok boys, i was not complaining, i was doing a follow up on the airgas rant, using the rods as an example, i was stating a fact, not looking for answers from any of you boys, i i dont need your help in buying rods, i was telling the good folks here about my experience with my lws which is airgas, i order a rod that is not available at my lws, one time i get washington alloy, the next time, i get radnor, i call them, tell them the rods bite, i returned 2 10 pounders, had to keep the 1 ten pounder that i had opened, even though i was dis satisified with it, i then ordered washington alloy rods, i have not been able to find what happened to that order, that is because, every other week there is a new guy at the counter who knows squat about the business. now you tell me how to do business properly with a situation like this. ya know, its hard enough today to run a business, then when ya chime in on this forum, the people here are way too willing to be rude and insulting. mayby its just me, i spend my 10 hours a day welding in my own business where i have to do it all by myself, i dont have the luxury of time like the most of you complainers do, you guys must be just sitt,n around pulling your pee peees with nothing else to do but be annoying to others on this forum, if you guys know as much as you say you do, you must be full of it, you are hear on the forum more than under the hood, just a bunch of poser wanna bee welders, grow up, go get some work, then you might be more tolerable. i am done with this forum, way too many wannabee,s hear that think that they are the one with the golden arm, golden arm for typing. honestly, you guys, and you know who you are, pull up all of your past post and replies, and see how insulting that you are to other people. there isnt much man in a man that behaves like this, hiding behind the screen. i dont know what else to say,

Comment

Is it welder or weldor..... Sorry I will now stay out of this one.

Comment

OK children, time out, go back to your corners, and think about what you've done. Those of us living in a big city have our own group of problems. Those of us in a rural area don't have the luxury of taking our business elsewhere. If we aren't happy with Airgas, we probably have to drive 100 miles to take our business elsewhere.
                        Dynasty 280DX
                        Bobcat 250
                        MM252
                        Spool gun
                        Twentieth Century 295
                        Twentieth Century 295 AC
                        Marquette spot welder
                        Smith torches

Comment

ok boys, i was not complaining, i was doing a follow up on the airgas rant, using the rods as an example, i was stating a fact, not looking for answers from any of you boys, i i dont need your help in buying rods, i was telling the good folks here about my experience with my lws which is airgas, i order a rod that is not available at my lws, one time i get washington alloy, the next time, i get radnor, i call them, tell them the rods bite, i returned 2 10 pounders, had to keep the 1 ten pounder that i had opened, even though i was dis satisified with it, i then ordered washington alloy rods, i have not been able to find what happened to that order, that is because, every other week there is a new guy at the counter who knows squat about the business. now you tell me how to do business properly with a situation like this. ya know, its hard enough today to run a business, then when ya chime in on this forum, the people here are way too willing to be rude and insulting. mayby its just me, i spend my 10 hours a day welding in my own business where i have to do it all by myself, i dont have the luxury of time like the most of you complainers do, you guys must be just sitt,n around pulling your pee peees with nothing else to do but be annoying to others on this forum, if you guys know as much as you say you do, you must be full of it, you are hear on the forum more than under the hood, just a bunch of poser wanna bee welders, grow up, go get some work, then you might be more tolerable. i am done with this forum, way too many wannabee,s hear that think that they are the one with the golden arm, golden arm for typing. honestly, you guys, and you know who you are, pull up all of your past post and replies, and see how insulting that you are to other people. there isnt much man in a man that behaves like this, hiding behind the screen. i dont know what else to say,
                          Would hate to see you go Kevin everybody here has ability to solve certain problems.
                          Theres only one way for the big stores to see the light and that's stop using them. But I know sometimes you have to use them out of necessity there's nothing we can do about that.

Comment

Nobody's twisting your arm to be here Kevin. Seems your not cut out for the internet. You better get back to burning rod 24/7. Unlike you, many of us have some free time to do other activities other than weld or work, like cruise a forum or two in the evenings.

Comment

The guy has some problems with a certain supplier, he wanted to unload. Get over it. I didn't see any "ultimatums" in the post, nor any violent trends. While I myself have certain problems with this company, I also realize they have their uses, I use them if and when appropriate.
                              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Working...
                              X